News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Autographed 66 Owners Manual 2nd Printing?

Started by kevinthefordman, November 15, 2019, 09:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinthefordman

Have listed this from a few pieces I bought from an elderly gentleman. Thanks to a friend and info found here looks like a second printing? I'm no expert so just started it with no reserve. Thanks!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264534850517

Vernon Estes

It's a reproduction rather than an original second printing but still a neat signed piece!

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

kevinthefordman

Ok thanks for the info,  will edit the listing.

69mach351w

Quote from: Vernon Estes on November 16, 2019, 10:01:08 AM
It's a reproduction rather than an original second printing but still a neat signed piece!

Vern
Vern,
What's the giveaway? Fill us "less knowledgeable" in.  Love to learn about the literature ;)

Sfm6sxxx

Quote from: 69mach351w on November 17, 2019, 10:58:45 AM

Vern
Vern,
What's the giveaway? Fill us "less knowledgeable" in.  Love to learn about the literature ;)

Vern did that once for the manuals for a couple of years in the old Forum before it crashed.  But, alas, that was all lost.....

6S1114

69mach351w

Quote from: Sfm6sxxx on November 17, 2019, 01:56:00 PM
Quote from: 69mach351w on November 17, 2019, 10:58:45 AM

Vern
Vern,

Vern did that once for the manuals for a couple of years in the old Forum before it crashed.  But, alas, that was all lost.....
And, your point??

Greg

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

s2ms

Greg,

Those pics are of 65 manuals.

There is another manual comparison thread Vern was involved with on another forum years ago but I don't remember where it is, possibly shelbyforums.com?

Vern, do you remember where that is?

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Vernon Estes

Hey Guys,

Sorry, I had not checked the thread in a while. Yesterday was my birthday so I wasn't logged on.

Hopefully one day I will be able to re-create the original thread about owners manuals. That thread took a bunch of my time and, as mentioned before, it's now lost. Those who know me well on this forum know that my life is different now than it was when I made that thread initially. Time is something I don't have a massive surplus of. When I get some spare time, I might be able to put the thread together again.

In the meantime...on 66 manuals the most simplistic and shortest explanation is that the paragraph on the top right hand side of the left page of the centerfold which shows the cutaway of the car...the word "optional" would have a home punch through it if it were a second printing along with the other typical "hole punch" areas seen in that centerfold. If it was a first printing, it would have not hole punches at all and all the wording would appear normal, not over-bolded like what is seen in the subject manual.

Keep in mind, that is how you distinguish a first from second printing. That isn't how you distinguish between simply a repop and an authentic manual of either variety.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

s2ms

Found a few pics I took years ago showing some differences between a 1st printing original and reproduction. If someone can post some pics of a 2nd printing original it will show the differences Vern talks about.

Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

Quote from: s2ms on November 17, 2019, 08:17:31 PM
Found a few pics I took years ago showing some differences between a 1st printing original and reproduction. If someone can post some pics of a 2nd printing original it will show the differences Vern talks about.

Thought those from a Vern posting  ::) Believe you posted two pictures of the cover also
Thanks for posting them again.

And addition not on the first Reproduction (to the left) picture is the  bolder "SEAT" letters also in an attempt to fix the punch binder holes
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SHELB66

Picture #2 in the below thread should help to show the 2nd printing open punch holes.  Sorry for the small picture but one can see the single punch hole in the upper left area where the word "optional" is found.  Then notice the 2 open punch holes on the bottom (one on each side of the seam).

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=3980.0

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

kingchief

Hi Vern,

Here is a pdf version of your original post.  I cut and pasted it to a Word document when you first posted.

Happy Holidays!

Steve
SFM 6S406

SHELB66

Here are some better pictures of a presumed 2nd Printing original.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac