News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1965 Sebring Cobra Banner

Started by terlingua11, February 23, 2018, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terlingua11

I subscribe to Garage Style Magazine and received an email blast the other day. I scrolled down and it listed that the 1965 COBRA banner from the SA team sold for 37K at Mecum. Wow, totally missed that one. I recalled the Friedman pictures of the crew working on the cars and it hanging in the background. I posted the link and a few pictures. Did anyone see it at Mecum?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-317364/1965-cobra-powered-by-ford-banner/
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Bob Gaines

Quote from: terlingua11 on February 23, 2018, 11:35:45 AM
I subscribe to Garage Style Magazine and received an email blast the other day. I scrolled down and it listed that the 1965 COBRA banner from the SA team sold for 37K at Mecum. Wow, totally missed that one. I recalled the Friedman pictures of the crew working on the cars and it hanging in the background. I posted the link and a few pictures. Did anyone see it at Mecum?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-317364/1965-cobra-powered-by-ford-banner/
Vern's mad he didn't get it . ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

terlingua11

He should be, it would be super cool to have. The only problem is, at 37K, you can't put gas in it and drive it!!  ;D
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Richstang

Somebody was scammed out of a shipload of cash!!!
:o

The original Sebring banner has a bolder font and the "Powered by Ford" line is not the same size either.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

terlingua11

Rich, nice observation. I posted the pictures so quickly that I missed that. Good Eye. Interesting that they state:
"This banner is shown in historic photos and posters hanging in Shelby's shop in Los Angeles and in the garage area of Sebring in 1965"

Clearly, as Rich pointed out, the banners are different compared to the BW photo-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

BGlover67

I'm sure Mecum will stand behind the sale and refund the money, right? ::)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

mark p

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Bigfoot

If that's not real somebody got ....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Greg

Quote from: Bigfoot on February 23, 2018, 05:24:31 PM
If that's not real somebody got ....

Whoever had that kind of dough to throw down on a banner probably doesn't care :-)
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1