Author Topic: Registering out of state Shelby in California  (Read 4388 times)

shelby101

• View Profile
Registering out of state Shelby in California
« on: November 04, 2019, 11:10:12 PM »
Question...I need to register my newly acquired Shelby here in California and the out of state title (car was purchased from the east coast) has both the Shelby Vin and Ford Vin listed as the Vin#.  I will need to get the vin verified and do not know if California will accept both.  Has anybody here experienced this situation?
Thanks! 
Kevin DiCeglie

rjcassling

• View Profile
Re: Registering out of state Shelby in California
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »
I know someone in LA who might be helpful?

What part of the state are you in?

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 10:15:06 AM »
FYI

Registering a Vehicle From Out of State Checklist
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/checklists/outofstate
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

SBCARGUY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »
Question...I need to register my newly acquired Shelby here in California and the out of state title (car was purchased from the east coast) has both the Shelby Vin and Ford Vin listed as the Vin#.  I will need to get the vin verified and do not know if California will accept both.  Has anybody here experienced this situation?

If the verification in California lists one or the other, preferably the Shelby vin.. You should be "just fine"

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 08:09:13 PM »
What year? DMV is dumb no they are stupid - extremely stupid. Get all your documents in hand along with every scrap of paperwork/article you can find that Shelby American manufactured the car NOT Ford Motor Company. Your goal is to walk out of there with ONE VIN on the paperwork the one that SA assigned the car. The original MSO on the car was issued by Shelby American not Ford. Check with a registrar for paperwork and info on your car. At worst let them put the Ford number in the engine serial number spot - it's really for motorcycles but if they insist on using it so be it.
BTW - CA DMV is stupid. It's up to you to educate them and don't be afraid to demand the supervisor step in and keep kicking up to the next level until you find an employee who can make the right decision.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelby101

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 11:30:20 PM »
Update...I have a friend in the PD who contacted Vin verification department.  The officer came out and was able to verify just the Shelby Vin.  I have an appt next Tuesday with DMV.  Crossing my fingers...LOL!!

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate the feedback.  Looking forward to showing off the car...I am from the Fresno area. 
Thanks! 
Kevin DiCeglie

shelby101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 10:21:59 PM »
Well, I was able to register my 1967 gt350 #78 without a hitch!  I am glad that's behind me.  See you guy's at the events!!
Thanks! 
Kevin DiCeglie

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08:23 PM »
Cali. It’s weird...My car is registered as a Ford GT500 under the Shelby vin.Been that way since before I bought it in 82...go figure... ::)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 10:26:58 AM »
Well, I was able to register my 1967 gt350 #78 without a hitch!  I am glad that's behind me.  See you guy's at the events!!

Be aware that the same issue that existed in 1967 when the car was new, still exists today. If the Shelby VIN tag is removed (as in what could happen if the car is stolen) there is no way for law enforcement to find the car under the Ford VIN and it likely will show as "clean" in the computer and could be registered from a bill of sale.

The Shelby Registry IS NOT a legal document.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelby101

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 10:44:14 AM »
Correct Shelbydoug!  We ran the Ford Vin separately and the result was "nothing found." 
Thanks! 
Kevin DiCeglie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 11:53:19 AM »

Be aware that the same issue that existed in 1967 when the car was new, still exists today. If the Shelby VIN tag is removed (as in what could happen if the car is stolen) there is no way for law enforcement to find the car under the Ford VIN and it likely will show as "clean" in the computer and could be registered from a bill of sale.
Scary thought....
The Shelby Registry IS NOT a legal document.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »
Cali. It’s weird...My car is registered as a Ford GT500 under the Shelby vin.Been that way since before I bought it in 82...go figure... ::)

That is how it SHOULD be registered. The "Make" on my '66 is GT350 , model is cpe and the vin is SFM6S477.  NOT Ford or Shelby.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 01:21:27 AM »

That is how it SHOULD be registered. The "Make" on my '66 is GT350 , model is cpe and the vin is SFM6S477.  NOT Ford or Shelby.
.  Yeah but Ford as manufacturer,but with a Shelby vin (which is stamped on a vin plate which is emblazoned with Shelby American inc.)??? Only way that makes sense is if the Cali dmv (or it’s computer)didn’t recognize Shelby American inc. as a manufacturer at some point.....

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 10:33:53 AM »
[/quote]

I have a registration card for my 66 from 1975, and the CA DMV had it registered as "Make" GT 350, "Body Type Model" SED 09, and VIN SFM651134.  They apparently thought the S was a 5.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
I have a registration card for my 66 from 1975, and the CA DMV had it registered as "Make" GT 350, "Body Type Model" SED 09, and VIN SFM651134.  They apparently thought the S was a 5.
                             Thinking the S was a 5 is a common mistake regardless of state it seems from other along with personal accounts over the years.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:39:30 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby