News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Was Leo Bebee such a villain?

Started by computerworks, November 25, 2019, 11:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

computerworks

Good drama requires a hero and a villain. In the recent movie, Ford v Ferrari, Ken Miles is the obvious hero and Leo Beebe is portrayed as the antagonist and villain. Actor Josh Lucas, as Beebe, does an excellent job playing a soulless, corporate manager ostensibly responsible for ordering the famous 1-2-3 photo finish which deprived Miles of becoming the first driver to win Daytona, Sebring and LeMans in the same year.

You leave the theater despising Leo Beebe but was he really the embodiment of corporate evil? ...Hardly.
As Ford Director of Racing in 1966 he was just doing a difficult job in the midst of conflicting personalities in the pressure-cooker of high stakes racing.

The movie may be great theater but, in this case, it is not accurate history.

SAAC interviewed Leo Bebee 35 years ago, and documented the history and flavor of his tenure during that time. Published in Issue #43 of The Shelby American in 1984.. we present that article for your review.

Please share far and wide to correct the misconceptions of Leo's role.

Click HERE for the article--->  http://www.saacforum.com/files/fb/SA43HR.pdf

This article will be reprinted with new COLOR photos added in the Winter 2020 Issue of The Shelby American, available for download by all SAAC members.

If you are NOT a SAAC Member, consider this:
For the last 45 years, SAAC has captured and curated the history of the cars and people that made Shelby a legend. Join SAAC today to support this legacy and help continue the process for years to come.

https://saac.wildapricot.org/page-258810\

All members receive our Quarterly digital magazine, The Shelby American.
Full members receive a full-color 300+ page Annual containing the print version of all quarterly magazines.

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

I wondered the same

I still wonder why Miles car didnt cross first? Theyvould have had the same photo-op

The Lemans rule was kind of obscure, I doubt anyone could have been that devious

JD

One printed account was that Miles did as directed but the black car hit the gas and pulled ahead just at the end, Miles did not react to the action.

Glad that some "corrections" to the movie interpretation are being posted for at least a small group to be aware of.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

TedS

Thanks for reminding us and adding this important perspective.
BTW, an excellent article.

mark p

Wow, thanks.

I had no idea about all of the details... now I can help spread the facts.
Especially interesting [to me]  locations mentioned... as we live very close to Woodbury NJ - have now lived in that area for about 45 years, took a few night classes at Glassboro State as well. But I didn't join SAAC until the very late the 80s.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

69mach351w

According to CS's "lost interview", he was ask about people that were involved in the 1966 LeMans program and was ask specifically about each one that was brought up by the interviewer and Beebe's name came up, CS didn't have anything harsh to say about Beebe that he was just doing his job. 

Side-Oilers

Excellent perspective on Beebe's role and the inner-workings of Ford's racing program at that time.  Thanks for posting!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

427heaven

Actually its very accurate..... Peter Miles was the lead on how to show what happened back in the day as he remembered them. Remember there are two sides to every story and depending what side of the fence your on will determine what you call villainous. The movie portrayed some wrench throwing and some little girlie fights, rolling around on the lawn giggling like school children after it was over. Truth be told grown men don't laugh and giggle after a tussle on the lawn trying to hit the other on the head with hot dog buns. There were a few crow bars and hammers with BEEBES name on it if the timing was right. It was us VS them mentality back then, and LEO BEEBE was known as the A hole of the group, he knew NOTHING about racing and was a corporate bean counter, this led to the conflicts between the SUITS and the coveralls. If your a corporate type he was a great guy doing what he was told and should be commended, if your trying to put together the finest group of engineers, racers, mechanics, fabrication guys, to win the greatest endurance race in the world you need to listen to the ring leader OL SHEL and do as he suggests. BEEBE DIDNT therefore a true A HOLE. There are still a few guys left from that era and more then one story was shared with me regarding him. So lets not get it twisted for history's sake , its just a movie but fairly accurate. >:(

68countrysedan

Thank you for the historical perspective. I have nothing but comtempt for the villification of Leo Beebe's character in the film. But you have to have a corporate villian in films today. 

Here's a quote from Leo Beebe, on page 112 of Shelby GT40 by Dave Friedman:

".....When Henry Ford saw me at the starting line before the race, he handed me a card that said, "You better win, HFII."

Not much pressure there.

Out of 7 Mk. ll's entered (4 Shelby American and 3 Holman Moody) only three finished. Imagine Beebe's mindset if they hadn't.

As for the US verus THEM, Ford funded the racing effort, so I don't think managment was all bad.

PS: I know: FvF isn't a documentary.

propayne

There are so many threads on this movie - maybe it has been mentioned or posted already, but if not it is worth mentioning that there is also a fascinating interview with Ken Miles in issue # 42 of the Shelby American.

Apparently this was an interview that Mile's did for Los Angeles FM radio station KRHM about a month before his death.

I've only posted a small portion of the article and highlighted the section that I find particular interesting, in light of the movie.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

427heaven

Quote from: 68countrysedan on November 25, 2019, 05:14:46 PM
Thank you for the historical perspective. I have nothing but comtempt for the villification of Leo Beebe's character in the film. But you have to have a corporate villian in films today. 

Here's a quote from Leo Beebe, on page 112 of Shelby GT40 by Dave Friedman:

".....When Henry Ford saw me at the starting line before the race, he handed me a card that said, "You better win, HFII."

Not much pressure there.

Out of 7 Mk. ll's entered (4 Shelby American and 3 Holman Moody) only three finished. Imagine Beebe's mindset if they hadn't.

As for the US verus THEM, Ford funded the racing effort, so I don't think managment was all bad.

PS: I know: FvF isn't a documentary.
It was a mutual admiration society- They both needed each other to accomplish their goals. The suits said they were hooligans, skirt chasers ,drunkards, insubordinates , a fine bunch of guys to create the fastest cars in the world. In the end FORD needed them more then the racers needed FORD. Now a days if you don't understand racing you wont be allowed 5 miles from the race shop no matter their education credentials.

Side-Oilers

It was indeed a different time, long ago and far away.   I liked how it worked better, back then. 

More fun as a race spectator, car magazine reader, and pro-America supporter, IMO. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

kjspeed

Saw the film yesterday for the first time with my 20-year old grandson who is NOT a car guy, but is an extremely competitive athlete. I was curious on his opinion of A) the movie as entertainment and B) the story line. As far as entertainment value, he said it was one of the very few 2-1/2 hour movies that could hold his attention throughout. As far as the story line, he was tracking right along with it until the call for Miles to slow down. That pissed him off. We had a discussion on the way home and I explained to him that Miles was a Ford employee and as such, he needed to do what Ford requested or he would be out of a (fantastic, well-paying) job. The transcript of the radio interview from KRHM seems to back up that theory.

Had Miles disregarded Ford's demands he most likely would be sent packing. Although he was extremely talented, he would then have a reputation as not being a team player and that would have likely made it difficult or even impossible to land a job with another top shelf team. Maybe he saw himself turning wrenches again for jackwagons like his customer at the beginning of the movie if he didn't tow the company line?
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

shelbydoug

There are many very talented, educated and motivated people today that are stuck because there is no "deep pockets" in their lives.

There are three things that anyone needs for success. Talent, desire and opportunity. The  vast majority of the masses will never have that opportunity.

In this case, opportunity was created by Ford's desire to beat Ferrari.

A now deceased friend of the family who served with Patton in WWII was fond of remarking when he heard anyone refer to Patton as "ole' blood and guts", "sure, our blood...his guts".

You need the combination to win. Ford and Shelby both found that out of need for each other. Without it, Ford would still be a looser and Shelby just a chicken farmer driving sports cars...and there in lies a story.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!