Author Topic: 1970 Shelby Trunk Decals  (Read 7829 times)

Special Ed

• View Profile
Re: 1970 Shelby Trunk Decals
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 09:16:38 AM »
I have taken original 69 shelby trunk decals off my cars & sent them to ECS to have them made correctly back years ago) & they were brushed on yellow weatherstripping type glue on backsides & i figured a.o smith was having trouble getting the decals to stick to the rough grained fiberglass so they were brushing the trunk weatherstripping glue on decals after they brushed the  trunklid weatherstripping glue on at same time. Fiberglass shelby trunk decals always look like they are falling off compared to  smooth metal mustang  trunk decals that stuck better to the flat surface. Look at the last blue shelby trunk photo & u can see leftover masking tape on the lh side that was used to hold the trunk light wire to decklid when it was painted.Also note the decklid latch bracket with the extra tab on one side only.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 01:54:06 PM »
Given that the blue example is of a convertible the worker had allot more room to work with and choices.  Yes they were done quickly and as Ed mentioned they apparently had allot of problems with them sticking right from the start so its not unusual to see spray adhesive used on some to improve /correct the problem though it still didn't do a great job in many examples
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

thefordshow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 02:15:36 PM »
... I would think more a brushed on adhesive much like the weather strip glue they used.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 03:14:16 PM »
... I would think more a brushed on adhesive much like the weather strip glue they used.

Just what I've seen, have pictures of and such. Looks to be spray on the ones I've collected often applied in a circular or back and forth pattern like the headliner adhesive that they used

Have one example where it appears that the worker applied the additional adhesive to the back sides of the stickers rather than to the trunk lid
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:20:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 04:17:43 PM »
Wow,

Great info and insights on these decals. I picked up the Special ED inspired ECS Decals and will set out to make them “right”.

This small one, if I understand, goes to the left of the two large ones as Jeff had indicated earlier as an option. Is it centered on the sportsroof trunklid? Seems like it might be a tight squeeze just below the trunk latch and above the space saver decal.

Many thanks,

Stubee

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2018, 09:21:18 PM »
Here is a pic of 2060's deck lid. Notice they are already peeling on the corners just like the originals did.  >:(

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2018, 11:23:26 PM »
Thank you very much. I appreciate the picture

Looking forward to correcting this detail.

Stubee