News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Best fitting headers - 67 GT350 four speed manual steering

Started by Horsman, November 20, 2019, 04:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: greekz on November 21, 2019, 11:42:53 AM
I was unaware of the equalizer bar and lowering bracket issues.   Learn something new every day!

Stock equalizer bars on these cars with anything more then the original 2,600 pound clutch are problematic. The clutches were never serviced new from Ford. What you got from Ford was a Ford Certified Rebuild at 2,800 pounds. Aftermarket clutches started at 3,200 pounds.

That immediately turned the equalizer into silly putty. You need to do SOMETHING with the stock equalizer under ANY conditions.

JBA actually offers one theoretically to use with their headers. I wind up inventing so many new swear words using someone else's along with scraped and cut knuckles and finger tips that I think very little of just making my own.

ANY owner of any vintage Mustang with a manual transmission HAS to deal with the equalizer bar situation. There are more then a few solutions including going to a hydraulic clutch.

"You" have to "learn" somewhere. It might as well start with the equalizer? ;D

BOTH the JBA and Hookers are pretty easy to install. They drop right in and you shouldn't compare the installation stories of headers on a GT500 as anything like a small block. A SB is a piece of cake.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Dan353

I have a headers from Ford Powertrain Applications  on my 69 GT 350 with the stock clutch linkage  they fit great I didn't have to beat on them for clearance also they tuck up nicely under the car.  And didn't have to modify the clutch mechanism Well worth the price.  If you don't see what you looking for on the website give them a call.

Dan

http://www.fordpowertrain.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Dan353 on November 21, 2019, 03:04:18 PM
I have a headers from Ford Powertrain Applications  on my 69 GT 350 with the stock clutch linkage  they fit great I didn't have to beat on them for clearance also they tuck up nicely under the car.  And didn't have to modify the clutch mechanism Well worth the price.  If you don't see what you looking for on the website give them a call.

Dan

There is nothing different on a 69/70 GT350 z bar compared to a 69/70  regular Mustang version. 65/66 used a special hipo Z bar and 67/68 used a special hipo Z bar (even though 68 didn't need it?)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 21, 2019, 07:11:17 PM

Dan

There is nothing different on a 69/70 GT350 z bar compared to a 69/70  regular Mustang version. 65/66 used a special hipo Z bar and 67/68 used a special hipo Z bar (even though 68 didn't need it?)

The hipo z bar is simply to clear the hipo exhaust manifold. It isn't any better or sturdier then the standard version.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 21, 2019, 08:15:27 PM

Dan

The hipo z bar is simply to clear the hipo exhaust manifold. It isn't any better or sturdier then the standard version.
You misunderstand my point. It does not have anything to do with how sturdy it is but the SHAPE. The hipo Z bars are shaped different to clear the cast iron hipo exhaust manifolds compared to a non hipo Z bar . That difference in shape of the Hipo Z bar  has a adverse effect with header clearances compared to the non hipo variety as it pertains to Tri Y or regular headers.Of course the 65/66 and 67/68 hipo Z bars are different from each other and do not interchange between years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 21, 2019, 11:16:38 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 21, 2019, 08:15:27 PM

Dan

You misunderstand my point. It does not have anything to do with how sturdy it is but the SHAPE. The hipo Z bars are shaped different to clear the cast iron hipo exhaust manifolds compared to a non hipo Z bar . That difference in shape of the Hipo Z bar  has a adverse effect with header clearances compared to the non hipo variety as it pertains to Tri Y or regular headers.Of course the 65/66 and 67/68 hipo Z bars are different from each other and do not interchange between years.

I understood. I was just attempting to emphasize the differences as I understand them. I don't remember specifically if I tried the HP z bar with either the Hooker or the JBA's. It was just easier for me to make my own.

As far as I know, Stans headers for this application are tri-y's. Any tri-y's are for ease of fitment, not for performance. You are installing headers for performance aren't you?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Skidado

I've had Tri-y headers on my 67 GT350 manual since the mid eighties. I think they are Hedman. I had to use the ram lowering bracket, which initially split the pinch weld along the outside edge of the chassis rail, but I've had that welded and it's been no trouble since.

There are no clearance issues either the Z-bar, but I had to make a small dent to clear the corner of the bell-housing near the starter. The great advantage of Tri-Ys is that they can be installed and removed from above the engine.

I run a stock clutch and my Z-bar has broken twice, but this is not related to the headers.

David

TA Coupe

This is one of the best places to get headers. Check out their different applications that they carry.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers2.htm

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.