Author Topic: upper control arm restoration  (Read 3185 times)

Ldouble619

• View Profile
upper control arm restoration
« on: February 25, 2018, 09:09:40 AM »
69 UCA restoration, who does it and how much?

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
Re: upper control arm restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »
First make sure you have virtually pit free arms. 2nd make sure they aren't all gouged up from pickle fork removal .  3rd  make sure they aren't cracked .  I prefer to have arms that still have original riveted ball joints.  makes for a much better job - If they uses a torch or a air zip gun to take out the rivets,  you will always be able to tell.   If someone wants me to get rust pitted arms I usually tell them not to send them without them get them glass beaded to check out the pitting.  It gets to a point to get the pits out its not worth the time and effort when I can get rust free cores.  By the time you grind out all the pits you lose the original metal stamping and  strength and the labor will add up to more than buying better cores
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Ldouble619

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:27:59 AM »
Thanks for the in sight, Jim.  Do you have any for sale that are restored? 

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the in sight, Jim.  Do you have any for sale that are restored?

Its been hard for me to keep good 67-69s  in stock .   Ive got a couple month backlog on doing the castings
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 04:27:07 PM »
 i got some extra southwest dry upper arms   u need early  cut back or late uppers depends on when car built

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 05:40:16 PM »
There's a 4 rivet reproduction upper control arms made by Rare Parts (or something like that).  They're a good 2nd choice if finding good originals becomes a lengthy endeavor.  The shape on the sides may need some tweaking.  I had an older set that I had to shave quite a bit off of to match to the correct dimensions as an original.  Blasted/tumbled and they came out real nice.  Replaced the ball joints with moog ones and C7 boots.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 07:36:45 PM »
There's a 4 rivet reproduction upper control arms made by Rare Parts (or something like that). 

I can confirm the business is Rare Parts in Stockton CA. Make and or have made a number of reproduction suspension parts for some of the better know companies.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge