News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ford vs Ferrari inaccuracies

Started by Dkutz, November 18, 2019, 05:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1109RWHP

Ken Miles DID race in the 1965 24 hours of Le Mans with Bruce McLaren.

deathsled

I'd rather have Matt Damon playing Shelby though he isn't a close match in the face, but at 5'10" Matt isn't exactly a shortie either as opposed to an unknown actor who might be a dead ringer for Shelby and can't act worth s&*%.   I know that Matt can and he pulled it off in spectacular fashion.  They all did.  As for the cars, making a film is done on tight time constraints (ask my father) and they need reliability and would not have the patience or tolerance for having the original cars breaking down during shooting scenes, nevermind the private owners allowing their cars to be used in risky scenes.  The powers that be would not want expensive insurance claims for damaged one off originals either.  Reproduction cars, I submit, were a must for the sake of efficiency and reliability to get the movie done on a projected timeline.  And I reiterate, I saw no cgi in this film based on some excerpts during the making.  They spared no expense to give the audience a thrill of a lifetime as movies go plus stellar acting within a stellar cast.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

8T03S1425

I'd love it if some of you guys, that were close to the action, could answer a few question about Shelby's relationship with the Ford Officers and the directive to have Ken Miles slow down.

What was Shelby's relationship with the Deuce? To me, Deuce was portrayed as a medler who would break a promise as he pleased.

What was Shelby's relationship with that guy Leo Beebe?

How did the call for Miles to slow down come to be? Was that Beebe's idea, approved by Deuce?

And finally, did Ken start his final leg knowing he needed to slow it down, or did he get instructions after he was on the track or when pitted?

To me, it really seamed that the suits had no tolerance for Ken Miles, yet they had the best driver in the best car.

Did the movie capture the the interpersonal relationships and actions pretty closely?

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

Wedgeman

WASAAC went to this as a club yesterday in Seattle on the big IMAX screen. We all promised each other not to criticize or point out inaccuracies....as a whole all 21 of us thoroughly enjoyed the movie.... 8)

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on November 18, 2019, 06:17:25 PM

...On a separate note...what's the true value of this thread?... 

That's funny

the same could be said for MANY of the topics on this forum.  ;)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on November 19, 2019, 06:39:26 AM
Quote from: Shelby_r_b on November 18, 2019, 06:17:25 PM

...On a separate note...what's the true value of this thread?... 

That's funny

the same could be said for MANY of the topics on this forum.  ;)

Ha!! Good point, Chris. 😉
Nothing beats a classic!

FL SAAC

we truly viewed no inaccuracies in this movie

one has to remember this is an entertaining movie made by hollywood to entertain the masses and certainly not a true documentary
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

rhjanes

Quote from: 1690 on November 18, 2019, 11:53:08 PM
It's the same feelings that my cousin had when he watched Top Gun in '86.  He was an F-14 pilot, one of the best in the Navy, and a Top Gun/Aggressor pilot.  It's tough to watch movies like that until you remember that they are for entertaining the masses....they are not documentaries.  I am just happy, as stated before, that the world has been introduced to that automotive history...when Ford ruled the 60's.  So many young people today driving their Subaru's and hopped up Hondas etc probably say "Ford?  Against Ferrari?  What about Lamborghini??!!"  Hopefully they will have some new found respect.
My dad (USAF Fighter pilot from the mid-50's into the mid 70's) laughed when Top Gun came out.  But he also remembered him and all his squadron buddies going to see movies with military pilots in it, going back to the 1950's.  Always good for a laugh was the sum of it!
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

mark p

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 18, 2019, 08:29:10 PM
Agreed. There are errors and misinformation. That's the case with virtually any movie that's based on anything close to real history.
But, consider this: If, ten years ago, we were each asked if we would put up with a handful of inaccuracies in exchange for having a major studio make a big-budget film with big-name stars, about Shelby, Miles and LeMans, I'll bet that 99.9999994% of us would've said "Hell yes, bring it on."

While watching the movie, I did turn to my pal and say "well, that never happened" a few times, but we still enjoyed it immensely.

I only wish that CS was around to have been a consultant, and for me to hear his comments (privately) about the finished product.  He might growl and huff a bit at the Hollywood process, but he would love the increased Shelby-name-recognition now on the tongue-tips of a whole new generation of people.    I like that too.

^^^ +1
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Don Johnston

If CS had been around at the time of release of this production, there probably would be a line of attorneys going after the protrayals and inaccuracies.  I am not sure the final cut would have received his blessing, depending on the amount of licensing royalties. Wisdom of Hollywood was to wait. 8)

OldGuy

In general, the movie was well acted BUT the background stuff could have been a lot better, in my opinion. MANY of the shortcomings have been pointed out by others.

Watching the F vs. F race footage reminds me of just how good the race footage from the movie Grand Prix was. By the way,
grand Prix debuted 53 YEARS AGO (before computer-enhanced footage). I think the they also should have spent a little more money on the race footage and certainly sound effects.

csxsfm

As a Cobra racer of the 60's and a retired Big 3 marketing manager, I'm sure I'll get tweaked by the plot line and inaccuracies of this movie when I see it.  But what is really important to me is the film got made, and it gives public recognition to some of the major achievements of Ken Miles.  I also hope they did some justice to another major contributor to Shelby American's success, Phil Remington.

KR Convertible

I think it should have been titled Ford vs Shelby.  There was very little of the rivalry with Ferrari.

FL SAAC

We would have titled it...KEN MILEs

Quote from: KR Convertible on November 19, 2019, 04:02:40 PM
I think it should have been titled Ford vs Shelby.  There was very little of the rivalry with Ferrari.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Coralsnake

The representation of the Ford factory and lines of blue Falcons was amusing....