Author Topic: Pre purchase inspection  (Read 2525 times)

gpm6367

• View Profile
Pre purchase inspection
« on: November 11, 2019, 09:03:05 PM »
Anyone interested in looking at a GT350 for me in Columbus IN 47201?

Bill G

• View Profile
Re: Pre purchase inspection
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »

I just felt compelled to respond to your request with a not quite satisfactory experience I had.  About ten years ago I hired a gentleman to do a pre-purchase inspection of a 1968 GT350.  Flew him to St. Louis, put him up in a motel, paid for a real nice dinner and paid his fee.  I also met him in St. Louis.  Well, the whole affair went pretty good and I did purchase the car.  But part of the service was to prepare a written report of the inspection and send it to me.  The gentleman simply refused to ever provide the written report, even after I had made numerous requests.  His name:  Bill Collins.  I have always wondered why Bill would not perform.  So I don't recommend hiring him.

Bill in Ohio

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 06:57:13 PM »
Bill, your point is well taken.  If contracting for an inspection I would insist on a bullet point checklist.  Not unlike an AP performed annual.  All points signed off and legally binding.  Vehicle to be put on a lift with through chassis inspection for corrosion and collision damage, or extent of such repairs.  These cars all have a rust history.  Matter of knowing exactly how bad.  Compression test,  oil pressure, and road test at speed to conform no over heating issues or mystery vibrations.  If automatic have an ATSG professional inspect. 

Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 10:09:51 AM »
If spending "Shelby" dollars and if knowledgeable, do it yourself.  If not, be there in person along with the "expert".  If that can't happen, you get what you get.  Just my $.02.

1969shelbygt350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »
I got my car inspected by an expert! I was there with him and see what was wrong with the car. That’s the only way to do it

Thx

Phuong

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 06:25:20 PM »

I absolutely concur with all you guys, and I'm sure most any experienced car collector does: have to lay your own eyes on the
car prior to purchase. 

Bill in Ohio