Author Topic: Coil Spring and leaf spring markings  (Read 5546 times)

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Coil Spring and leaf spring markings
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »
Brant,

Thanks for posting

Shawn

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »
I noted in the Chuck Cantwell book he mentions that early in the 66 builds (15" wheels) they had front tire contact with the fender like the 65's.
The story in the book was they specified convertible front coils on later DSO's.  Is there DSO documentation of this change?

It appears the fastback, hardtop "GT", HiPo, "66 HD" spring C5zz-F was #1413 lb rated with red paint stripe,
the convertible GT, HiPo, A/C spring was C5zz-E # 1491 lb rated with brown stripe.

Later they replaced the F (red) with the E (brown).

regards,
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »
It appears the fastback, hardtop "GT", HiPo, "66 HD" spring C5zz-F was #1413 lb rated with red paint stripe,
the convertible GT, HiPo, A/C spring was C5zz-E # 1491 lb rated with brown stripe.

Later they replaced the F (red) with the E (brown).

Where did you get that info - a MPC? or the TSB? And was that from 66?

There was a document produced in 65 and then a correction sent out related to the K code suspensions by Ford in the TSB's

K and A's with the GT package shared the same springs. Much of the discussions has been about what has been found on cars that were built rather than what Ford wrote or planned to use. Sometimes it matches sometimes it doesn't  :) IMHO I believe the two colors being discussed are just a difference in tint of the red based on when the springs were marked at the supplier rather than two different colors.

Hoping to help the discussion the latest built San Jose 66 I could find quickly in my pictures with red stripes was from 6R2205xx
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 07:38:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge