News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Has anyone on the forum ever looked at this car in person?

Started by Greg, February 25, 2018, 08:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

If yes, what were your take aways.  I'm not versed in 70 Shelby's and wondered what was good and bad with this one.

Thanks,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253436649503?ul_noapp=true
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on February 25, 2018, 08:36:32 PM
If yes, what were your take aways.  I'm not versed in 70 Shelby's and wondered what was good and bad with this one.

Thanks,

This is not a good car to get acquainted with 69/70 cars with IMO.  From the pictures you could write a list of many pages of the items that are detailed incorrectly and wrong parts used. This my be considered nice if you didn't care about any of that. It appears that stock originality and not customizing was the direction that was intended . With that said these kinds of cars frustrate me because of the poor choices the restorer made .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Greg

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 26, 2018, 12:08:09 AM

Thanks,

This is not a good car to get acquainted with 69/70 cars with IMO.  From the pictures you could write a list of many pages of the items that are detailed incorrectly and wrong parts used. This my be considered nice if you didn't care about any of that. It appears that stock originality and not customizing was the direction that was intended . With that said these kinds of cars frustrate me because of the poor choices the restorer made .

Thanks Bob, I love original or restored to original cars as well.  I have seen that it has been for sale a few times but it never seemed to reach the price. 

billups67

Greg

I have a red 70 GT500 auto ac car that is in very original condition. It had 1 repaint back in the early 70's due to a minor bump in the right rear qt panel. email me if you are looking for a good original car. jason@billupsclassiccars.com

Bigfoot

Quote from: Greg on February 26, 2018, 09:23:33 AM

Thanks,

Thanks Bob, I love original or restored to original cars as well.  I have seen that it has been for sale a few times but it never seemed to reach the price.

Please note that it's not (even) painted the original color.
Nor a color that came on those cars with the "exception " being the exception.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Some cars are just drivers. Not everyone can make theirs totally correct, either due to skill/time or size of checkbook.

Maybe this one needs lower ride height, non-Asian tires and a full tank of gas.   8)

Greg

Quote from: Bigfoot on February 26, 2018, 12:37:46 PM
Quote from: Greg on February 26, 2018, 09:23:33 AM

Thanks,

Please note that it's not (even) painted the original color.
Nor a color that came on those cars with the "exception " being the exception.

I never understood why someone would change the original color of one of these cars.  The value is in originiality as much as possible and having the color change is a BIG negative for most people.  On a standard mustang I get it, but not a valuable rare car.

papa scoops

don't overlook where it is. I see lots of rust ready to break thru, plus all the surface rust inside and out. maybe low miles, but was it left in the ocean? poor "used car detailing" should have left blk jade. stripe install poor, lots more wrong. phred

5s386

"Everything on the car is original except the fresh paint" 

Here is the Ebay auction (words) January 2011: "Off road since 1975, rotisserie restoration in progress, no rust, in primer-needs paint, drivetrain and suspension done." Matt-seller

Bigfoot

I remember looking at JIm Ingeles's old car 9-10 years ago that had been painted black.
His 69.
They do look nice in that color....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

mark p

Quote from: 5s386 on February 26, 2018, 04:35:12 PM

Here is the Ebay auction (words) January 2011: "Off road since 1975, rotisserie restoration in progress, no rust, in primer-needs paint, drivetrain and suspension done." Matt-seller

WTF? Which is it?? ???
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

5s386

Quote from: mark p on February 26, 2018, 05:49:10 PM
Quote from: 5s386 on February 26, 2018, 04:35:12 PM

WTF? Which is it?? ???

The recent auction words were first.

The 2011 auction words were below.