Author Topic: 1970 Shelby Trunk Decals  (Read 7828 times)

Stubee

• View Profile
1970 Shelby Trunk Decals
« on: February 25, 2018, 01:35:24 AM »
Which one of these paper tag setups is most correct or did they vary from Dearborn and A.O.?
For an early May build 1970 GT 350?

Stubee

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 1970 Shelby Trunk Decals
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 12:21:19 PM »
Guessing you have a sportroof and not a convertible based on the pictures you choose to post.

The lower cars (the original pictures) IMHO are the better choice for guidance for the general locations of the decals rather than someones restoration

From around your cars production period

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:24:28 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 02:17:35 PM »
This may give a clue  ;)
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 03:54:14 PM »
This may give a clue  ;)

Looks like that is the same as the OP's third picture just cropped differently ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »
Jeff. my car #2060 also had a vehicle safety act sticker on the deck lid. I don't see one on any of these pics and I thought all Shelbys were supposed to have them. I can't tell from the posted pics if there is one or not but the pic I posted of the A.O. Smith line does not have one. Any thoughts on this?

TOB

1969 GT350 owned since 1970

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 07:45:09 PM »
Jeff. my car #2060 also had a vehicle safety act sticker on the deck lid. I don't see one on any of these pics and I thought all Shelbys were supposed to have them. I can't tell from the posted pics if there is one or not but the pic I posted of the A.O. Smith line does not have one. Any thoughts on this?

Should be there - not sure why the AO Smith example doesn't have one on it yet.

As we can see the stickers didn't stay attached to well over time to the uneven surface of the fiberglass so other you will only find shadows of where they were originally attached

Looking at pictures or unrestored fastbacks I found them attached below the trunk latch striker or to the left of the other two larger decals. On convertibles they were often in the lower left section of the trunk lid when open fully
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:58:36 PM by J_Speegle »

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 12:07:38 AM »
Thank you Jeff for the reply and early photos. Yes the car is a sportsroof GT 350. I was confused about the trunk decals as the jacking instructions decal is not on the car.

Now the car is an extremely low mileage car and had one respray 20 years ago.i don’t know if the decal was taken off at that time or the other two replaced?

That is the only trunk picture I have as the car is in storage so not trying to play the guess what car this is on game.

I am questioning whether I should be placing the ECS jacking instruction decal now in the middle or just leave it alone.the two decals there are in beautiful condition.

Would that make sense to put the jacking decal above the safety act decal?

I am a newbie to this forum. It is unfortunate all of the old forum posts are gone. I guess by asking what probably seems to be the same old questions will build this forum back up slowly.

I saw your Shelby GT 350 posts on the Concours Mustang Forum and that car was a true work of art.
My thoughts are that these 1969!and 1970 cars are just being discovered by the young crowd and are about to become more popular as they are still affordable and the guys who remember them as children are able to purchase them.

For those newbies of us here now. We are all very accomplished at our own professions. I marvel and admire the dedication and attention to detail the Shelby veterans have here and appreciate the time you folks take with us.

Just trying to get it right to do justice to one of these lovely cars.

Now just tell me where to stick it :)

Thanks again,

Stubee

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 12:59:51 AM »
Why don't you try and post a picture of your car and where your stickers are currently located. May provide some clues to if they are original and such

Thanks for the kind words

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 02:37:01 AM »
Sorry Jeff,

It was the first one. That’s the only picture of the inside of the trunk I have.
Here are a couple of car pics to go with it.

So I could place the jacking instructions on the left life of the trunk lid or center.

Alternatively if you felt they had been replaced already and incorrectly placed I could remove them and start over.

I wish I could provide a better photo. That’s all I have right now.

Let me know your thought.

Stubee

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 02:47:47 AM »

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 03:05:34 AM »
Can’t post pics now:(...
Frustrating.

Stubee

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »
Can see the ones posted in the first post and the one follow up.

For me I would apply the stickers as there likely were originally based on other unrestored cars from the period if you have no documentation of them being any different on your particular car.

Guess this likely means your going to be trying to carefully removing and replacing

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 01:36:04 PM »
Can see the ones posted in the first post and the one follow up.

For me I would apply the stickers as there likely were originally based on other unrestored cars from the period if you have no documentation of them being any different on your particular car.

Guess this likely means your going to be trying to carefully removing and replacing
To add , a heat gun (hair dryer if you are scared) carefully used will loosen the adhesive so the sticker comes off easily does not tear. If a original sticker it helps a little but not much. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 07:44:36 PM »
Roger that  Bob and Jeff.

I’m on it. A agree. They must have been replaced and put in their ‘“new position”

Hair dryer for me.. it is.

Thanks gentlemen.

Stubee

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 07:13:25 PM »