Author Topic: 1965 fuel pumps  (Read 6227 times)

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
Re: 1965 fuel pumps
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »
This cannister shown is probably too early for the GT350.  Ive seen these on nos remote fuel filter adaptors and screw together pumps  which would put them in 62-64  pumps -  great looking NOS  part nonetheless
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »
This cannister shown is probably too early for the GT350.  Ive seen these on nos remote fuel filter adaptors and screw together pumps  which would put them in 62-64  pumps -  great looking NOS  part nonetheless
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dizzy

• View Profile
Re: 1965 fuel pumps / have 3911S/ sold
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 07:08:15 PM »
I found this one in my Kraft auction ,Jan. 2020 box...$275 + shipping. Came with running engine we had for years... May ‘65 date. Real deal,not a cobbled fake. Nicest one We ever had as rebuildable core. Maybe it should be in classified,but answering a request....only a few requests will go unanswered.....
This has been spoken for. sold
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 08:21:21 AM by Dizzy »

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 05:59:51 PM »
R-Models used the mechanical pumps with SW 240-A electric pumps. I do not recall seeing any fuel pump switches on a R-Model dash, so are they wired to run when the car is running?

Another question is what fuel pressure is normal for a car running the electric pump and mechanical pump combination. Would it be common to see a
+/- 2 psi fluctuation on the fuel pressure gauge?

All input is appreciated, as I'm still working my way through a perceived fuel pressure issue on my GT 350 Competition replica running a Mallory 110 electric pump and a new Carter canister style mechanical pump for daily driving.

Thank you

Don
gt350bp

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 09:29:53 PM »
So this NOS item looks like a good substitute but isn't a "button top". Wonder why they made several different fuel pumps that seem to serve the very same function? I guess even though this one is like new it would still need to be rebuilt to handle modern fuel?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Carter-Ford-1965-1966-1967-289-HiPo-Fuel-Pump-Mustang-Fairlane-Comet-Shelby/401757478890
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 09:55:06 PM »
So this NOS item looks like a good substitute but isn't a "button top". Wonder why they made several different fuel pumps that seem to serve the very same function? I guess even though this one is like new it would still need to be rebuilt to handle modern fuel?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Carter-Ford-1965-1966-1967-289-HiPo-Fuel-Pump-Mustang-Fairlane-Comet-Shelby/401757478890
It would not make sense to invest the 250.00 plus time to rebuild a pump like that given it's short comings in appearance IMO. You ether buy it to live with it as is , find a button top core to rebuild or buy a 641/2 style that is the clamshell design that uses the same rebuild Kit (about 35.00) that later carter pumps use. It is up to you based on your expectations and budget. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2019, 10:03:58 PM »
R-Models used the mechanical pumps with SW 240-A electric pumps. I do not recall seeing any fuel pump switches on a R-Model dash, so are they wired to run when the car is running?

Another question is what fuel pressure is normal for a car running the electric pump and mechanical pump combination. Would it be common to see a
+/- 2 psi fluctuation on the fuel pressure gauge?

All input is appreciated, as I'm still working my way through a perceived fuel pressure issue on my GT 350 Competition replica running a Mallory 110 electric pump and a new Carter canister style mechanical pump for daily driving.

Thank you

Don
gt350bp
It depends on what window in time you are looking at. For instance some R models were fitted with a switch panel on the tunnel that controlled things like fuel pumps and even ignition switch. Others got rid of the horn switch in favor of a electric fuel pump switch. FYI ever tried to reach the ignition switch when belted in with shoulder harness ?

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2019, 10:35:08 AM »
Bob,

Thank you for the answer. I'm wondering how the SW 240 fuel pump was wired on the early cars as delivered from Shelby American? I do not recall seeing any early R-models with separate fuel pump switches, so I assume the fuel pump is wired direct to the ignition switch? I wired my fuel pump to a separate switch with an indicator light in the dash. Fuel pump is actuated and pumps up to 6 1/2 psi for starting and running at all times, but I've been recently seeing a +/- 2 psi fuel pressure fluctuation.

I think I found the problem in the custom Fuel Safe fuel bladder molded to the R-model fuel tank, as the bladder had been degraded by the fuel available in Florida. (93 octane with up to 10% alcohol.) Just sent the fuel tank back to Fuel Safe for repair / replacement on Friday. I think there is a restriction in the fuel pick-up in the bladder, as it would not drain when the fuel line was removed. Fuel cell bladder debris was found in the fuel when finally able to drain. No debris in the fuel filters. Custom fuel cell is about 4 1/2 years old with 5 year prorated warranty.

I'm trying to determine if I want to continue using a full time electric fuel pump or only for pressurizing and priming the fuel system to get fuel to the mechanical pump? I would need to determine an electric fuel pump that allows fuel flow when not activated. Current Mallory electric fuel pump restricts fuel pressure to the mechanical pump when not energized. If a SW 240 allows flow through when not in use, I think I may want to upgrade to an original SW 240?

Any input / suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp 

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2019, 11:10:31 AM »
Bob,

Thank you for the answer. I'm wondering how the SW 240 fuel pump was wired on the early cars as delivered from Shelby American? I do not recall seeing any early R-models with separate fuel pump switches, so I assume the fuel pump is wired direct to the ignition switch? I wired my fuel pump to a separate switch with an indicator light in the dash. Fuel pump is actuated and pumps up to 6 1/2 psi for starting and running at all times, but I've been recently seeing a +/- 2 psi fuel pressure fluctuation.

I think I found the problem in the custom Fuel Safe fuel bladder molded to the R-model fuel tank, as the bladder had been degraded by the fuel available in Florida. (93 octane with up to 10% alcohol.) Just sent the fuel tank back to Fuel Safe for repair / replacement on Friday. I think there is a restriction in the fuel pick-up in the bladder, as it would not drain when the fuel line was removed. Fuel cell bladder debris was found in the fuel when finally able to drain. No debris in the fuel filters. Custom fuel cell is about 4 1/2 years old with 5 year prorated warranty.

I'm trying to determine if I want to continue using a full time electric fuel pump or only for pressurizing and priming the fuel system to get fuel to the mechanical pump? I would need to determine an electric fuel pump that allows fuel flow when not activated. Current Mallory electric fuel pump restricts fuel pressure to the mechanical pump when not energized. If a SW 240 allows flow through when not in use, I think I may want to upgrade to an original SW 240?

Any input / suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

The SW 240 pump does allow a mechanical pump to pull through it when off.  Causes nothing bad to happen in our Cobra unless it is very hot weather or very high altitude (8,000 feet and above).  On the street the only real benefit I know of is refilling carburetor bowls before restart. Our Cobra is using a 1965 factory race shop Weber 4-2V system and the carburetors will become completely dry in just a few days up here in the Rocky Mountains.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.