News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

New Drake Cobra Intake Manifold

Started by s2ms, November 13, 2019, 11:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2ms

Dave - 6S1757

Must see an opportunity with production of Blue Thunder being so sporadic.

6s1640

This one looks much closer to OEM than the Blue Thunder and thus could be more attractive to potential buyers. 

Cory

csxsfm

For What its Worth:  Was told by a retailer that Drake responded to their manufacturer inquiry that the manifold was produced "overseas."

Coralsnake

Probably like the Drake wheels- China

csxsfm

Just received a new Dell computer.  Box says "Made in China."  Can't avoid it today.

acman63

Blue thunder is ALL  made in America and their quality is always superb.  I havent seen any of the Drake ones yet  but looking at the picture  Im sure there will be tell tale signs  of it being a repo
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

pbf777

Quote from: csxsfm on November 14, 2019, 10:02:42 AM
"Made in China."  Can't avoid it today.

BE AMERICAN, BUY AMERICAN!        ;D

Scott.

csxsfm

It would be interesting to know if Drake asked any US manufacturers to quote and also what impact the licensing fee for the Cobra name had on their sourcing decision.  Puzzles me why Ford Performance doesn't have these manifolds built.  Consistent with their obvious lack of interest and abandonment of vintage performance parts.

Coralsnake

I believe Drake was sold and is all offshore stuff

Quote from: acman63 on November 14, 2019, 10:20:17 AM
Blue thunder is ALL  made in America and their quality is always superb.  I havent seen any of the Drake ones yet  but looking at the picture  Im sure there will be tell tale signs  of it being a repo

+1

shelbydoug

Blue Thunder products are of the highest quality but not the most accurate or authentic.

They always leave something off or do something a little different then the original.

In the case of the Blue Thunder S2MS Cobra intake, he changed the ports on the carb pad to two ovals from four individual ports.

I don't answer for Drake or Blue Thunder but I suspect that this change is a large motivation for making another reproduction part, not one to confuse the "market"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

cbrown

I saw it on table at drakes booth at SEMA .  I took pictures to compare to original  but have not done yet.  Might get to that today and report back.

chris

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cbrown on November 17, 2019, 09:54:20 AM
I saw it on table at drakes booth at SEMA .  I took pictures to compare to original  but have not done yet.  Might get to that today and report back.

chris
Chris, which original would you be comparing it to? ;) There are a number of different S2MS intakes each with their own unique identification marks. You know from your repro parts business research that it is typical for the after market not knowing any better to use the last part available before it went obsolete as a pattern . They don't typically take into account the evolution assemblyline parts go through over time in the service system. For example the Blue thunder is copied after the later large number S2MS intake used on later 67 and various 68 GT350's with the smog mounting provisions. It was one of the last ones you could find NOS because it was used as a service replacement as well. Of course the Blue Thunder has some identifying shortcomings compared to the one it was copied after. From the pictures I have seen the new Drake looks to have been copied after the earlier S2MS intake without the later style smog bracket mounting provisions.  It may be best just to post some pictures of the new intake.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 17, 2019, 12:05:40 PM
Quote from: cbrown on November 17, 2019, 09:54:20 AM

chris
Chris, which original would you be comparing it to? ;) There are a number of different S2MS intakes each with their own unique identification marks. You know from your repro parts business research that it is typical for the after market not knowing any better to use the last part available before it went obsolete as a pattern . They don't typically take into account the evolution assemblyline parts go through over time in the service system. For example the Blue thunder is copied after the later large number S2MS intake used on later 67 and various 68 GT350's with the smog mounting provisions. It was one of the last ones you could find NOS because it was used as a service replacement as well. Of course the Blue Thunder has some identifying shortcomings compared to the one it was copied after. From the pictures I have seen the new Drake looks to have been copied after the earlier S2MS intake without the later style smog bracket mounting provisions.  It may be best just to post some pictures of the new intake.

That could be another justification for making it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!