News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Jay Leno reviews the 2020 GT 500

Started by deathsled, November 03, 2019, 01:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on November 04, 2019, 04:14:37 PM
You will have some gm dealers attempt to raise the msrp. But as stated, so many will be built that those poor fools that want to hold out for their ADM will eventually have a stale and moldy product in their show room.

GM has already created and generated a lot of interest in their new product, so much so that it is sold out. Their ultimate and true purpose is market domination through maximizing their sales

Quote from: 2112 on November 04, 2019, 03:55:50 PM
Corvette ADMs tend to be short-lived as production ramps up the market becomes saturated.

Ford Understood that the ADMs on the new FGT is a P.R. fiasco. I am surprised they don't see it with the new GT500's.

The sales strageies of the two companies is showing through the mist a little here.

GM is looking to saturate the market at 59.995. It will benefit their dealers because it is already causing a feeding frenzy.

The key to the C8 is going to be to wait it out. There are going to be a bunch of one year old cars with little mileage that the buyer either leased or bought and for one reason or another is disappointed or no longer interested.

Look for one of those and let someone else take the loss on the depreciation.

The 500 is a different story. Ford is so limiting production that it is going to enable dealers to sell way over sticker on a car with a sticker already 20 thousand over the C8.

The C8 is going to be EVERYONE'S competition. Wait and see how this plays out.

The number Ford put on the car is virtually arbitrary much like the GT is. They could probably show you numbers that they are sold at a loss even at 90. By limiting the number they build, they limit the total loss they take. Their presumption is that they can't sell enough of the 500's at a lower number.

GM is betting that they can and more then break even at the base price because of the volume.

This is a very interesting game that the two are playing. Maybe GM is amused by the Ford vs. Ferrari and is picking it with Ford themselves with the C8?

I'm all ok with that. It can only have a trickle down effect that will benefit us all.  ;)

I KNOW Ford is watching the C8 scenario. It effects their decision on if there will be a new 300k GT?

This is starting to look like the late 1920's with luxury car makers trying to sell 20 thousand dollar cars after the crash. Reality of a vanished market is going to hit.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

+ 1 agree with your assessment

GM has issued a manifesto (C8)  preparatory to a declaration of war.

Let's see how its competitors domestic and forgein answer (if either can) it.

Telling you it's not just a domestic issue, they have established a new world order.

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 04, 2019, 05:21:42 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on November 04, 2019, 04:14:37 PM
Quote from: 2112 on November 04, 2019, 03:55:50 PM

The sales strageies of the two companies is showing through the mist a little here.

GM is looking to saturate the market at 59.995. It will benefit their dealers because it is already causing a feeding frenzy.

The key to the C8 is going to be to wait it out. There are going to be a bunch of one year old cars with little mileage that the buyer either leased or bought and for one reason or another is disappointed or no longer interested.

Look for one of those and let someone else take the loss on the depreciation.

The 500 is a different story. Ford is so limiting production that it is going to enable dealers to sell way over sticker on a car with a sticker already 20 thousand over the C8.

The C8 is going to be EVERYONE'S competition. Wait and see how this plays out.

The number Ford put on the car is virtually arbitrary much like the GT is. They could probably show you numbers that they are sold at a loss even at 90. By limiting the number they build, they limit the total loss they take. There presumption is that they can't sell enough of the 500's at a lower number.

GM is betting that they can and more then break even at the base price because of the volume.

This is a very interesting game that the two are playing. Maybe GM is amused by the Ford vs. Ferrari and is picking it with Ford themselves with the C8.

I'm all ok with that. It can only have a trickle down effect that will benefit us all.  ;)

I KNOW Ford is watching the C8 scenario. It effects their decision on if there will be a new 300k GT?

This is starting to look like the late 1920's with luxury car makers trying to sell 20 thousand dollar cars after the crash. Reality of a vanished market is going to hit.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

The C8 is just a much better looking car then the Shelby at virtually every perspective.

There is no amount of hp that can be put into the Shelby to make it handle with a mid-engine car. In fact it's entirely possible that it is dangerously overpowered now?

Let's see a mid-engined 60 thousand dollar car from Ford. They might be able to sell enough of them to balance the ledgers at that price?

Look at Ford's history. They have NEVER stayed with these "exclusive" models for more then a few years. The list seems endless. They have carried the model names but when they do they have changed from the original concept that created the name.

GM has stayed with the concept of the Corvette from the beginning. What's wrong with this picture?

It's also unfortunate to see that the Mopar boys continue to market striped taxi cabs. I don't think that they ever understood or cared to? I think they got those guys from "Weird Science" to conjure up a super car. Good thing they didn't give the cars double d's. Where would you get bra's for them?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Ford knows the future is electric self driven ride share pods.

They will be very careful on how much they spend on ICE performance.

Tom Honegger

I've been a Ford fan for many years, since the mid 60's and love to watch
them compete and be successful both on the track and on the street.
However, I must admit that Chevrolet, with the Corvette has been much
more consistent than Ford, both in what they offer the public and their
track record...pun intended. I think Ford has "missed the boat" by
offering a great car (2005-06 Ford GT) for such a limited time, then
do the same thing with the latest Ford GT. Why not continue to
build, develop/improve and race a car as Porsche has done with the 911 and as Chevy
has done with the Corvette, in particular the C5, 6, 7 and now the C8?
Like I said, I've always been a Ford guy, but given the choice? Corvette C8
wins hands down over the new GT 500.

427heaven

FL SAAC

+ 1

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 04, 2019, 07:47:02 PM
The C8 is just a much better looking car then the Shelby in at virtually every perspective.

There is no amount of hp that can be put into the Shelby to make it handle with a mid-engine car. In fact it's entirely possible that it is dangerously overpowered?

Let's see a mid-engined 60 thousand dollar car from Ford. They might be able to sell enough of them to balance the ledgers at that price?

It's also unfortunate that the Mopar boys continue to market striped taxi cabs. I think they got those guys from "Weird Science" to conjure up a super car. Good thing they didn't give the cars double d's.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

+ 1

Quote from: Tom Honegger on November 05, 2019, 09:09:59 AM
I've been a Ford fan for many years, since the mid 60's and love to watch
them compete and be successful both on the track and on the street.
However, I must admit that Chevrolet, with the Corvette has been much
more consistent than Ford, both in what they offer the public and their
track record...pun intended. I think Ford has "missed the boat" by
offering a great car (2005-06 Ford GT) for such a limited time, then
do the same thing with the latest Ford GT. Why not continue to
build, develop/improve and race a car as Porsche has done with the 911 and as Chevy
has done with the Corvette, in particular the C5, 6, 7 and now the C8?
Like I said, I've always been a Ford guy, but given the choice? Corvette C8
wins hands down over the new GT 500.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

There were regulatory changes that prevented the '05-'06 FGTs from being continued. Pedestrian impact ride height being one I remember. The car needed a complete redesign to meet those regulations.

They also foresaw the '07-'08 meltdown coming before all the other manufacturers. Remember, they didn't bankrupt.

They also see what the buyers will look like in the next 10 years. They won't look like us gearheads.

Just saying  8)

kjspeed

Jade Green Metallic actually. That's MY kind of green! Slurping on 110 octane through 4 Weber carbs. Enough to give AOC the vapors!

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 04, 2019, 12:34:16 PM
Quote from: kjspeed on November 04, 2019, 11:47:06 AM
Proof that Ford has sold out: https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1121543_2021-ford-mach-e-what-we-know-about-300-mile-electric-suv

Not that they are developing an EV, but that they have the audacity to use the Mustang name on a $%#& SUV. Can't wait for the GT500 version of that.  ::)

You have a green Shelby don't you? Highland Green?
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt