News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Need help identifying a 289 block.

Started by Thomas, November 08, 2019, 04:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Hey everyone. I came across an 289 engine that has an interesting VIN / casting sequence. I need any help I can get to see if it's worth purchasing.

The block cast number is C6AE-6015-C, but the VIN stamped into it is 8K222264.
Does the K make it a Hi-Po?

acman63

Im not sure they made any C6 casting hipos   always  C5AE       maybe a 302  in a big car
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Thomas

Quote from: acman63 on November 08, 2019, 04:49:55 PM
Im not sure they made any C6 casting hipos   always  C5AE       maybe a 302  in a big car
I thought the same thing. It was the letter "K" stamped into the VIN on the block that caught my eye.
The date code is 7F8 so, 1967 June 8.

CSX4781

That's a regular 289, and a partial vin that all of the 68 later motors are supposed to have.  That k means Kansas City assembly. Likely came out of a mid size car (Fairlane,  Torino, etc) for that plant. It should also have a big WF cast in the lifter valley which indicates the Windsor Ontario foundary.

Dave

Thomas

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know. Please excuse my ignorance of the casting, stamping numbers.

GT350Lad

Quote from: Thomas on November 08, 2019, 05:15:36 PM
Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know. Please excuse my ignorance of the casting, stamping numbers.

All good. We are all still learning
6S373
6S1276