Author Topic: 68 GT350 rear axle housing  (Read 5287 times)

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
68 GT350 rear axle housing
« on: February 23, 2018, 09:49:39 AM »
I have had my 68 for many years. Not running. Some of you are going to shoot me for this but in the mid 90's. I took some parts off of it for my race car. The race car was at least a 69 Mach 1. I can not remember if I pulled the rear axle housing.
Is it supposed to have necked down axle tubes or straight. Is the straight one in the pics it? I know the axles only have two recessed holes. But they are 31 spline.
I am trying to get it finished in time for this years SAAC meet in Sonoma.

PS How do you remove the over spray on door tag. Without ruining the door tag.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 68 GT350 rear axle housing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:23:51 PM »
My original housing does not neck down.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »
I have had my 68 for many years. Not running. Some of you are going to shoot me for this but in the mid 90's. I took some parts off of it for my race car. The race car was at least a 69 Mach 1. I can not remember if I pulled the rear axle housing.
Is it supposed to have necked down axle tubes or straight. Is the straight one in the pics it? I know the axles only have two recessed holes. But they are 31 spline.
I am trying to get it finished in time for this years SAAC meet in Sonoma.

PS How do you remove the over spray on door tag. Without ruining the door tag.
67-70 nine inch does not neck down. You might try a little lacquer thinner for a test . The silk screen on the tag will be very hard after 50 years and so will not immediately react to the lacquer thinner.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 07:08:06 PM »
Thank you Bob. I looked closer at the dirty one that I took pictures of.  Of course you are right and it is necked down. Same diameter as the one in the car. Now just to figure out which one is the right one for the car. Where on the housing would I find the silk screen? What about the rear axles only having the two recessed holes? Or do I need to look through my stuff to find ones with the three recessed holes? I wish now I had not taken pieces off. I should shoot myself. Thanks again for your help.

PS Any Idea how to get the over spray off without messing up the door tag? I still have to repaint the car. Over spray was done sometime before 1987.

Roger

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 07:14:13 PM »
Bob I just reread you response and see where you said silk screen is on the tag. Are you talking tag for the third member. If so that was gone before I bought the car. If not where are you talking? I think someone used the car for autocrossing or light duty track time. Due to other modifications.

Thanks for your help.

Roger

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »
The rear end tag is reversed stamped and attached to one of the banjo's studs. It is not silk screened.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 07:26:46 PM »
Think he was talking about your door tag

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 07:56:38 PM »
Thanks Shelbydoug and KR Convertible. Shelbydoug that rear end tag is long gone. Which is a bummer. KR Convertible I bet you are right. He was talking about the door tag.

Thank you guys for the help.

Roger

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 09:30:41 PM »
Thanks Shelbydoug and KR Convertible. Shelbydoug that rear end tag is long gone. Which is a bummer. KR Convertible I bet you are right. He was talking about the door tag.

Roger

I'm pretty sure that you can buy a very accurate reproduction. Speak to Mr.Gaines about that. Perhaps he can offer some help or other suggestions in replacing it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 09:32:23 PM »

Roger
          ;)  .                              Try to clean it first before considering a repro door tag.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 03:19:20 AM »
Your door tag should clean up nicely. Take your time and don't use anything harsh
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help. I will work lightly with the tag. I would really like to keep the original. I am thinking it would be best to leave it on the door, so it has the correct pop rivets.

Thank you all.

Roger

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 10:25:00 AM »
I can't post pics of the rear and axles because of a recent stupid phone crash and the new ones refusal to cooperate with uploading pics.

You can PM me here if you want the pics. It might help you identify the right parts out of the pile?

Eventually I will be able to whip this phone into obeying me but for the moment, that ain't going to happen.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help. I will work lightly with the tag. I would really like to keep the original. I am thinking it would be best to leave it on the door, so it has the correct pop rivets.

Thank you all.

Roger
FYI correct rivets can be sourced easily if need be.

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 06:15:38 PM »
You could also try one of those plastic pry bars to gently scrape the paint.  Even if the silkscreening isn't perfect, I think most people would prefer to see an original tag.  If you do go with a repro tag, make sure you put your original somewhere safe.  Same goes for buck tag and Shelby VIN tag.