Author Topic: Are these a decent set of heads for a 289 hipo build?  (Read 3321 times)

Thomas

• View Profile
Are these a decent set of heads for a 289 hipo build?
« on: November 12, 2019, 02:24:28 PM »
Hey guys. I was able to come across these heads from the stash of a longtime 60’s Ford racer who lives in my neighborhood. I’d love to get any opinions from you guys as to what you might know about these.

Thomas

• View Profile
Re: Are these a decent set of heads for a 289 hipo build?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:25:26 PM »
Couple more pics.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
I believe these are service HiPo heads with the C8 part number.  They were never an assembly line part.  They are 289 on top and 302 on the bottom. They also have the provisions for the  smog control injectors, currently with a plug.  They will not bring as much money has a head with a date code that works well with an assembly date to a K-code Mustang or early GT350.

Best of luck

Cory

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 03:45:28 PM »
What do you think they might be worth?

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 04:42:48 PM »
If you buy them .  take a porting tool out and grind down the smog bumps.  Im not sure you can get $400 for them as they didnt come on anything .  good head for a hot rod engine
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 05:06:21 PM »
I have a chance to buy them at a decent price, but before I did I wanted to see what the group thought of them for use in a hopped up 289 in my drag car. I’m assuming as they are  warranty replacement Hipo heads that the performance should be pretty good for the low price.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 03:39:58 AM by Thomas »

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 08:06:59 PM »
I have a chance to buy them at a decent price, but before I did I wanted to see what the group thought of them for use in a hopper up 289 in my drag car. I’m assuming as they are  warranty replacement Hipo heads that the performance should be pretty good for the low price.

Hi Thomas,

I think you nailed it.  Same performance at a lower price.

Cory

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »
  Thomas,
     Full background on the C8ZE head is this. In mid '67 when the '68 line up were being organized for actual production, the "initial" plan was to release a "HiPo" 289 but that quicky changed to a HiPo 302. Several "revised" parts were "pre made" so that engine assemblies would be in place when car production began. The HiPo 302 package was to include the heads you are looking at , the C8ZE version of the 289 HiPo balancer, the C8OE 302"HD" rods with 3/8ths rod bolts ( Later sold off as Muscle Parts) and some other parts as well. That engine was dropped at the last minute in favor of the more exotic Tunnel Port 302 which was eventually dropped too. None of the "higher performance" ( beyond the "J" code) engines were made except as "prototype" engines never installed in a production car. This resulted in a large inventory of pre made parts for non existent engines. So those parts were "sold off" through the Parts and Service Division as "replacement parts"
   In other words , none of them were "created" to be sold over the counter as some have suggested. Except for smog passage revisions , the C8ZE head has the same potential as the earlier C5OE versions. They are usually valued less because they are known as "over the counter only " parts as already mentioned.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 12:19:57 PM »
Wow!! Thank you so much for the information. That's unbelievable that someone has learned and retained that knowledge after all these years...lol

As my car is being restored as close to in "As raced" condition that I can determine, these should be perfect since the car is missing the original engine and the entire straight axle transformation has been done with mostly "over the counter" parts from the Ford & racing catalogs of the day. I've also located a date code correct 7B12 engine block which will be built / machined to match as close to a Hipo spec as possible. Now I just need to research which rear gear set to use with a factory 4spd to get the best 1/4 times out of the 289. The car is VERY light and the engine is set back 8-10" in the chassis.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 02:11:34 PM »
  Thomas,
     Full background on the C8ZE head is this. In mid '67 when the '68 line up were being organized for actual production, the "initial" plan was to release a "HiPo" 289 but that quicky changed to a HiPo 302. Several "revised" parts were "pre made" so that engine assemblies would be in place when car production began. The HiPo 302 package was to include the heads you are looking at , the C8ZE version of the 289 HiPo balancer, the C8OE 302"HD" rods with 3/8ths rod bolts ( Later sold off as Muscle Parts) and some other parts as well. That engine was dropped at the last minute in favor of the more exotic Tunnel Port 302 which was eventually dropped too. None of the "higher performance" ( beyond the "J" code) engines were made except as "prototype" engines never installed in a production car. This resulted in a large inventory of pre made parts for non existent engines. So those parts were "sold off" through the Parts and Service Division as "replacement parts"
   In other words , none of them were "created" to be sold over the counter as some have suggested. Except for smog passage revisions , the C8ZE head has the same potential as the earlier C5OE versions. They are usually valued less because they are known as "over the counter only " parts as already mentioned.
     Randy

Hi Randy,

That makes sense.  I think there was also a HiPo Carter fuel pump for that HiPo 302.  I think S2MS has found that pump in the Ford Master Parts Catalogue and even found used or NOS version of that fuel pump.  I wonder what other parts were made and not used?

Take care

Cory

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 03:58:43 PM »
I don't think they are legal for the F.A.S.T. car events due to the 68
Part number in a 67 chassis. If that is what.you're planning.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 04:52:52 PM »
  roddster,
    Not with a "8-10" engine set back" , LOL I think his is "gasser style".

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 05:01:28 PM »
   Thomas ,
       PM me your combination or put it out here if you wish and I'll help you all I can. I have been drag racing since '66 and started driving race cars in '67. I have a bit of experience LOL.
   Randy

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
Randy,

You may have read the other thread on my car. (B/FX racer found in Chicago)?.
It has a full break down on the car, but basically this is what I have planned:

289 bored or stroked to a 302. Large cam, slightly ported hipo heads and Hilborn fuel injection stacks.
The trans is a stock GT-350 4spd. I’m not very sure what the car weighs in at, but it’s pretty light.
I was thinking that the rear gear should most likely be around a 5:13 locker. The rear springs are stock AM Early GT 350.

I’m only going to exhibition race the car, no competition or anything like that.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 12:40:18 PM »
     Yes I do Thomas . I was just responding to roddster.

A car like yours would have been an actual Gas class not B/FX ( which didn't allow straight axles or engine set back). A popular gear "in the day" would have been 5.14 or 4.86 and yes the Detroit locker was most common. Since you aren't going to race it seriously , a 4.11,4.30 or 4.57 would also work. "I" would look for a tire in the 28" tall range and not a "pie crust" as those were on the way out by late '66. The vintage Hilborn unit will work well with the ported HiPo heads and is actually too small for a head that flows more air! To keep it "simple" you could run the C7FE LeMans cam for the "sound" without allot of maintenance. With the 289 it would have fit into D/Gas IIRC
       Randy