Author Topic: Hood and trunk black paint  (Read 5702 times)

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
Hood and trunk black paint
« on: November 19, 2019, 03:23:57 PM »
does ayone have some good pics of  of the underside of an original 67 all glass hood and decklid that has been blacked out
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Hood and trunk black paint
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 05:49:08 PM »
Yes have a number of them. Let me grab a few. The exterior color makes a fair amount of difference since a light car (white for example) will show more "misting or overspray  than darker colors where the overspray is difficult to see over the base black

First the trunk - You may have seen these pictures posted over on the Concours site in one or two threads about the subject. One where we were discussing about the paint coverage typically found on the trunk hinges so the captions relate to that subject

Arm appears to have full but somewhat lighter paint on bottom side. Don't forget the extra tootsie roll in place and painted on the drivers side.

Arm appears to have full but slightly heavier paint coat on passenger side. No shadow visible in picture on lower hinge or body hinge bracket

Decent paint coat (little light inside arm up towards the top) on hinge and no shadows

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Additional pictures of white exterior cars for contrast purposes

Different angle from one of the cars shown above

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:02:36 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 11:44:15 PM »
I answered a question on a similar thread started on the Concours Mustang forum . I thought I would post it here also for the benefit of those reading here. The question was in regards to the Plaza fiberglass sticker (factory supplier) with overspray paint on it. The Plaza fiberglass stickers didn't always stay put when stuck to the fiberglass so if missing there is typically a witness line in the shape of the missing sticker. No harm no foul in concours because that was "just the way it was" (quote Ed Meyer) . Also the stickers were on the trunk lids of course when they arrived at SA so the bottom side of the trunk and hood were apparently already blacked out when delivered to SA.Some were not blacked out and were bare fiberglass. Yes if you have a body color overspray pattern on the bottom side as it would be from the factory and the sticker is in the line of fire but somehow doesn't have overspray on it then it is grounds for a small deduction in concours judging given it wouldn't make practical sense. There were a varying range of spray patterns from one trunk lid or hood to another.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 08:53:18 AM »
When I bought #1317 in 1977 it's hood and trunk under sides looked like the pictures Jeff posted.
However, there was a metal mesh under the hood which I removed later.
Texas Swede

Bill Collins

• '65 GT350 006 owner since 1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 10:23:12 AM »
When I bought #1317 in 1977 it's hood and trunk under sides looked like the pictures Jeff posted.
Texas Swede

Anyone care to comment on the matter of some cars having this metal mesh on the underside of the hood? I have seen this on various '67's over the years - most recently on #1595, a factory paint GT500 with 50,000 miles.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
Texas Swede

Anyone care to comment on the matter of some cars having this metal mesh on the underside of the hood? I have seen this on various '67's over the years - most recently on #1595, a factory paint GT500 with 50,000 miles.

I have heard that it was added to help with radio reception, which was very poor on the '67 Shelby's, typically by dealers - others will hopefully know more/better.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 01:26:53 PM »
We have a number of warranty forms by dealers adding the screen to eliminate radio static.

Dave M.
Support the SAAC Registry

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 01:47:46 PM »
does ayone have some good pics of  of the underside of an original 67 all glass hood and decklid that has been blacked out

I want to add that some cars that had the Plazaglas fiberglass hoods and trunk lids were unpainted on the bottom side. The attached photo is what the underside of my hood for #2115 looked like with a little soap and water. The trunk lid was also unpainted.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 03:30:54 PM »
.....................The Plaza fiberglass stickers didn't always stay put when stuck to the fiberglass so if missing there is typically a witness line in the shape of the missing sticker..............................

To illustrate the shadow which would have been left after a Plaza sticker fell off later in life I offer the following. Of course this would not have taken place on panels supplied by other providers

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 03:40:36 PM »
A few examples of the bottom of the hood as requested. Lot less of them since so many have been painted over or rattle canned black over the years. Again tried to stay with white for contrast purposes

On this one (blue car) it shows some overspray that gained access to the bottom surface through the hood scoop openings

And others

Basically new car

Hope these help

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 04:15:29 PM »
On the full 'glass hoods and decklids, any idea as to what the percentage is painted black vs. left as 'cast'? 95/5/ 50/50, etc?

It would seem to me that the vast majority (95%) were not painted?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 04:17:20 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 04:22:06 PM »

If your asking about how much of the bottom (ignoring the body color over and direct spray) received black verse no black it depended on the hood. Most of the original cars I've had or seen were black 100% to 90% . Some examples had the black cleaned off (still visible in the edges of the grain while others appeared to have been missed but both the later were the minority by allot. When (vast majority) the stickers fall off the coat of black is very notable and easy to see

Just my experience talking about the Plaza examples

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 07:06:54 PM »
Well I presume they started as 100% covered and just got the typical varying overspray but I meant, why are some Plaza units plain and some painted and is there an educated guess on the percentages?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 07:23:13 PM »

If your asking about how much of the bottom (ignoring the body color over and direct spray) received black verse no black it depended on the hood. Most of the original cars I've had or seen were black 100% to 90% . Some examples had the black cleaned off (still visible in the edges of the grain while others appeared to have been missed but both the later were the minority by allot. When (vast majority) the stickers fall off the coat of black is very notable and easy to see

Just my experience talking about the Plaza examples
+1 . The ones that were painted black and from the evidence were unmolested were in the vast majority. Far fewer were bare fiberglass but they are out there. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 12:58:22 PM »
I would have thought it was the opposite. I still haven't seen an original '67 with the black paint. I've ONLY seen the unpainted "ugly greenish" unfinished fiberglass. Maybe the original black was water color paint and washed off the first NE winter?

I'm ok with the black though. It looks SO much better...and I'm NOT going to paint over the Plaza stickers with it. You know how much those things cost? ::)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 01:00:16 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!