Author Topic: Later version of R-model apron brake ducts  (Read 5126 times)

madeulook

• View Profile
Re: Later version of R-model apron brake ducts
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 12:52:33 AM »
Two different brake cooling duct transitions that fit the transition off the apron. The round one requires a section of hose and the cooling plates that route the air to the center of the rotor. Cobra Automotive has those parts. Earl's photo (very cool) shows a riveted hold down bracket on the original duct. I never thought they would be necessary until I had these ducts slip apart a SAAC 39 open track. There is a pretty tight fit with these parts, (only the right side came apart) but I'm guessing the amount of air pressure made the brackets necessary.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:00:57 AM by madeulook »
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 01:46:10 PM »
Two different brake cooling duct transitions that fit the transition off the apron. The round one requires a section of hose and the cooling plates that route the air to the center of the rotor. Cobra Automotive has those parts. Earl's photo (very cool) shows a riveted hold down bracket on the original duct. I never thought they would be necessary until I had these ducts slip apart a SAAC 39 open track. There is a pretty tight fit with these parts, (only the right side came apart) but I'm guessing the amount of air pressure made the brackets necessary.
I don't believe the oval to round transition is vintage original. Do you have any kind of documentation to support the usage back in the day so that I can update my data base? Going from large oval intake to a smaller duct seems counter productive which is why my skepticism .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 10:41:25 AM »
The transition to round fits the cooling plates on the spindle directing air directly into the rotor center. The vintage set up blows the air across into the general area. The racers use the hose set up, which I adopted. The oval ducts, more aligned with the original, will slip onto my apron ducts, and will be my next set up. Now, cooling plates or no cooling plates, that is the next decision.
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 11:08:19 AM »
The transition to round fits the cooling plates on the spindle directing air directly into the rotor center. The vintage set up blows the air across into the general area. The racers use the hose set up, which I adopted. The oval ducts, more aligned with the original, will slip onto my apron ducts, and will be my next set up. Now, cooling plates or no cooling plates, that is the next decision.
My answers where in the context of historically correct which I thought I was clear about and not what you can make work .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 06:14:02 PM »
Tony Conover still has these available. The price is $250 for a full set if anyone besides me is interested.

http://www.conoverracingandrestoration.com/
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction