News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

How long are you planning on keeping your favorite Shelby product?

Started by Side-Oilers, November 13, 2019, 02:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjspeed

When I bought mine in 2017 (my first Shelby) the plan was to keep it for 5-10 years until I built my 68 hotrod and then move it down the road. Can't see myself selling it at this point. But very soon I'm going to have more cars than a person can drive regularly and I'm not one to keep something that just sits around. I'm not a museum curator. But the Shelby will be second-to-last to go. The hotrod will be last because it's one I've built from the ground up. Right now I have a couple grandkids nearing or at driving age that would appreciate them. Maybe they'll take me for rides when I'm too old to drive?
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

SFM6S087

I've owned my 1966 GT350 since 1979 and have no plans to sell. But I might reconsider that if I ever get to the point that I can't drive it. Cars are for driving. Art is to look at. I'm not an art collector.

Steve

Stillakid54

68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

I hope we can still buy fuel (reasonably) in 20 years.   :-X

Shelby_r_b

This is a great question.  And, I would guess that almost all on the forum would say that they won't sell until absolutely necessary.  The truth is, as we know, no one can predict the future.  I love the cars I have and would love to keep them as long as possible.  However, life happens, and things can change on a dime.  Illness, finances, etc.

Unless someone is buying with the intent to sell, most of us purchase with the intention of keeping indefinitely.  However, sometimes like marriage (unfortunately) it doesn't always work out that way.
Nothing beats a classic!

gt350hr

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 13, 2019, 06:37:41 PM
Quote from: gt350hr on November 13, 2019, 05:17:50 PM
    Since I shot my mouth off about this on that thread , I don't have any kids or family to leave it to so I will probably sell mine when I feel like it. I'm not going to rush into it as I have had it for 45 years already. The history of mine is in drag racing and it will stay that way as long as I own it. I'm sure it is the longest continuously drag raced GT350 ( if not SAI vehicle) ever. IF and when I do turn it out , it will be to someone who appreciates that , not by how much they can flip it for , or someone who wants a day one car.
    Might be a tough sell , LOL Oh well .
       Randy

I HATE PEOPLE THAT EVEN THINK ABOUT FLIPPING....that is why interest is lost.

I have to be realistic . Sorry.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

greekz

Hopefully, until the DMV takes my license away, or I do not remember I own them.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

mark p

back when we just had the Tiger - and then 3 kids - people would say, "what are you gonna do [when you're gone] since you have 3 kids and 1 car?"
I would reply, "they can fight over it or bury me in it" ;D. I still pretty much feel that way.

(of course that flippant answer does not address the questions about when I can't drive it anymore, or serious health/family/$$ issues)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

sfm6s1506

Probably gonna be selling #1506 in the near future but , the plan is to replace it with a 66 carry over or early 67 350.. my kids will figure it out I guess when I'm gone. 😉

Greg

That is a great question, I like many try to put human traits on the vehicles which creates a sentimental attachment to them.  Truth is, the memories are what we love not the cars.  Our cars are just that, an object no different than anything else.  There will be a time for me when I say, okay it's time and the memories will be cherished.  Just like the guys that are selling off their collections.  I don't think it is a monetary decision (where they need the money) it is a decision that they want to have a new adventure, tired of seeing it sit in the garage or just want to let someone else enjoy the ride.  The fact is, if you don't grow you die and most of the people that sell after a long term ownership are really happy and glad to move on to another chapter in their life.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Side-Oilers

Greg,
I think your perspective is very well stated.  I'm struggling with selling a Mustang that I've owned since 1983, because I love the memories associated with it. 

I told a long-time car buddy about my tough decision, and he said that he will always have the great memories about the fun times we had in that car, regardless if I still own the car or not. That's a very grown-up way to look at it, but I'm still having trouble letting it go.  Once it's gone, it's gone...and so on.

I admire your grown-up approach as well, and will try to apply it to my Mustang.

However, as for my '68 Shelby...I will for sure be keeping it until they put me six-feet-under.  We've simply been through too much together.  And I think it loves me too!   ;)
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

BGlover67

Quote from: greekz on November 14, 2019, 02:01:39 PM
Hopefully, until the DMV takes my license away, or I do not remember I own them.

Ha!  Good one Greek.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

chris NOS

Took me 20 Years to buy mine , i ll keep it minimum 20 years !!!

tesgt350

Quote from: 2112 on November 14, 2019, 09:45:56 AM
I hope we can still buy fuel (reasonably) in 20 years.   :-X

Hmmm, maybe I will buy a few Shelby Mustangs and convert them to ALL Electric. 

Hertz74

Bought mine Hertz in 1974, still own it.    Have thought about selling and buying a newer one(GT500KR, 2009, Silver Blue Stripes,  or a 16 Hertz).   I was 22 and it was 2K.   Have had a lot of fun, but it is just crazy driving it on the road, people get real close to you.   Dream Cruise on Woodard,  a guy asked me why are you driving it, I don't like looking at it in my garage...