Author Topic: 68 air cleaner finish  (Read 2805 times)

hurlbird

• View Profile
68 air cleaner finish
« on: October 26, 2019, 08:23:24 AM »
are the raised "ribs" and COBRA lettering a polished aluminum or do they remain natural? getting ready to finish mine correctly. thanks

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: 68 air cleaner finish
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »
Bare aluminum (not highly polished) These were refinished by Jim Cowles at Shelby Parts in Green Bay

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 08:57:45 AM by Coralsnake »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 08:57:36 AM »
Actually closer to sanded rather then polished or natural. If you spay it krinkle black first, then take about an 80 to 100 grit sandpaper in a sanding block, go front to back, sanding off the paint, that's about what is expected to be seen.

Leave the paint on the edge as that's what designates the difference between a 67 and 68 top. The '67 has no paint on the edge. The 68 does.

Let the paint dry a couple of days before you do this otherwise the dust from the sanding will likely stick to the paint in spots. Once it's completely dry and hard you can blow the dust off with compressed air at about 20 psi.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »
thanks! best source of krinkle paint? also please define "edge" a bit more for me please.

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 10:49:04 AM »
Ive never seen any wrinkle finish that you can buy in a spray bomb that matches what the factory put on.   We use a very close powderkote wrinkle in restoring these.  very tough.  stands up to oils.  gas  etc
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 09:19:26 PM »
Actually closer to sanded rather then polished or natural. If you spay it krinkle black first, then take about an 80 to 100 grit sandpaper in a sanding block, go front to back, sanding off the paint, that's about what is expected to be seen.

Leave the paint on the edge as that's what designates the difference between a 67 and 68 top. The '67 has no paint on the edge. The 68 does.

Let the paint dry a couple of days before you do this otherwise the dust from the sanding will likely stick to the paint in spots. Once it's completely dry and hard you can blow the dust off with compressed air at about 20 psi.
Sanded or brushed finish is the way I describe the finish. It has been my experience that a final brush sanding with 150 grit gives a nice comparable finish to untouched originals. I start with 80 then again with 100 and finish with 150.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 06:49:13 PM »
I use the factory Harley-Davidson black krinkle. Every one can get different results ,but I follow directions.
Hint: Walk in backwards ,with pants down.........typical  HD pricing. Very high quality ,typical HD.