News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ammeter Gauge

Started by rbarkley, November 25, 2019, 07:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarkley

Has anyone decided not to hook-up their ammeter gauge?   I am ready to install it, but after reading so many "warnings" about fires etc., and no inline fuse for the ammeter, I am questioning whether I should even hook it up.   What is the concensus of those driving their cars?
Thanks
Ron

Side-Oilers

I have the same question.  Mine is hooked up, but even with Coralsnake's excellent wiring harnesses in my KR, I'm a bit wary.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Shelby_r_b

Wow.  I had no idea.  I have mine hooked up, and I never knew there were risks!  :(
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rbarkley on November 25, 2019, 07:51:05 PM
Has anyone decided not to hook-up their ammeter gauge?   I am ready to install it, but after reading so many "warnings" about fires etc., and no inline fuse for the ammeter, I am questioning whether I should even hook it up.   What is the concensus of those driving their cars?
Thanks
Ron
Ron,I am wondering if you are confusing the early car aircraft sourced terminal block with the insulator wafer on the bottom with the more typical one that Ford made and used on the vast majority of 67 and all 68 Shelby's? The early style if installed without the insulating wafer could result in a catastrophic electrical fire.Thousands of amp gauges installed in 67 and 68 Shelby's with just anecdotal stories about problems indicate it is not much of a issue for the vast majority. Many owners hook the gauge up wrong where it does not work is the most common problem . All of the power for the car has to run through the gauge for it to work properly.I am sure there are some out there but I don't remember coming across one that wasn't hooked up on purpose. I have seen quite a few 67 and 68 Shelby's
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

Maybe I'm overly concerned, but there's a lot of current going through that old gauge. 

Personally, I prefer an ammeter for a more accurate reading of my charging system's activity, versus just a voltage reading, but...
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

67350#1242

The best thing you can do to decrease the chances of heat or fire is to make sure the connectors at the gauge and terminal block are clean, tight and crimped well.  Even to the point of adding solder to the connector crimps.  Also star washers under connectors at the gauge help insure a tight low resistance connection.   Loose or corroded connections create a high resistance point  in the circuit that can melt wires or possibly cause a fire. 
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

GT350DAVE

Make sure there is a suitable grommet in the firewall so the wires are protected from chafing.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

greekz

Mine has been connected for almost 30 years, with no problems.  As previously stated, I just made sure the routing was correct, tight connections, and clean.  Also, after every drive I check everything to make sure all is okay.  One never knows with a 50 plus year old car.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Rocket

Why not just put an inline fuse in the wire to the amp gauge? That's what I did on 6S550, and our '66 convertible, after the amp gauge on the '66 convertible shorted internally and caused an electrical fire. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

1967 eight barrel

I also insulated the inside of the pod with rubber insulation.  I wouldn't be concerned with a 60 amp alternator causing the gauge pod to burst into flames. The adhesive rubber insulation and being mindful of terminal location on the gauge as well insulating other than the wrap at the grommet though the firewall is adequate.

-Keith

jguyer

Quote from: greekz on November 26, 2019, 12:19:13 PM
Mine has been connected for almost 30 years, with no problems.  As previously stated, I just made sure the routing was correct, tight connections, and clean.  Also, after every drive I check everything to make sure all is okay.  One never knows with a 50 plus year old car.
3120 never had any problems until I took it out last fall and suddenly, no start, no lights, no horn, no nothing. Disconnected and bypassed ammeter, everything works (except ammeter). Not sure about taking case apart, any suggestions?
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: jguyer on December 08, 2019, 04:27:39 PM
Quote from: greekz on November 26, 2019, 12:19:13 PM
3120 never had any problems until I took it out last fall and suddenly, no start, no lights, no horn, no nothing. Disconnected and bypassed ammeter, everything works (except ammeter). Not sure about taking case apart, any suggestions?
Too bad you had to be the guy but the amp gauges rarely fail in comparison to the oil pressure gauges. FYI having a defective amp gauge restored by one of the reputable instrument companies will cost as much or more then what you can typically buy a nice used gauge for on the secondary market. Just what I have experienced.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby