News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Fiberglass covers for tractionbars

Started by csheff, October 25, 2019, 10:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csheff

Hi everyone, I've never heard anyone talk about the fiberglass covers that came on the 65 traction bars. What do u know about them or anyone have any pics? What would they be worth roughly?

s2ms

Dave - 6S1757

csheff

SFM5S000

Quote from: csheff on October 25, 2019, 10:05:14 PM
Hi everyone, I've never heard anyone talk about the fiberglass covers that came on the 65 traction bars. What do u know about them or anyone have any pics? What would they be worth roughly?

Hello csheff,

I happen to have a set of originals (see photos 1st & 2nd). I also happen to have a set of Branda reproductions (the set on the left 3rd  pic, and the singles side by side the original 4th for comparisons). The repros are not even close. (too skinny and fit horribly. I worked on the repros some, added some material and re-ground them to fit).

Cheers,
~Earl J

Jbarela

Earl...you have everything!! Dont you want to part with them  to me....wink wink..

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: SFM5S000 on October 26, 2019, 05:49:47 PM
Quote from: csheff on October 25, 2019, 10:05:14 PM

Hello csheff,

I happen to have a set of originals (see photos 1st & 2nd). I also happen to have a set of Branda reproductions (the set on the left 3rd  pic, and the singles side by side the original 4th for comparisons). The repros are not even close. (too skinny and fit horribly. I worked on the repros some, added some material and re-ground them to fit).

Cheers,
~Earl J

Great pictures - thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

mlplunkett

Now, if we only had some good clear photos of the covers installed and photos of the same area with the covers removed we would have everything we needed to fab up a good replication of the original set-up. Anybody with this setup have a camera?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

csheff

SFM5S000

Quote from: mlplunkett on October 29, 2019, 01:56:54 PM
Now, if we only had some good clear photos of the covers installed and photos of the same area with the covers removed we would have everything we needed to fab up a good replication of the original set-up. Anybody with this setup have a camera?

Okay Mickey,

I can help you with that. At one point when I was rebuilding/restoring the car, I bought a set of the Branda reproduction pieces. Was I ever disappointed on the fit is an understatement. I only had the rubber flat pieces with a slit at that time until I found a set of original Override covers.
At the end of the day, I decided to forgo the covers and finished the car without either. I was experimenting with special override bars with one end having Heim joints at the time. (I have my reasons). The attached photos are from when I was massaging the repros in trying to make them work. Adding fiberglass and re-grinding them (see photo) The sliver gaps between the covers and the floor after they are riveted down are filled with 3M  Seam sealer (#08505 Beige) is the closest I could find to what was originally used.
If you want I can take dimensions of the originals and send them to you.

Cheers,
~Earl J

mlplunkett

You're the man Earl. By all means send photos and dimensions of the originals. It doesn't look like it would be too difficult to fabricate these. If I get it worked out maybe I could make some extras. I guess the left and right units are just mirror images of each other so once I get the correct profile for the sides of the box the rest should be pretty straightforward.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction