News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Proper Oil Cap for a 65 and 66 GT350

Started by Greg, November 05, 2019, 08:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

I was researching oil caps to see what the proper assembly line oil cap is for a 65 and 66 GT350 and found there are two specific types.  One has the square box FOMOCO and one has the oval box FOMOCO.  I am looking for an original one for a 65 in good condition so which should I be looking for?  Thanks
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Brant

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Greg

Quote from: Brant on November 05, 2019, 08:20:53 AM
The oval style in correct for a '65.

Thanks Brant, is the square style for a 66?
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

kingchief

Oval style with the 2 dimples!  ;D

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Brant

Quote from: Greg on November 05, 2019, 08:32:23 AM

I have seen the oval style throughout '66 production.
-Brant

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

gt350hr

+1 , the block was '67 and later , + service parts.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on November 05, 2019, 08:32:23 AM

Here is a over view. As it pertains to Shelby's ,the closed emission cap (one with nipple) with the FOMOCO in script inside a oval was used on 65/66 . For 67 the GT350 emission equipped cars only used the closed emission cap with the FOMOCO in block letters inside the rectangle .  68 GT350 used the closed emission cap with FOMOCO in block letters inside the rectangle.  69/70 GT350 used the same closed emission cap but marked with AUTOLITE.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

There is a nice repop out there with oval Ford script with hose connection, but no dimples.  I believe the dimples are from a spot weld.

It is possible to purchased a NOS black version with correct markings and dimples and then have chromed.  It does require some disassembly and re-crimping the the lower flange.  I think S2MS may have discussed on the prior forum 1.0.  Finding a chrome NOS version is much harder.  There are used versions that do show up on a popular auction site, but you need to be patient.

Cory

gt350hr

+1 Cory.
    To add a bit , the logo stamping rarely goes below the surface unlike the photos above. The spot welds aren't usually as obvious either.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

kingchief

Cory helped me 4 years ago with the black version.  He broke it down and then I sent it off to re-chrome.  Looks very good [see photo].  As he said, very hard to find a NOS or GOOD used one.

Thanks Cory as always.  The only thing was re-crimping the lower flange.  I tried but eventually gave up as you really cannot see it from the top.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

GT350Lad

Looks good Steve. I have been looking for a good NOS or used for a few years now with no luck?
Who sells the repo?
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

Bob Gaines

Quote from: GT350Lad on November 05, 2019, 03:09:26 PM
Looks good Steve. I have been looking for a good NOS or used for a few years now with no luck?
Who sells the repo?
Cheers
NPD or Virginia classic. Just be sure to pick the one with the correct trademark because there are several choices.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Brant

There is only one reproduction of the emissions style (push on with nipple for hose as correct for the '65-66 GT350) oil cap available.

The original did not have an ® marking. The reproduction is the same.

The difference in the two is the presence of two spot weld dimples on most originals. Otherwise, the reproduction cap is spot on.

https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/CHROME-PUSH-ON-OIL-CAP-WITH-TUBE-AND-FOMOCO-OVAL-STAMPING-P1337.aspx

-Brant

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276