Author Topic: 1967 Shelby GT350 Paxton Car  (Read 9467 times)

csx289

• View Profile
Re: 1967 Shelby GT350 Paxton Car
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 12:53:07 PM »
Here's a link to it on Mecum rather than HMN- different description (at least currently)

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-397046/1967-shelby-gt350-fastback/

I don't see the gauges either, don't recall if it had them when I owned it or if Mecum just assumed it does. I'll ask the owner.

6T6/7

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 08:37:21 PM »
Great looking car, very cool with factory Paxton.  However, pardon the nitpick, it looks like the GT350 rocker stripes are not located properly relative to the door.
‘66 6S379, ‘67 GT350 #1661

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 09:42:55 PM »
Great looking car, very cool with factory Paxton.  However, pardon the nitpick, it looks like the GT350 rocker stripes are not located properly relative to the door.

I saw that, but at least they should have been consistent for the left and right side.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 11:56:46 PM »
The person who striped that should be ashamed of himself.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 07:01:43 AM »

Yup, but he got an A from his shop teacher.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 11:32:07 AM »

Bob that person would be Curt Vogt who striped it in 1996!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 01:13:06 PM »

Bob that person would be Curt Vogt who striped it in 1996!
" I was the buyer. Spent about $30k making the car "right" correcting a bunch of details and sorting it mechanically."
A lot can happen from 1996 until now . I wouldn't be so quick to throw him under the bus . I suppose you didn't know any better ether given you spent 30K on a bunch of details yet you missed this highly visible one. I suppose you should be ashamed too then.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2019, 02:00:33 PM »
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2019, 02:54:25 PM »
Hi Bob,

Actually as somebody who has owned the car and reviewed its entire history file, spoken to owners, etc. yes I am aware a lot can happen in 23 years. However in this case I can assure you the paint and stripes were done at Cobra Automotive when it was restored. As we all know 23 years is a long time in the continual growth of knowledge on these cars as well as the availability of correct restoration parts as well. This isn't the only '67 that was restored a long time ago and has 65/66 style stripes on it. Wasn't throwing the old Sasquatch hunter under the bus just stating a fact- they did the paint and stripes many moons ago. It is what it is.

Now, since you brought up who should be ashamed I'm not. This is a great old car and as I stated in my post I spent a lot of time and yes a fair amount of money correcting and sorting a bunch of MECHANICAL details as noted in my original post. I have a lot of experience with making Paxton cars run right, in fact one of my discoveries after much dyno time with a see-through carb bonnet I made, as well as tons of road tuning with dual wideband O2 sensors and EGT probes on my Paxton SC '65, was to incorporate a marine spark arrestor on the carb to prevent the "tornado in a telephone booth" from pulling fuel out of the bowl vents. This one mod is so incredibly effective you can typically pull 5-10 jet sizes out and get the car to run spot on A/F ratios. I shared this info with Craig Conley including the mfr and part # for these arrestors and now he considers it a mandatory addition and includes them with his Paxton kits as I understand it.  Anyway on top of this on 2148 I fixed a number of things from a cam that was simply wrong for a boosted application, not only bleeding boost but also needing an electric vacuum pump for the power brakes, aftermarket headers, a "hot rod" exhaust, Hurst shifter, aftermarket 10 spokes, and on and on. So yeah $30k goes by in a blink with stuff like a $5k Scott Fuller concours exhaust and correct '67 manifolds, a rebuilt OE shifter from Jim Cowles, wheels, hubcaps, Polyglas tires, and then going through the engine, trans, brakes, fuel system, suspension etc to make it all work like it should. Oh, I did paint the inside of the trunk as it wasn't finished to my standards and had the original wood steering wheel restored by the same fellow who does them for Bill Kemper's Cobras and others. I also re-did the instrument cluster and detailed the dash to make it nice and crisp.

That said the paint done by Cobra was still excellent, a lot of the interior was still original and really great, and cosmetically the car was super nice so yeah I saw no reason to pull off the side stripes and risk screwing up the paint or having a shadow visible. Simply didn't bother me that much as the car just looks killer as it is. The crappy repop wheels, Radial T/As and fast n' furious exhaust though- all that had to go immediately!

I've never been a die hard concours correct guy as I like good old cars with good bones that run and drive like they should. Or better. Don't get me wrong I appreciate your and others dedication to picture perfect cars that get pushed on and off of trailers just to get rolled into or out of a show, or maybe putter along over a concours lawn, but I'm a driver first and foremost. I get my pleasure from hopping in these cars and driving them hard on the back roads to Road America, a cruise night, or an early Sunday morning blast to feel what it was like when they were new and step back in time. Not one of these cars rolled out of SA as perfect as some like them to be now and I'm not bothered by a GT350 callout that has an extra 2" of white vinyl stripe next to it that shouldn't be there.

So, ashamed I am not. 2148 came into my life as something that wasn't fun to drive and didn't live up to the legend. But it left as something that was all of that and more. My buddy, who has owned it for the past 3 years, has enjoyed that just as much as I have and I'm sure the next owner will too. 2148 is a great car and in the world of 1965-1967 cars a factory Paxton car is hard to beat IMO, especially one that rips like this one does!

Hope this helps explain things a bit.

Wishing you all the best and a very Merry Christmas, Bob.

