News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

motor mount question

Started by corbins, November 15, 2019, 06:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corbins

Are 67 small block motor mounts year specific? Talking about the frame rail side.... are they unique to 67 only and different from a 68 ?  Trying to help my son figure out a motor installation issue.

Thanks, Steve

Bob Gaines

Quote from: corbins on November 15, 2019, 06:09:47 PM
Are 67 small block motor mounts year specific? Talking about the frame rail side.... are they unique to 67 only and different from a 68 ?  Trying to help my son figure out a motor installation issue.

Thanks, Steve
As it relates to Shelby for 67 the smallblock chassis mounts are the same as bigblock . 68 and 69/70 smallblock are different then big block. Bigblock are all the same 67-70 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Scode67FB

The 67 frame-side engine brackets are confusing to a lot of people. Here's their application.
67 Coupe & Fastback w/ smallblock V8
67-70 Coupe & Fastback w/ big block V8
67-70 Convertible w/ smallblock or big block V8

Unless you're building a "concours" show car, you're better off using 66 or 68-70 frame brackets. The 67 smallblock rubber mounts are "one-year only" items. Hard to find and VERY expensive.

acman63

2 part engine frame mounts -  bare metal mall part - painted large part  or am I dyslexic today
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

corbins

Ok... thanks. helping my son try to install a late model (96 or so) SB 302 in a 67. With 67' frame mounts they are too wide? Will bolt up on one side but will not line up (reach) on the other. Looks to be about an inch or so shy widthwise.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: acman63 on November 16, 2019, 10:14:33 AM
2 part engine frame mounts -  bare metal mall part - painted large part  or am I dyslexic today
67-70 Shelby both pieces bare metal. You may be thinking of 70 Mustang which is painted.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 16, 2019, 11:43:35 AM
67-70 Shelby both pieces bare metal. You may be thinking of 70 Mustang which is painted.

Just to add a couple of more details
Once they went to the later version in 66 they continued the frame mount as a bare steel part until 70 (Mustang not Shelby) when the main/larger portion was painted and the small L bracket was still left bare.

Ignore the arrows I'm using a picture that was used to illustrate the forming marks and visible darkened weld lines that would have been visible. Taken from another thread on a different site where originally posted

70 Mustang example - really nice condition after all these years. Got to love Calif cars :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67350#1242

QuoteOk... thanks. helping my son try to install a late model (96 or so) SB 302 in a 67. With 67' frame mounts they are too wide? Will bolt up on one side but will not line up (reach) on the other. Looks to be about an inch or so shy widthwise.

As suggested try the 66 or 68 up frame mounts.  Your problem is typical when using 67 frame mounts without the specific 67 insulators.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

corbins

Thanks all... anyone maybe have a pic of the 68s. Picked up what I thought were 68s today, but they turned out to be exactly the same as we had. I also understand that there may be 2 different motor mounts ? 2286 vs 2257 ?  One 2286 is "taller" ? Maybe that's our problem. Also do the 68s carry and stamped numbers or other ID ?

J_Speegle

Quote from: corbins on November 16, 2019, 05:58:54 PM
Also do the 68s carry and stamped numbers or other ID ?

The metal frame mounts don't carry any identification numbers - that would be too easy. The rubber mounts do
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on November 16, 2019, 06:01:01 PM
Quote from: corbins on November 16, 2019, 05:58:54 PM
Also do the 68s carry and stamped numbers or other ID ?

The metal frame mounts don't carry any identification numbers - that would be too easy. The rubber mounts do
+1 . About the only way you can tell what year they are from is by the hardware used to hold them together . The hardware and its makers mark many times will indicate what year the mounts were from. That is if they hadn't been taken apart before.

67350#1242

The difference is in the location of the bolt holes which this diagram illustrates:  The bolt hole location changes the angle of the frame mount WRT the insulator.   The one hole on the 67 is higher than the other years.  Keep in mind 68 -70 convertibles and big block used the 67 pattern.  The 2257 insulator should work.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB