Author Topic: Later version of R-model apron brake ducts  (Read 5122 times)

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Later version of R-model apron brake ducts
« on: October 28, 2019, 03:01:27 PM »
Where can I get info on the larger vertical brake duct openings in the R-model front apron? Anybody have good photos of the back side of the apron? Anyone have a source for the fiberglass part that transitions from the oval opening to the round flexible duct? Am I correct in thinking that the switch to this style of opening was to increase airflow and move the opening to the outside of the frame rail so that the large hole through the inner fender wasn't necessary? When was this change made?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Later version of R-model apron brake ducts
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 03:07:07 PM »
Where can I get info on the larger vertical brake duct openings in the R-model front apron? Anybody have good photos of the back side of the apron? Anyone have a source for the fiberglass part that transitions from the oval opening to the round flexible duct? Am I correct in thinking that the switch to this style of opening was to increase airflow and move the opening to the outside of the frame rail so that the large hole through the inner fender wasn't necessary? When was this change made?
There is no original part like that .The oval opening in the apron typically had a short oval duct that connected to the turn out pointed at the brake rotor. Yes they moved more air. The new placement allowed a direct flow along the frame rail straight at the rotor.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 04:11:49 PM »
Check out Tony Conover in Hanover, PA. for the valance and the ducts. Shelby Parts has the brake cooling parts as well. You need cooling plates on the brakes to make this all work. Or you could just buy my car and be done... :)

Jim at Shelby Parts has the cooling ducts that do not tie directly to the cooling plates. Again, the cooling parts I am discussing here are the oval style - outboard of the frame rail.

I can get you all the pictures you want of this set up.

Kind regards,

John
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 06:17:11 PM »
Check out Tony Conover in Hanover, PA. for the valance and the ducts. Shelby Parts has the brake cooling parts as well. You need cooling plates on the brakes to make this all work. Or you could just buy my car and be done... :)

Jim at Shelby Parts has the cooling ducts that do not tie directly to the cooling plates. Again, the cooling parts I am discussing here are the oval style - outboard of the frame rail.

I can get you all the pictures you want of this set up.

Kind regards,

John
John,for clarification because it reads like you are saying you use components for one cooling system on the other.  There are two different air cooling systems that were used  .The round hole in the apron which had the round flexible duct that connected to a hose fixture on a modified splash shield . The oval hole in the apron had a oval shaped duct that was  straight and followed the frame rail on the outside. The duct connects to a separate piece of contoured oval duct that points the air flow to the no splash shield rotor assembly. Two separate systems of cooling with two separate types of components. They originally did not mix and match. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 06:42:16 PM »
you are mistaken
SFM5R-madeulook

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 06:45:53 PM »
you are mistaken
Would you care to elaborate? 

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 10:11:43 AM »
The transition duct to the brake is not shown and comes in two configurations and are interchangeable as they slide on. Pics to follow, Basically one is direct to the brake with hose and the other is full size, runs the rail and turns toward to brake. Again, pics to follow,
SFM5R-madeulook

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 10:44:40 AM »
I have photos of the late version ducts as fabricated by Tony Conover. email me at gt350bp@bellsouth.net, as I am unable to post pictures on the site. If someone can post, that would be great.

I do not believe any original cars mixed and matched early round ducts and the oval ducts. There are quite a few replicas with a mismatch of parts however.

Don
gt350bp

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »
The transition duct to the brake is not shown and comes in two configurations and are interchangeable as they slide on. Pics to follow, Basically one is direct to the brake with hose and the other is full size, runs the rail and turns toward to brake. Again, pics to follow,

Thanks for the pics!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 12:20:25 PM »
HMMM your post reads pretty much the same as what I wrote if you review my text ,so what part was I mistaken about? I am still waiting to read what I was mistaken about so I can amend my post.   

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 02:24:46 PM »
Good info. No luck finding those parts on the Shelbyparts web site. Keep the photos coming.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 03:23:54 PM »
I heard Shelby American used the actual bodies of gutted cobra snakes for the hoses. Now that would be a special part you would have to import from India or Egypt. Sold in pairs. (Leave it to me to ruin the neighborhood with my ridiculous commentary.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:26:26 PM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 03:36:12 PM »

I think John is talking about some version of this.

~Earl J

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 06:56:35 PM »

I think John is talking about some version of this.

~Earl J
I hope so because I was talking about the same thing in my post 
The oval hole in the apron had a oval shaped duct that was  straight and followed the frame rail on the outside. The duct connects to a separate piece of contoured oval duct that points the air flow to the no splash shield rotor assembly. Two separate systems of cooling with two separate types of components. They originally did not mix and match.
so you can understand why I wanted to know what I was mistaken about. I can only assume it was a misunderstanding interpreting my post given there was no explanation of what was a mistake as requested. 

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 11:40:48 PM »
These are the photos of the items that Tony Conover provided to gt350bp 15 yrs ago. The current web page for Conover doesn't show any parts so I emailed him to see if they still have these.