Author Topic: Restoring a Shelby (003) as a Mustang....Why?  (Read 12318 times)

6s2020

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 01:38:10 AM by 6s2020 »

jerry merrill

• View Profile
Re: Restoring a Shelby (003) as a Mustang....Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 02:03:23 AM »
I almost can not believe this to be true that someone would do something like this. Using his ridiculous logic why not restore it even further back, to molten metal that was delivered to Ford to be poured into sheet metal to build the cars origanally. Hopefully he will sell the car soon and it can be put back to as built by Shelby. This poor car has been through a lot with being restored to an R model (honest mistake) and now this?

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 03:15:43 AM »
Just the other night while thumbing thru an old (best guess 78 79) SAAC magazine I saw  this car listed for sale for  around 12K.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 03:44:03 AM »
Here is a link to Mark's website for those who may not know about it.

http://1965gt350mustang.com/index.html

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 04:20:24 AM »
I think it’s cool as heck.  Outside of old black and white pictures  I’ve never seen a Shelby built just like it was when it left San Jose.

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 05:52:04 AM »
Well, they're not doing something they can't undo.   Near the end of the video, Nick mentions it'll be put back to its first Shelby
specs.   I imagine it'll be shown in this configuration for a while before going back to Shelby.  I'm sure Charles will be by
shortly to explain it all.
Greg Z
6S2249

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 06:40:24 AM »
It’s awesome, restoration and judging are overated. Nice to see someone take some bold decisions rather than turn out another cookie cutter, to please others
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:05:01 PM by Coralsnake »

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »
Well, they're not doing something they can't undo.   Near the end of the video, Nick mentions it'll be put back to its first Shelby
specs.   I imagine it'll be shown in this configuration for a while before going back to Shelby.  I'm sure Charles will be by
shortly to explain it all.

This is correct. Charles said that this is temporary, and that it will be brought back fully to its Shelby specs. Again, the purpose was to display the car in the “as left San Jose” condition for this show. I think it’s amazing, especially given they used all original parts for a display that will / would be temporary.
Nothing beats a classic!

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »
Beautiful restoration Charles!!

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 09:39:48 AM »
I can understand the idea , let's go a little more deep in the process , bring back the car to a san josé ford mustang delivered on day one de SA and start the transformation in a GT350.
OK ,  but  they welded/closed back the over ride cut of from the body , and they ll do it again after when transforming the k code mustang in the First GT350 , it means what was done in the 60's is gone , and it will have some new  work done in 2020 like if they would build a clone , for me it doesn't make sense to remove some original SA work , i would applaud if they put side by side 003 like it was restored by Mark,  a K code restored like the san josé mustang delivered to SA.
No alteration of what's been done by the SA crew on 003 ...
But it's his car , his money and some other can think differently ....

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 09:49:41 AM »
I was there also, and agree with Ruben.  Considering the time constraint, it was a brilliant idea to display the car this way.  I highly doubt that Mark is “throwing up his dinner at this”, and hopefully he will comment.  The new owner could have had the typical  ‘unveiling’ of the car to big fanfare, but this display really educated the audience as to why 003 is so special (along with  002, and 001). 

Btw, the entire show was amazing, really should be on every car enthusiasts bucket list.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
I can understand the idea , let's go a little more deep in the process , bring back the car to a san josé ford mustang delivered on day one de SA and start the transformation in a GT350.
OK ,  but  they welded/closed back the over ride cut of from the body , and they ll do it again after when transforming the k code mustang in the First GT350 , it means what was done in the 60's is gone , and it will have some new  work done in 2020 like if they would build a clone , for me it doesn't make sense to remove some original SA work , i would applaud if they put side by side 003 like it was restored by Mark,  a K code restored like the san josé mustang delivered to SA.
No alteration of what's been done by the SA crew on 003 ...
But it's his car , his money and some other can think differently ....
Yes the car will shortly be converted to full GT350 trim from my understanding. There were compromises to the all stock presentation and some of the things that SA did were not undone . Things like override mounts on the rear end tubes ,horn button hole on dash, package try tire hold down,rebound bracket relocation were all left intact. I believe the point of the exercise was to show what the care basically started out as and not to get rid of all evidence . Those are detail things that are easy to overlook anyway and don't spool the stock look to the public trying to be conveyed IMO. This is the first time I have seen anyone present the car prior to Shelby conversion let alone to this extreme fine detail degree. I congratulated Charles on getting it done this way given he got the car back as a painted bare shell the end of September.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:06:19 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 11:18:25 AM »
One has to ask the question... Why would he do that? Answer = Because he can ;)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 11:27:08 AM »
In all her beauty...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:29:09 AM by Shelby_r_b »
Nothing beats a classic!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 11:56:28 AM »