News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1970 Shelby Trunk Decals

Started by Stubee, February 25, 2018, 01:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Without any information about the car, when it was built, history or real build date can't really comment. Have hundreds of similar picture but would not post most.

Looks like it may have come from a ebay ad. Not where I look for research or help on restoration questions generally. 

Standard acceptance threshold (to get out attention) has been three examples, unrestored, same plant, same time period
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Stubee

For Bob and Jeff to weigh in,

I finally got the picture thing working again.
Here is a May 1969 Dearborn build car that looks very much undisturbed. The glue stain from the space saver decal is just above the jacking Decal and the Shelby Motors Vehicle compliance sticker present. The wire look looks untouched as well along with the usual paint degradation.

Seems like the I might get away with just applying the jacking decal below the space saver decal.

Fire away,

Stubee

J_Speegle

Quote from: Stubee on February 27, 2018, 07:20:20 PM
Seems like the I might get away with just applying the jacking decal below the space saver decal.

Not based IMHO on just a single example.

Not sure if "getting away" with a detail is a goal I would aim for in my work and or suggest for others. Sure others will differ :)

Your car - your call
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Stubee

What caught my eye was the Dearborn May 1969 build. Let me get the day.

J_Speegle

What caught my eye is a fair number of details that did not match (even though they never claim the car is an unrestored car) features you would expect to see on such a car.

Stubee

To be honest I saw that too.the Glue stain for the Space saver looks pretty legit.
It is a May 25 build. Mine was two weeks before.

The Jacking Decal, if that is correct... looks like a bad hangover day at the plant.

Stubee

Stubee

From yours and Bobs comments and suggestions, I gather that the images above are the best guide.
How far left of these large stickers does the vehicle compliance sticker go and was it centred?

I have ordered all of the decals from ECS so I have the luxury of, "Getting it right".

Sorry for beating this one the death. The horse is getting flogged..

Stubee

Stubee

I just saw your three plant threshold comment and Ebay research tip..right on for sure.
If you had a better resource location I would go there and take the time to look and educate.

Seems a lot of the Photobucket pics are all gone, the valuable forum info from the past lost unfortunately.

So these questions while painful, will slowly build the site for the new guys.

This is the one place where there are the folks like yourself with literally 10's of thousands of collective hours of lookingvover the details.

I might need some time to catch up. :)

Thanks Jeff for weighing in. Appreciated.

Stubee

J_Speegle

Quote from: Stubee on February 27, 2018, 08:10:24 PM
I just saw your three plant threshold comment and Ebay research tip..right on for sure.

Not three plants but a minimum of three examples all from the same plant, time period, not messed with and equipped.  Just something  a number of us have agreed is a place to start - get our attention

Quote from: Stubee on February 27, 2018, 08:10:24 PMIf you had a better resource location I would go there and take the time to look and educate.

Seems a lot of the Photobucket pics are all gone, the valuable forum info from the past lost unfortunately.

So these questions while painful, will slowly build the site for the new guys.

This is the one place where there are the folks like yourself with literally 10's of thousands of collective hours of lookingvover the details.

No problem we understand than many others only have the resources they can get access to - often the internet which has proven itself to be an unreliable resource much of the time if fo no other reason the lack of history and information about a particular picture

Some of us have a fair collection of pictures spanning back decades so year the best option is posting and asking for best available.

Stubee

Roger that,

Got it and it is helping out. I just want to proceed with caution to get some of the details back to where they were intended to be. Any more pics on the subject is appreciated and thank you for the assistance and your time.

Stubee

thefordshow

I think the location of trunk decals were similar, with the space saver bottle decal to the left and jack instruction to the right. I think this is the common theme here.  To say every car had them placed perfectly in the same spot would take a lot of documentation on a very large number of original cars, just can't see it given what I've seen in the past and how they were glued on,..looked very rushed to me.