Colin

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2019, 04:22:01 PM »
Hi Bob,

Actually as somebody who has owned the car and reviewed its entire history file, spoken to owners, etc. yes I am aware a lot can happen in 23 years. However in this case I can assure you the paint and stripes were done at Cobra Automotive when it was restored. As we all know 23 years is a long time in the continual growth of knowledge on these cars as well as the availability of correct restoration parts as well. This isn't the only '67 that was restored a long time ago and has 65/66 style stripes on it. Wasn't throwing the old Sasquatch hunter under the bus just stating a fact- they did the paint and stripes many moons ago. It is what it is.

Now, since you brought up who should be ashamed I'm not. This is a great old car and as I stated in my post I spent a lot of time and yes a fair amount of money correcting and sorting a bunch of MECHANICAL details as noted in my original post. I have a lot of experience with making Paxton cars run right, in fact one of my discoveries after much dyno time with a see-through carb bonnet I made, as well as tons of road tuning with dual wideband O2 sensors and EGT probes on my Paxton SC '65, was to incorporate a marine spark arrestor on the carb to prevent the "tornado in a telephone booth" from pulling fuel out of the bowl vents. This one mod is so incredibly effective you can typically pull 5-10 jet sizes out and get the car to run spot on A/F ratios. I shared this info with Craig Conley including the mfr and part # for these arrestors and now he considers it a mandatory addition and includes them with his Paxton kits as I understand it.  Anyway on top of this on 2148 I fixed a number of things from a cam that was simply wrong for a boosted application, not only bleeding boost but also needing an electric vacuum pump for the power brakes, aftermarket headers, a "hot rod" exhaust, Hurst shifter, aftermarket 10 spokes, and on and on. So yeah $30k goes by in a blink with stuff like a $5k Scott Fuller concours exhaust and correct '67 manifolds, a rebuilt OE shifter from Jim Cowles, wheels, hubcaps, Polyglas tires, and then going through the engine, trans, brakes, fuel system, suspension etc to make it all work like it should. Oh, I did paint the inside of the trunk as it wasn't finished to my standards and had the original wood steering wheel restored by the same fellow who does them for Bill Kemper's Cobras and others. I also re-did the instrument cluster and detailed the dash to make it nice and crisp.

That said the paint done by Cobra was still excellent, a lot of the interior was still original and really great, and cosmetically the car was super nice so yeah I saw no reason to pull off the side stripes and risk screwing up the paint or having a shadow visible. Simply didn't bother me that much as the car just looks killer as it is. The crappy repop wheels, Radial T/As and fast n' furious exhaust though- all that had to go immediately!

I've never been a die hard concours correct guy as I like good old cars with good bones that run and drive like they should. Or better. Don't get me wrong I appreciate your and others dedication to picture perfect cars that get pushed on and off of trailers just to get rolled into or out of a show, or maybe putter along over a concours lawn, but I'm a driver first and foremost. I get my pleasure from hopping in these cars and driving them hard on the back roads to Road America, a cruise night, or an early Sunday morning blast to feel what it was like when they were new and step back in time. Not one of these cars rolled out of SA as perfect as some like them to be now and I'm not bothered by a GT350 callout that has an extra 2" of white vinyl stripe next to it that shouldn't be there.

So, ashamed I am not. 2148 came into my life as something that wasn't fun to drive and didn't live up to the legend. But it left as something that was all of that and more. My buddy, who has owned it for the past 3 years, has enjoyed that just as much as I have and I'm sure the next owner will too. 2148 is a great car and in the world of 1965-1967 cars a factory Paxton car is hard to beat IMO, especially one that rips like this one does!

Hope this helps explain things a bit.

Wishing you all the best and a very Merry Christmas, Bob.

Colin
Colin, there is no debating the car is rare and from appearances a nice looking car. At the risk of rubbing salt in the wound the issue of my statement was in part that the stripes were done like a 68 not a 65 /66 like you apparently are under the impression that they are.  Striping a 67 Shelby like a 68 is a common mistake. Most 67 Shelby owners know the difference. Mainly the ashamed part had to do with the mistake of the 68 style center stripe on the fender being substantially longer on one side compared to the other. That would bug me. If you say you were too scared too fix it rather then missed it completely when doing all of your fixes I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Removing vinyl stripes is typically a doable straight forward fix for others especially if the same size stripe is going back in place. I know I would have to fix it regardless of what it took if I owned the car even for a short time . But that is just me . I wasn't referring to anything else in your long list just the stripe like I said. Thank you for the well wishes. Bob 

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2019, 05:33:58 PM »
Like Bob said, having '68 stripe on a '67 is a really common event.  It was like that on no. 83 when I bought it.  Not hard at all to fix, and it only means having to remove the fender portion (obviously),  someone on this forum had recommended Rapid Remover Advesive Remover. 

https://www.amazon.com/Remover-Sprayer-Adhesive-Graphics-Stripes/dp/B01MSFD50H/ref=asc_df_B01MSFD50H/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309777800852&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15054466560492577900&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009619&hvtargid=pla-569362260161&psc=1

Best money I ever spent, zero effort.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2019, 06:03:48 PM »
Its the most obvious  cheaper and easier fixes that  you overlook sometimes...  Wonder if it has the correct fan blade on alternator?   ;) 
Some of you will get that joke!! lol

chris

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Tom Honegger

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2019, 10:02:24 PM »
CSX289, I LOVED your reply to Bob Gaines. Very well stated. Thank you.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2019, 10:27:58 PM »
I think the whole point is that it would not have been too hard or take much time to fix before presenting the car for sale.  Especially if one expects to get top dollar.  Unfortunately it makes one wonder what else may be incorrect.

That being said...it is still a bucket list car!

Jon
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:31:56 PM by 1175 »