News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Fords new EV crossover Mustang Mach E

Started by FL SAAC, November 14, 2019, 06:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickSilverShelby

Damn!!  I don't like the name but I sure like the looks of the car.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Don Johnston

If I got one, I would use the tax break funds to have  a grill designed and put on the front with a running horse.  The issue with putting on rear side air scoops is another story... ::)

shelbydoug

The entire marketing division of FoMoCo seems to be constantly at odds with their own company and at times even with themselves.

The concept of the "Mustang" is a '60s thing. I doubt that those production numbers will ever again be attained.

If "we" are the basis for the current "Mustang's" marketing concept then the company is in big trouble.

I can see the resistance right here of Ford attempting to relate the Shelby name of the '60s to the current generation.

The current configuration of the car has very little to do with the original products. This is a new market.

Personally I have no issue in dividing my interests. One is this ridiculous attachment to a '60s idea that seemingly has been attached to my DNA and will only die when I do.

The other is the practicality of living in today's world yet still seeking the excitement created by the marketing division of more then a few 60s corporations. Dow Chemicals Napom and Agent Orange ARE NOT one of them. Playboy and Shelby...yes.

I don't have issues with an electric vehicle that far exceeds the performance capabilities of those '60s icons. I'm not married to gasoline engines. The petrol industry has not killed what little intellectual capacity I have left and attached me to a "save the dino fuel" cult.

I'll take a car that is battery powered and does 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds. The 1/4 in 10 seconds. Of course I will.

I certainly don't like the idea that in 7 years I'm going to have to replace the 8,000 AA lithium rechargeable batteries the thing will kill. No. Someone has to do something about that for sure.

I think really that the folly is that Ford is trying to tie so much of it's youth market to the Mustang and Shelby name? There is so little of the original Mustang concept left that I see, I think they should just find a new Koolaide moniker to stick on the battery powered version? Calling it a Mustang is just insulting to me but I guess they've given up on selling me on a new version of the beaten to death concept anyway?

Just kill the Mustang name and let it live on in the '60s image unless maybe they want to compete with a mid-engine C8 beater? There they might get my attention again? Nah. They won't, but the challenge is to Ford, not to me. GM's got the idea. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

csxsfm

Ford Marketing appears to be a "one trick" pony!

Scode67FB

Quote from: Don Johnston on November 16, 2019, 12:03:16 AM
If I got one, I would use the tax break funds to have  a grill designed and put on the front with a running horse.  The issue with putting on rear side air scoops is another story... ::)

Any tax breaks given will likely be spent on the car in the form of "dealer markup" before you even get it. Also, don't forget that you'll have to buy charging equipment. Has anything been said about the charge range on this car? Where will you be able to charge it away from home? Also, I'm willing to bet your annual vehicle registration fees will be "adjusted" because the vehicle doesn't use gas and pay the gas taxes that everyone else pays.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Scode67FB on November 17, 2019, 03:06:28 AM
Any tax breaks given will likely be spent on the car in the form of "dealer markup" before you even get it.

From other examples it reduces the cost of the vehicle to the buyer - we make up the difference

Quote from: Scode67FB on November 17, 2019, 03:06:28 AMAlso, don't forget that you'll have to buy charging equipment. Has anything been said about the charge range on this car? Where will you be able to charge it away from home?

Depends on where you live. Around here they are fairly regular. Even the local Bass Pro Shop has charging stations in their parking lots. Range should be around the same as the Tesla rather than the Fiat ;)

Driving around here you see maybe 50-100 EV's every hour or so depending on where your driving in the area

Quote from: Scode67FB on November 17, 2019, 03:06:28 AMAlso, I'm willing to bet your annual vehicle registration fees will be "adjusted" because the vehicle doesn't use gas and pay the gas taxes that everyone else pays.

Haven't seen that on current ones. We just raise the taxes on fuel. Last week I paid $2.10 about 80 minutes outside of  Washington DC and fuel here was $3.78 or so (CA) at the cheap stations. Other places are went over $4. Average higher that HI
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

69mach351w

I feel like this is the late 80's all over......

The Probe years???  Remember that ::)

67 GT350

The Probe was actually a great car, that is one car I wish I never got rid of, unfortunately it was considered a girls car. As far as this thing goes, it might be cool, but I wish it had a grill. I might be a fine vehicle, but it might be laughed at also. Maybe it should be called "California Special" as those people love their coal powered electric vehicles. (Americans can be fooled very easily), hell the world is fooled by those electric coal burning cars, what do people think they are charging them up with? ....WAKE UP America!
RARE  Signature Delete

Don Johnston

And then we have Ford's power plans:
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/10/17/ford-introduces-north-americas-largest-electric-vehicle-charting-network.html

Maybe the price of gas will drop due to reduced demand.  Better for us old fossils that drive fossil burners.
8)

69mach351w

I suspect the probe was a good car, but remember they were going to call it the Mustang.  And front wheel drive at that.......everyone was thinking the same thing...."A front wheel drive Mustang??.....NOOOOOOO

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 17, 2019, 11:30:18 AM
The Probe ...... it was considered a girls car.
So was the Mustang. Targeted to secretaries and moms. E cars are dirtier than gas powered. Dirty to build, dirty to charge, dirty to dispose of batteries, the list goes on. Here in LA the arguement is that the power is produced out of the basin. I work for a utility and decided to buy my daughters Volt when she got a new one. $8000. I could use the car pool lane with one person for free. I can charge at work for free - they just added 15 new transformers to supply another 200 electric charging spots. The final kicker was I got $5200 back on my taxes. Real money not a 5200 reduction in earnings. As soon as I retire some other employee will become the owner.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

SFM6S087

It just makes me want to puke.

I know the automotive world is going electric. And that car looks as good as any of the others, but it just ruins the heritage of the Mustang for me. And they're going to offer a 4-door version? Oh, my! They've taken a nameplate that stood for something special and put it on a battery powered sedan for the masses.

I hope they sell plenty and stay in business, but I know I won't be buying one. And although I'll be keeping my classic Shelby, I'll never by a new Mustang again if it's going to share the nameplate with that... ... ... thing. (That's the nicest word I could come up with.)

At least the Mustang-II of the mid 70s was still a pony car. How can they claim this sedan/SUV is a pony car?

I've been a Ford guy all my life, but this will make me give the other brands a shot at my loyalty.

Steve

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert