News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 GT350 Heater Motor protective shield

Started by acman63, November 14, 2019, 10:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acman63

I had someone call me looking for one fo these.  Im not sure Ive ever seen one on a GT350.   Maybe an AC car?
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

greekz

My non-AC GT-350 had one when I bought it in 1987. 
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

acman63

SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

capecodmustang.com

Bob Gaines

It is common to see the heater shields on 67 GT350 throughout production. It does not have anything to do with AC or not in this context ether.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

Bob Gaines

Quote from: acman63 on November 14, 2019, 10:24:18 AM
I had someone call me looking for one fo these.  Im not sure Ive ever seen one on a GT350.   Maybe an AC car?
FYI technically there is a A/C  and a NON AC version of the heat shield. The one with the long finger intact was for A/C to protect the expansion valve wrap and hoses and the one with the long finger cut off or bent over was for non A/C heater motor. With that said I have seen a mixture installed regardless of if A/C or non A/C.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

Just for reference, here is a picture of my shield.  Not sure about the attaching hardware finish.

Greek

Bob Gaines

Quote from: greekz on November 14, 2019, 07:14:29 PM
Just for reference, here is a picture of my shield.  Not sure about the attaching hardware finish.

Greek
Attaching hardware finish was zinc silver however the screws were often covered with the firewall sealer that is supposed to be used to seal all things that come out or in the firewall.  ;)

TLea

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 14, 2019, 05:51:42 PM
FYI technically there is a A/C  and a NON AC version of the heat shield. The one with the long finger intact was for A/C to protect the expansion valve wrap and hoses and the one with the long finger cut off or bent over was for non A/C heater motor. With that said I have seen a mixture installed regardless of if A/C or non A/C.
Think you have that reversed. Short finger is so hoses will fit

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TLea on November 15, 2019, 07:54:15 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 14, 2019, 05:51:42 PM
Think you have that reversed. Short finger is so hoses will fit
Please excuse the crude pictures but you should get the idea of how the long finger extends out and over the expansion valve and hoses for protection.  The bent down long finger or cut off long finger is for the short non AC heater motor. The third picture shows that the extended long finger doesn't make sense on the short non AC heater motor however the bent down or cut off finger matches the end of the motor that needs protected. The difference is somewhat moot because I have seen both styles mixed up on unmolested cars. Even though technically they had specific applications apparently not enough of a difference to concern assemblyline workers or inspectors.   

TLea

Interesting. I do agree with you that they are mix-and-match and I've seen them both on both applications however the overwhelming majority of unrestored AC cars I've seen  have the short finger.  Plant thing?

Shelby_r_b

FWIW, here's the one on #2666. GT350, auto, AC car w/ thermactor.
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on November 18, 2019, 06:34:12 PM
Yes that is the technically correct A/C bracket (although the other was used routinely also) to protect the expansion valve and hose connection. FYI you should get some foam wrap to insulate the expansion valve before next summer.It was wrapped from the factory also.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 18, 2019, 08:27:23 PM
Quote from: Shelby_r_b on November 18, 2019, 06:34:12 PM
Yes that is the technically correct A/C bracket (although the other was used routinely also) to protect the expansion valve and hose connection. FYI you should get some foam wrap to insulate the expansion valve before next summer.It was wrapped from the factory also.

Will do - thanks for the heads up!
Nothing beats a classic!