News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'68 KR - Clutch

Started by chipchambliss, October 28, 2019, 11:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipchambliss

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy replacement clutch parts? 

TLea

Hi Chip   You'll probably get a million opinions. I have found the RAM 3 finger to be the most consistently reliable. Stay away from diaphram clutches.

Peter L.

Just curious why you are against the diaphram style clutches?
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

shelbydoug

Jim Cowls at Shelby Parts and Restoration in Greenbay was a McCloud dealer. He had them in the 11-1/2" diameter the GT500's use.
I don't know if he is sold out or not. You need to check with him.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TLea

Quote from: Peter L. on October 28, 2019, 03:17:29 PM
  Just curious why you are against the diaphram style clutches?
Lousy pedal feel

427heaven

You can get them at summit or jegs, 6-7 different manufacturers and type of clutches. 3 puck for my race cars and a diaphragm for my street cars, up to 450 horsepower for a diaphragm clutch and easy on the left leg. If you have some more steam then that run a 3 puck performance, race clutch. Look at their clamping force and spline count you will find something that works for you. Good luck!  :)

Peter L.

Agree with the easy pedal effort. I was running a Hays 3 finger style. Great clutch, but kept bending clutch linkage. Went with the Center Force diaphragm style dual friction and love it. Easy pedal effort with still a good pedal feel. Have it behind a 510 hp Cobra Jet with no issues so far. Good street and strip choice. Worked for me anyways.

Pete.
KR 4052

Special Ed

Having trouble finding old style 11 1/2'' 3 finger clutch and pressure plates and running short on nos ford remans. Anybody know where u can send old originals to rebuild and get your original back?  Last time I ordered 428 cj clutches I got 11'' NOT  11 1/2'' .

PR

You can get the ram clutch from Brent Lynkens Motorsport, ram power grip HD, I have used them on 2 ,427 street cars and a CJ mustang, if you're hard on clutches this one can take a beating and lasts

Peter L.

I wouldn't be concerned with using the 11" vs the factory 11 1/2". Unless you are 100% set on using a factory clutch for originality sake, (which nobody is going to see anyway),  the 11" will work just fine. The 11" Centerforce in my car has seen plenty of dragstrip and street abuse with no issues. 
KR 4052

427heaven

Things have come along way in the past 50 years. Technology and materials are light years ahead of the 1960s. Smaller clutches with better material and feel with much better clamping forces are available if you need that. I understand some want an ORIGINAL everything for their cars they just are lacking better performance if they go that route. We used to get out and start our cars with a manual crank until someone figured out a better way, something similar.

Peter L.

KR 4052

pbf777

Quote from: 427heaven on October 29, 2019, 12:26:26 PM
We used to get out and start our cars with a manual crank until someone figured out a better way, ..........

Cadillac  1912 +/-      ;)

Scott.