Author Topic: Removing paint from wiring in trunk on 68 Shelby  (Read 11100 times)

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Removing paint from wiring in trunk on 68 Shelby
« on: February 23, 2018, 08:33:13 AM »
I am in the process of freshening up the trunk in my 68 GT350 using the Coralsnake website as a guide.  The wiring in my trunk was unfortunately painted body color when they painted the trunk.  Is there any good way of stripping this paint without damaging the harness?

billups67

• View Profile
Re: Removing paint from wiring in trunk on 68 Shelby
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 09:34:53 AM »
Thinner or enamel reducer on a rag on a woven mesh harness? Let me know how that works out. I'd say your going to have to order on more harness from Pete.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
Thinner or enamel reducer on a rag on a woven mesh harness? Let me know how that works out. I'd say your going to have to order on more harness from Pete.
+1 . The weave material is porous and so you even if it didn't break apart when you rubbed on it because it is so brittle with age , the paint is probably deep in the surface on will be impossible to get out safely .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 12:31:23 PM »
I was a bit afraid of that Bob but I think I will try the two solvents suggested by billups76 and if it just does not work out I will give Pete a holler and buy a new cable.

Thanks for the help guys.

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »
I have used ZEP   paint stripper (zep off) in aerosol.  Sprayed harness  and let sit for few minutes then hung up in my was bay and used pressure washer to wash off  keeping distance not getting too close to damaged woven material  and had some success.

chris

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 12:42:49 PM »
Thank you Chris, I will check that out.  Obviously would have to have the harness out of the car to do that.

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 05:57:49 PM »
I have used ZEP   paint stripper (zep off) in aerosol.  Sprayed harness  and let sit for few minutes then hung up in my was bay and used pressure washer to wash off  keeping distance not getting too close to damaged woven material  and had some success.

chris

Chris, I sent you a PM.  Don

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 07:12:51 PM »
Maybe a bit of lacquer thinner.. strong and evaporates quickly.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 07:42:56 PM »
Maybe a bit of lacquer thinner.. strong and evaporates quickly.
Yes but the problem is the braid is fragile after 50 years and when you start rubbing on it at the very least it will start to fray and the worse it will crumble.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 08:03:29 PM »
If you can get it out, submurge it in evaporust (I know it sounds crazy) for 3-4 days and the evaporust wont destroy the mesh (DONT scrub it).  Once you get the paint loose use brake cleaner to wash it off.  That should bring it back.  If for some reason the evaporust doesnt do it, use acetone. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:24:57 PM by Greg »
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Sxty8KR

• I've wanted an early Shelby since I was 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 08:51:39 PM »
   Well, when I have wanted to get paint off of something, especially into corners or something non smooth. I have let it sit in brake fluid for a day or two. It usually is quite soft and comes off easily. I think it would be a less harsh thing to try on the covering first and then on a small area at first.   :)

Steve
Seattle, Wash.
68 KR  #3777