Author Topic: Restoring a Shelby (003) as a Mustang....Why?  (Read 12316 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Restoring a Shelby (003) as a Mustang....Why?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 09:38:54 PM »
Hi all,

One thing that was lost in this re-restoration, was the fact 002 and 003 were painted from the same batch of paint during their restoration in preparation for the 50th Anniversary of the Mustang showings.  This was done so they would be an exact match at all the shows.  This is also reflects the likelihood San Jose painted both cars in series with the same batch of paint.  Looks like 002 will need to be re-restored and 003 again with the same batch of paint to match the San Jose build, which of course is crazy.

The matching batch of paint I thought was very cool that John and Mark chose for their respective car restorations.  That is now lost.

Cory
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:43:05 PM by 6s1640 »

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 09:54:15 PM »
I guess, they just choose to "show" it part way through its journey to becoming a GT350

Still not sure it was worth the trouble, after all it's not hard to imagine a white non GT  Kcode with steel wheels and missing some parts.

That's more or less how things worked out.  The original plan was to address a list of improvements to the car, but during some disassembly, it became evident that a total strip/repaint was the only way to go.  The new owner had really wanted to take the car to SAAC/MCA/MCACN this year, but we knew there was no way to make SAAC/MCA, so we set our sights on getting it to MCACN.  In conversations, the idea of taking it there as a Mustang came up and we agreed that would be the goal.  I would have put the car back close to a complete Mustang anyway, so it wasn't too much more work to add parts like exhaust, shocks, etc...

It was expected that there would be mixed reactions to this decision, but the feedback received at MCACN was extremely positive.  Not one person questioned 'why?'

It was a tremendous effort to get this car to MCACN.  I didn't receive the car back from Jason Billups until Sept 26th.  It was a bare shell needing complete reassembly.  A San Jose coupe with a scheduled build date 12 days before 003 had been acquired, which was delivered at the same time.  There were many parts/fasteners used from that car, requiring additional restoration work.

Could not have done this without the help of Jim Cowles, who did an amazing job on various parts, including rotors/calipers/prop valve, etc...  Marcus Anghel was key in restoring the original control arms from the coupe, they were in amazing condition and the boots were actually good enough to re-use. 

The next step will be to do the prototype conversion, just like Mark H did before.  A high percentage of the Shelby-specific parts are ready to go.  We plan to do this sometime in the Spring, maybe April/May.  Photographic/video documentation will be done.  We are also hoping to involve ex-SA employees to be there when the conversion is done.  It's going to be a great experience for all.  The car will then go to SAAC/MCA and then back to MCACN next year as a GT350.

Please understand that the owner and myself have deep respect/admiration for what Mark Hovander did during his ownership of 003.  That will never be diminished and it is only because of Mark that we know the true history of 003. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 10:08:47 PM »
One thing that was lost in this re-restoration, was the fact 002 and 003 were painted from the same batch of paint during their restoration in preparation for the 50th Anniversary of the Mustang showings.  This was done so they would be an exact match at all the shows.  This is also reflects the likelihood San Jose painted both cars in series with the same batch of paint.  Looks like 002 will need to be re-restored and 003 again with the same batch of paint to match the San Jose build, which of course is crazy.

The matching batch of paint I thought was very cool that John and Mark chose for their respective car restorations.  That is now lost.

Jason Billups matched the paint exactly and the car has correct orange peel now.  Jason and his team did an amazing job.  Would suggest to come to SAAC next year and see it in person.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2019, 10:11:49 PM »
^^^^^^^
Charles,

After re watching the video and re reading this thread , i get the theory and the goals.

No doubt the work is top notch and research well done.

Good luck with  her journey and enjoy.

Cheers

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2019, 10:46:40 PM »
C'mon guys after all Shelby's are just day 2 Mustangs.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2019, 11:44:16 PM »

Jason Billups matched the paint exactly and the car has correct orange peel now.  Jason and his team did an amazing job.  Would suggest to come to SAAC next year and see it in person.

Hi Charles,  No doubt, the paint job is beautiful.  They did a fantastic job.

Take care

Cory

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2019, 12:23:00 AM »
C'mon guys after all Shelby's are just day 2 Mustangs.

That is brilliant! Love it!!
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2019, 03:00:02 AM »
It is Brilliant Charles, well done.
Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2019, 09:11:44 AM »
The question still remains why? Why would a trailer queen car need a re-restoration, seemingly a stunner, it wouldn't need any more help would it? Maybe with a fresh restoration with the same group of people that did the green hornet with still photos and videos of the restoration a possible new owner would get to see what went into its restoration helping its sale price? Hats off to all those involved as they are all at the top of their game. Does this mean that its other two siblings need a complete redo as well to keep their value up. who would have ever dreamed what a stir a few old race cars would cause. :)

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2019, 10:12:46 AM »
Is it documented how SA filled the emblem holes in the fenders?  How will this be done in phase 2?

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2019, 10:16:05 AM »
Is it documented how SA filled the emblem holes in the fenders?  How will this be done in phase 2?

002 still had its original fenders and the filled holes could be seen from the back side.  There are also several photos of 002 during testing that show the emblems/holes.

We plan to braze the holes shut and re-spray the bottom of the fenders like would have originally been done.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:23:54 AM by CharlesTurner »
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »
The question still remains why? Why would a trailer queen car need a re-restoration, seemingly a stunner, it wouldn't need any more help would it? Maybe with a fresh restoration with the same group of people that did the green hornet with still photos and videos of the restoration a possible new owner would get to see what went into its restoration helping its sale price? Hats off to all those involved as they are all at the top of their game. Does this mean that its other two siblings need a complete redo as well to keep their value up. who would have ever dreamed what a stir a few old race cars would cause. :)

If we went into detail on all the 'whys', it would be like airing dirty laundry and I have way too much respect for all those involved previously with the car to do that.  Suffice to say that there were areas that needed improvement, with the biggest being the absence of orange peel in the paint.

This had nothing to do with increasing value/attention, it was all about making the car the best it could be and the most historically accurate.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2019, 11:36:35 AM »
Not sure I understand the confusion.

Sounds like they are shooting for the highest accuracy and taking the car thru the same build process it went thru originally back 55 years ago.

They are just sharing the process with the public.

I couldn't do this so I am appreciative that they chose to make the process public. I would love to see the same done for a '67.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
This looks like a great way to make a Movie called, "The Making of a Shelby".  Especially with the release of the latest Shelby Movie out.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2019, 12:24:00 PM »
This looks like a great way to make a Movie called, "The Making of a Shelby".  Especially with the release of the latest Shelby Movie out.

Hi Charles,

Along this theme, you could build a display of all the modification pieces next to the car, similar to the magazine article back in the day, showing what parts will make up the 65 GT350.  IIRC, the article was in Road & Track.  Have you seen that image?  Very cool.  I will try to find if someone else does not beat me.

Take care

Cory
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 01:07:28 PM by 6s1640 »