News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hertz carrier housing

Started by MHz, February 24, 2018, 10:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MHz

How do I identify a carrier housing and pinion retainer for a mid-February Hertz?

Thanks,
Ross
Blue Hertz, Metke Ford, Seattle

J_Speegle

Shape and features along with date codes of the case and the pinion retainer.

Do you have one that yours asking about  (if so much easier to post a couple of pictures)  or are you looking for a guide for the hunt?

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

acman63

start to make sure its a 9 inch.  easiest way to tell in the car is whether you can get a deep well socket on the bottom two bolts.  If you can its an 8 inch .
2nd is whether it has a plug in the side of the casting, since the axle tube itself has a plug. it will not be drilled and tapped for a plug. 3rd  If you can read the date code on the case it should jive with the rest of your parts as well as the bearing retainer which should be able to use the bolt on steel rebound plate. 
as for the driveshaft pinion yoke.  thats another issue and with out a picture its hard for me to explain
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

6S1568

Here's a couple photos of Jan 66 dated housing and pinion support. Your's should look the same as these. Denny

MHz

I need to find one. Car currently has a WAR unit in a '65 9" housing.
Thanks,
Ross
Blue Hertz, Metke Ford, Seattle