News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Did someone say paperwork?

Started by pmustang, November 24, 2019, 02:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmustang

A few weeks ago I attended and showed 2 cars at the NEC expo centre in Birmingham England. At the show I spoke to dozens of dozens of folks. No one however was an elderly gent who spoke to me and my wife three times. He had an awesome story. He moved to America from the UK with his young wife and child with 100 pounds in his pocket and a hard work attitude. He moved to the states and worked for GE. He was doing very well and was told he had a job for life if he wanted it. He told story after story about how much he loved the USA and working for GE. Then he saw a 67 Mustang in the dealership and had to have it. As he knew he would eventually move to the UK again he bought a 6 cyl model but choose the fastback as he loved the design

He started looking at Shelbys and really wanted one of those and was in the process of saving up for one to trade his fastback for but it was no to be. One day his wife, just before he left for work, said she was going back to the UK and that was that. he packed up and moved back with her, taking his 67 Fastback with him shipping it on the Queen Elizabeth!!!

So in chatting with him I enquired if the car was possibly for sale and he said it would be "for the right price" So I was interested as you would be :-)

I set up a meeting with him after the show ended Sunday night, We were 3 hours from home and he was a further hour from our house so wanted to tie the visit into this trip. It was not to be. His ride to the show (a 68 Charger) had mechanical trouble so me and my wife drove home with hopes to see the car one day.

A week later I rang up Herbie and spoke to him and he was wanting me to see it in the spring so I could have nice weather to inspect. YEAH RIGHT, Like I would be able to wait. Long story short I drove 4 hours last night and stayed in a hotel and then saw the car this AM. She was a tired old 67 but remarkably solid having been in storage since 1978 after a run in with a hedge put it off the road.

What I adored about the car was the dash, you will see what I mean when you see the photos.

With the purchase came a briefcase that he said contained all the documents on the car. I figured it would be the usual. A nice spread of receipts with few meaningful bits. BOY WAS I WRONG.

I have had well over 150 Mustangs, some with insane levels of documentation but never had this sort of paperwork from day one of ownership and since. Letters to USA car dealers ordering parts, tech specs. Owners card, Orig owners manual, safety brochure and windscreen card, First payment receipt, selling salespersons card, Dealer deal sheet, invoice, window sticker.....gobs and gobs of it including the mirror hang tags from the Queen Elizabeth

pmustang

A fellow forum member helped me with the correct link a few posts down. Cheers. Peter

honker

Wow ! what a great story ! do you have to be signed in to imgur to see the photos ?

Mike

67_1183

Quote from: pmustang on November 24, 2019, 03:04:05 PM
Well, Imgur used to be easy, really easy, not anymore. Can't seem to do what I used to do anymore on there. I have a ton of photos but can't do squat with them, Sorry

Try this:

https://imgur.com/a/VOYVouV

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

honker

Can see the photos now,  :) thank you !

Mike

Side-Oilers

Wow, great find. Love the extra switches and gauges because they look vintage.

What's that mounted above the glove box?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Shelby_r_b

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing!!! And, congrats.
Nothing beats a classic!

pmustang

Quote from: 67_1183 on November 24, 2019, 03:30:29 PM
Quote from: pmustang on November 24, 2019, 03:04:05 PM
Well, Imgur used to be easy, really easy, not anymore. Can't seem to do what I used to do anymore on there. I have a ton of photos but can't do squat with them, Sorry

Try this:

https://imgur.com/a/VOYVouV

Well thats you hired for my IT team!

thank you very much.

I love the hang tags from the Queen Elizabeth from when he shipped it home.

pmustang

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 24, 2019, 06:11:29 PM
Wow, great find. Love the extra switches and gauges because they look vintage.

What's that mounted above the glove box?

I have not gotten the car back home yet, it was collected yesterday, I can check when it gets to me

Cheers. Peter

mark p

cool story and sounds like a great car  8)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

rbarkley

Now take Herbie to the local pub and record all those stories of his.  Great find and it sounds like the car went to the right guy.  Congrats!
Ron

pmustang

Rbarkley, Oh we chatted, I was there for hours. I needed to dig the car out and wait for the haulier. He mostly told me about the women he got with that car back in the day!! and about his girl that he had a child with telling him she was moving back to the UK early one morning when he got ready for work "when you get home I wan't be here" she told him. Said he would have stayed in the USA forever if she had not done that. Then later in the day he showed me a girlfriend sitting on the hood when the car was nearly new and that she was "the one" Made me laugh