Author Topic: Coil Spring and leaf spring markings  (Read 5544 times)

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Coil Spring and leaf spring markings
« on: October 31, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking for final finish detail of the original springs for my 66H along with paint stripes of any kind.  Any direction in description along with pictures would be appreciated.  I will be reusing my original front coil springs and bottom leafs for rears.

Thanks
Shawn

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Coil Spring and leaf spring markings
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 11:43:27 PM »
When do you estimate the car was finished at San Jose? And what are the dates on the leaf springs.

Coil springs will typically be a since red - the tone and tint of the red varied so that is why the questions
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 12:43:03 AM »
 Jeff, would greatly appreciate any spring paint marking information you may have on a mid October 65 San Jose built k code that became 6s281. Leaf date 237e5.
Thanks very much, Karl
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 07:04:52 AM »
These are 207 and 237 springs from a SJ GT car built late Sept. or early October, 1965.

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 08:19:56 AM »
As mentioned yesterday, if you are fortunate enough to have originals, always go by those.

On the leaf springs, by that time in production, I always see the yellow and green "stripes" rather than the "round" markings.

Below are restored examples of both. BTW, it is interesting to note that 6S933 originally had one style on one side and the other style on the other side.

Below are a few pictures of the original front coil springs on 6S1732. It's tough to see, but in addition to the white markings, there are also reddish brown markings.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 09:17:14 AM »
Here is the original rear spring from 6S923 before restoration.
Texas Swede

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 10:10:25 AM »
Here is the information I received from Howard Pardee regarding build date.  I will post pictures of the coil springs showing white paint stripes (not sure if that's the only marking) and leaf spring date stamp later today.

"6S1816 would have been scheduled to be built the 5th or 6th of April 1966. The key word here is "scheduled". The actual date is not known. The actual production day could be affected by parts shortages or labor problems. Since the car was shipped to Hertz 4/26/66 and it only took about a day or two to ship from San Jose to Shelby American and it only took Shelby American about a day to convert the car into a GT350, I would say that the 5th or 6th is pretty close. The actual production day could be affected by parts shortages or labor problems at San Jose and, of course, Shelby American could have had the same problems."

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 11:28:37 AM »
6S1757 also has original leafs like Brant's photo in reply #4, one having stripes, the other daubs. Although certainly rare and NOT typical, it was seen that late in production (late March SJ).

There was a discussion about the white coil spring stripes on forum 1.0. Most springs did not have the white stripes, only red or reddish brown. IIRC the white stripes were some sort of specification variation identifier, something like a little stiffer, or softer than the norm.
Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 03:11:11 PM »
Jeff, would greatly appreciate any spring paint marking information you may have on a mid October 65 San Jose built k code that became 6s281. Leaf date 237e5.

rockhouse66 Posted a typical example from your date range (hitting it right on the exact date). This matches what I've typically found from the same - spray dots

Here is the information I received from Howard Pardee regarding build date.  I will post pictures of the coil springs showing white paint stripes (not sure if that's the only marking) and leaf spring date stamp later today.

As mentioned in the earlier (now gone thread) the white stripes are typically applied at a different time using a different method (sprayed) to indicate that the fell outside of the rating when tested. Workers would install two matching front springs  (with or without stripes) when it came time to build a vehicle. Examples of white stripe coils can be found in all applications and were not used to identify (in 66) the application

Spring dates are the best way to identify pattern since a set from one shipment could be mixed with an earlier or wait around in the rack and mixed with a later. So this makes it more specific if we have matching examples in the data base
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 07:20:06 PM »
Here is 373 Karl, same dated stamp leaf as yours
Front coils have a faint red/burgundy color line
6S373
6S1276

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 09:46:39 PM »
Thanks Trent, I am now very anxious to study my one  I am Anxious to study my one original leaf spring.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 10:24:58 PM »
As mentioned yesterday, if you are fortunate enough to have originals, always go by those.

On the leaf springs, by that time in production, I always see the yellow and green "stripes" rather than the "round" markings.

Below are restored examples of both. BTW, it is interesting to note that 6S933 originally had one style on one side and the other style on the other side.

Below are a few pictures of the original front coil springs on 6S1732. It's tough to see, but in addition to the white markings, there are also reddish brown markings.

6S2020 ford build last week april first week May.

Coil springs original to car, same as Brants example , white/redish brown

Leaf springs original to car, same as left one in Brants photo, green/yellow dots

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 11:45:59 AM »
Here are the pictures of the stamping on the rear leaf and coil paint stripe.  I also notices visible signs of black paint on the coil when removing the top insulators.  My assumptions is they are to be painted black then strips added.  I could not find any stripes other than what looks to be white on the bottom 4 coils of each.  Any samples of a finished restored coil available?

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 11:53:33 AM »
Just for the fun of it here are some pictures of the car 1816 as found and current

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 12:43:40 PM »
Here is a set of restored coil springs.

Please note that these were just put back exactly the way these particular springs were found. This particular set did not have the white markings.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang