News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Power Steering Belt Alignment

Started by rmarble57, November 07, 2019, 11:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmarble57

Hello,
Looking for a bit of assistance regarding GT350 Power Steering.
If you look at the picture attached of the lower crank pulley (which is a C7 number) there is a "gap" between the alternator and P/S grooves.
With that in mind, to align the belt from the P/S pulley to the crank pulley there is a secondary 1/4" spacer on the long bolt holding the top of the P/S pump.
I tried a C6 pulley where there was no "gap", but that pulley would not even fit down in the hi-po balancer.

The only thing that is missing from my setup is the small bracket on the back of the pump to that same long bolt, but that is very thin and wouldn't make up the difference.

I'm stumped as to why my setup needs this additional 1/4" spacer added for alignment.

I would also appreciate any pictures that others might have so that I could compare.  I searched through the forum, but didn't see anything.

As always, it is great to have a community of enthusiasts willing to help others.

Thanks in advance

rmarble57

For Clarity, here is a picture illustrating the spacers.

Bob Gaines

Get rid of the odd ball thin extra spacer. Put everything else as it should be crank pulley ,spacer ,PS brace etc. While using the correct tool pull the power steering pulley into alignment to solve your problem . Only move just enough to achieve alignment. With all of the other parts correct that is the only adjustable part.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bossbill

The Snap-on site does not list sizes for their power steering hub puller -- just general things like Ford, Chrysler, etc.
However, more than one puller says it will work on Ford.

Since we have pro-restorers here, perhaps they know which one works on the large 67 1 3/8 Shelby hub:
CJ113
CJ117C
CJ124A
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bossbill

I know what you're thinking.
Call Snap-on.
I did but they didn't know either. Other than the CJ124A is larger.
Acting on a hunch I bought a CJ124 (no A) from eBay and it just fits.
Bill

Scode67FB

The aluminum bracket that the pump mounts to is usually bolted up against a cast iron bracket that supports the AC pump.  On applications without AC, you need a spacer to make up for the thickness of that cast iron bracket. Which direction are you off? Does the pulley need to move out from the engine or back? Which aluminum bracket do you have? Does it have a "C7" part number or "C8"?

Bossbill

The OP noted he has a C7 bracket.
Since he has to move the pump toward front of car, that indicates pulley is too far back (on pump shaft).

Here is what I have. However, we have no idea where your pump internals came from. And it doesn't matter.
Assemble this with the stock large spacer, thin bracket at rear and use a puller to get correct belt alignment.
Bill

Scode67FB

His post mentions nothing about the aluminum bracket. He states he has a "C7" crank pulley. He may, though, in fact have the "C7" bracket if the PS pulley is too far back. The "C8" bracket would put the PS pump pulley farther forward. A pic of his pulley alignment would help.

rmarble57

Just as a point of clarification.
My belts are aligned with both the alternator as well as the P/S pump.
See pictures named Belt 1 & Belt 2.
I cannot find a part number on the aluminum bracket.
See picture named Belt 3
However.   There is a 2nd spacer between the aluminum P/S bracket and the head.
See picture named Belt 4
The shaft on the P/S pump is just about flush with the outside hole of the pulley.
I have not tried to pull the pulley further out on the shaft and then removing the extra spacer.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Scode67FB on November 18, 2019, 03:50:52 AM
His post mentions nothing about the aluminum bracket. He states he has a "C7" crank pulley. He may, though, in fact have the "C7" bracket if the PS pulley is too far back. The "C8" bracket would put the PS pump pulley farther forward. A pic of his pulley alignment would help.
The PS pump bracket that came on all 67 Shelby's as well as Mustangs was the C7AA marked bracket.It would not be too far back but just right. Why don't you post a picture showing the difference in mounting between the C7AA  marked bracket and the C8 version . I only have C7AA marked brackets otherwise I would do it. I would like to see that.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

427heaven

JD... I would like to nominate you, as our in house personal illustrator for your awesome pictures and illustrations. Easy to understand these minute details and variations in parts, and your passion to convey them. Keep it up my friend.  ;)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on November 18, 2019, 09:38:00 PM
Does any of this help?
That is only for the C7AA bracket. I know JD knows this but for others ,small letters/numbers =TRW ,large letters/numbers =Ford Thompson. I want to read more about the different alignment Scode67FB says that a C8 marked bracket has compared to the C7 bracket.

Scode67FB

I'll try to get the "C8" bracket out tomorrow and post pics of it for comparison. It's actually off a 68 429 engine, but it looks identical to the "C7" bracket (except for the additional depth). The same PS pump will mount to it, and it almost looks like it could be used and line up correctly without the spacer. I don't know if it was used on anything other than the 429. I don't this bracket is the issue the OP is having If it were, the PS pulley would be sticking out too far.
One thing, though from his pics, shouldn't he have a two-groove water pump pulley and have the PS belt go over the water pump to the crank? I've never seen a setup that only ran between the PS pump and the crank.