Author Topic: '67 Oil Pressure Sender Extension ?  (Read 3190 times)

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
'67 Oil Pressure Sender Extension ?
« on: October 19, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »
It appears that I have a bit of seepage at one of the ends on my extension.

I was going to remove and either reseal, or replace, until I saw that my oil pressure sender appears not to be connected by an electrical wire, but what looks to be a very small id plastic line. I'm assuming a small vac line.

Please educate me as to what I am looking at, and how best to deal with it ?

Thank you in advance.

Bob
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: '67 Oil Pressure Sender Extension ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »
Yes the plastic tube runs to the under dash gauge.  That extension on the engine block provides for the tube. 

The standard Ford oil pressure sending unit was not used on '67 Shelby's and the wire that ran/runs to the sending unit on the Ford set-up is cut back up near the top forward end of the drivers' side valve cover.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »
JD,

Thank you for the information.......

Is there a special way to remove/install the sending unit on the extension.... or the tube ?

Thanks again,

Bob
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 04:01:37 PM »
JD,

Thank you for the information.......

Is there a special way to remove/install the sending unit on the extension.... or the tube ?

Thanks again,

Bob
There is not electrical sending unit. It  It is a screw in steel adapter for a compression fitting and nut. A clear plastic line runs to the mechanical gauge under the dash.On a GT 500 it only goes on one way . The GT350 extension can be rotated . Basically It is best to have the pipe thread opening on the extension clocked so it points as close to vertical as reasonable. On a regular Mustang this was accomplished by orientating the electrical sender /extension assembly at a + or - angle specified and illustrated in the electrical assemblyline manual that you should have  ;) if you plan on working the cars with any kind of degree of historical accuracy.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 06:44:34 PM »
Thanks Bob..... kinda what I thought. Does the plastic line become brittle/fragile with time ?

I'm assuming I need to be very careful with it........
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 08:35:23 PM »
Anyone have a picture?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 08:43:16 PM »
Thanks Bob..... kinda what I thought. Does the plastic line become brittle/fragile with time ?

I'm assuming I need to be very careful with it........
Yes ,especially if you have the original one . 50 years does a number on the plastic.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 03:28:22 PM »
  It is Stewart-Warner brand plastic line.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 04:44:51 PM »
  It is Stewart-Warner brand plastic line.
Some were marked as such most were generic looking with no markings.

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »
If I somehow mess it up, can the plastic line be sourced ?
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 10:01:25 PM »
If I somehow mess it up, can the plastic line be sourced ?
Certainly . It comes in a typical generic mechanical oil pressure gauge installation kit. You can buy the installation kits separately . Jegs ,Summit ,Orielly's etc.

onelimegold

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
SW NOS kit looks like this .

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 01:22:13 PM »
Even though the discussion is about the plastic tube I wanted to point out the fittings. The SW installation kit was included with the SW oil pressure gauge used in a 67 Shelby. The installation kits ether SW or other more generic variety typically come with attaching hardware. Unlike most generic hardware kits which typically consists of brass fittings the fittings that came in the SW installation kits were a non typical zinc plated steel. Also the one piece steel fitting for the engine side is different in shape from the typically 2 piece brass generic fittings .  FYI brass will readily plate with zinc for a appropriate historically accurate look. So if the original steel fittings are not readily available zinc plating the brass fittings is the next best alternative IMO.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 01:25:51 PM »
Notice the plastic line in the NOS SW kit pictured is of the more typical unmarked variety.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 08:23:29 PM »
This is hose from an SW hose kit dated 11-4-67.  The hose is marked in this case.

-Keith