News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Mag Stars or 10 Spokes

Started by 67 GT350, October 31, 2019, 10:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

It's always amazed me how just changing the wheels changes the entire feel and character of the car.

I vote for the 10 spokes but I like the highlights fully polished as opposed to "machined".

You should realign the front though since the offset does change the steering a little.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

Yes very true, my Magstars are repro and I have original 10-spokes.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 04, 2019, 08:52:32 AM
My car came with the "Deluxe Wheels" so can I put either wheel on it and it is considered, "Right"? I have mag stars on it now but I personally like the 10-spokes, I have a set of original 10-spokes that I would like to get restored, but it seems like this if getting harder and harder to get people who know how to do them right. As far as my car goes, Deluxe Wheels do not mean anything then other than two different wheel choices..
Review reply #4 for reasons of giving latitude to wheel choices in concours.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350DAVE

Your car was shipped from Shelby with Magstars but I agree with others that it is your car and you should go with what makes you happy. There are several places that restore 10 spokes. Shelby Parts in WI. does a really nice job. If you have any questions about your car you should contact the 67 Registrar. He owns a car from your DOS 2548(one of 5 cars) and can answer any questions.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

BGlover67

Quote from: GT350DAVE on November 04, 2019, 12:06:52 PM
Your car was shipped from Shelby with Magstars but I agree with others that it is your car and you should go with what makes you happy. There are several places that restore 10 spokes. Shelby Parts in WI. does a really nice job. If you have any questions about your car you should contact the 67 Registrar. He owns a car from your DOS 2548(one of 5 cars) and can answer any questions.
Dave
And he's a heck of a nice guy.  ;)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 04, 2019, 10:04:13 AM
It's always amazed me how just changing the wheels changes the entire feel and character of the car.

I vote for the 10 spokes but I like the highlights fully polished as opposed to "machined".

You should realign the front though since the offset does change the steering a little.

So, so true. Wheels and tires can so change the look and feel to an incredible extent.
Nothing beats a classic!

BeaterGT500

I have the same dilemma with my Gotham Ford sold car, number 683.  I got to speak with Bill Kolb a few years ago, and he confirmed that they frequently swapped wheels among cars in stock to suit the buyers wishes.  I got lucky and have original sets of both 10 spokes and Magstars, but I prefer the 10 spoke look so that's what I'll put on the car.  Also it seems like the Magstars lug holes might be more prone to "ovaling" if not regularly torqued down?  Just a hunch, the ten spokes seem a bit thicker.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

shelbydoug

Quote from: BeaterGT500 on February 15, 2020, 01:46:38 AM
I have the same dilemma with my Gotham Ford sold car, number 683.  I got to speak with Bill Kolb a few years ago, and he confirmed that they frequently swapped wheels among cars in stock to suit the buyers wishes.  I got lucky and have original sets of both 10 spokes and Magstars, but I prefer the 10 spoke look so that's what I'll put on the car.  Also it seems like the Magstars lug holes might be more prone to "ovaling" if not regularly torqued down?  Just a hunch, the ten spokes seem a bit thicker.

I don't know what the sales numbers of 67 Gotham Shelbys is, but considering Kolb was the "High Performance Salesman of the Year", it was probably a lot?

An early picture of my car shows it with Magstars. I found the original owner and he didn't know the difference between the wheels so he was no help.

I remember when I was a kid, I went with my parents to buy a Ford Pickup truck. They came out of there with a Yellow Fairlane 500. Impulse buying at it's finest!

I wonder how many Shelbys got sold that way?

Listen to the story that Howard Parde tells of buying his first Shelby. It was a '65 GT350. It was Larsen Ford in White Plains and Kolb was the salesman. Kolb wouldn't let him leave until he bought the car.

I also KNOW Kolb would put aftermarket wheels on the car and eventually you couldn't buy these cars without his special package which included undercoating, fuzzy dice on the rear view mirror, floor mats, and a tiger tail hanging out the gas tank.

He is one of THE most aggressive salesmen I have ever met. Don't ever give him you home address, He'd show up at the door with a car for you to buy and wouldn't let you into or out of the house until you bought it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68krrrr

My Marti report on my my newly acquired  67 gt500 specifically says Aluminum 10 spokes
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68krrrr on February 16, 2020, 12:53:49 AM
My Marti report on my my newly acquired  67 gt500 specifically says Aluminum 10 spokes
That still does not preclude the wheels from being swapped before selling to first owner. Wheel swaps to make a new car deal are well established  67 Shelby lore.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Folks are having difficulty with this much freedom Bob?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

tesgt350

I have a friend that wanted a 1978 Trans Am so he went to the Pontiac Dealer and saw two, one was Silver with Light Blue Valor Interior and one was Bright Blue Metallic with Gray Valor Interior.  He actually talked the Dealer into doing a complete  swap of the two Interiors including the Dash and Steering Column.  I think the Headliner stayed though.   

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 17, 2020, 09:22:56 AM
Folks are having difficulty with this much freedom Bob?
Scary, right?

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 15, 2020, 10:19:59 AM
Quote from: BeaterGT500 on February 15, 2020, 01:46:38 AM

I don't know what the sales numbers of 67 Gotham Shelbys is, but considering Kolb was the "High Performance Salesman of the Year", it was probably a lot?

An early picture of my car shows it with Magstars. I found the original owner and he didn't know the difference between the wheels so he was no help.

I remember when I was a kid, I went with my parents to buy a Ford Pickup truck. They came out of there with a Yellow Fairlane 500. Impulse buying at it's finest!

I wonder how many Shelbys got sold that way?

Listen to the story that Howard Parde tells of buying his first Shelby. It was a '65 GT350. It was Larsen Ford in White Plains and Kolb was the salesman. Kolb wouldn't let him leave until he bought the car.

I also KNOW Kolb would put aftermarket wheels on the car and eventually you couldn't buy these cars without his special package which included undercoating, fuzzy dice on the rear view mirror, floor mats, and a tiger tail hanging out the gas tank.

He is one of THE most aggressive salesmen I have ever met. Don't ever give him you home address, He'd show up at the door with a car for you to buy and wouldn't let you into or out of the house until you bought it.

Gotham Ford appears to be the highest volume selling dealer in 1967. I estimate around 110 units of '67 Shelby's were sold.

Some further details on dealers volumes were compiled in our SRG group on this topic.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/shelbyresearch/hQpBJ5mlwYw
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar