News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Weber 48 IDA Series Carburetor. Made in Italy, maybe but maybe not.

Started by Dan Case, November 28, 2019, 07:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Case

Made in Italy, maybe, made by the famous carburetor company S.p.A. Edorado Weber, maybe not.

Take note and buyer beware as not all "MADE IN ITALY" marked 48 IDA Series carburetors in the marketplace are genuine 'originals', i.e. not every one was made by the company that you think made them.
I will let those interested look up the words resemblance and or counterfeit.

I see some 48 IDA, 48 IDA-1, and lots of 48 IDA4 models for sale that do not match several hundreds of known examples produced by the S.p.A. Edorado Weber (Weber) firm in Italy.  I once saw two (2) each bogus serial number 1 48 IDA carburetors for sale while attending a single SAAC convention.  At least three entities have produced counterfeit parts and carburetors since the 1970s. All the main body castings indicated that they were made in Italy. Were they? I have no idea but they sure don't match what Weber actually made. I have read in print that the first counterfeits started showing up in the UK by 1971 and that includes service parts and whole carburetors.  I have read about and corresponded with racers that some of the issues users suffered were believed to have resulted in getting bogus parts or carburetors mixed into their racing induction systems. 

The common context  is a seller claiming their offering(s) is(are) genuine Weber made in Italy carburetors solely based on the detail of having "MADE IN ITALY" cast into the main bodies.  That line of text is not an automatic verification of authenticity.  So, how does one identify a potential counterfeit? In broad terms the two situations that automatically call my attention to them is 1) mixed features and 2) poor aluminum castings quality. One can drill down to smaller details but most of the time one does not have to do much study. 

Mixed Features:  Many of the parts from main body castings to small ancillary parts were made in series that change specifications over time. If an used assembly has let's say design features of two to several different "factory" periods mixed into one carburetor, that has me examine the unit more carefully. Notes: 1) Restored carburetors almost always have mixed time frame and or design parts incorporated in them.  That makes evaluating them more difficult.  2) At least one clever person has started modifying 1970s and later Weber made carburetors to closely mimic 1960s versions right down to restamping of model and serial numbers. 

Poor Aluminum Castings (body and cover): Weber had very nice aluminum die casting molds to produce the blanks for these parts.  The best counterfeit castings are often very hard to identify as such because the makers went to a lot of trouble to produce their castings. One version of counterfeits has very poorly done castings.  Take a look at the image below. It looks like somebody made something like a plaster cast of a genuine body and hand poured their versions. Not shown but there are gaps in places in the mounting flanges where metal did not get to. Yes,  it is really easy to spot as not genuine even though it says "MADE IN ITALY" on it.

How many bogus carburetors are out in the world?  I have no idea. In my database I have enough very questionable units to be aware that bogus ones are out there.

Bear all this in mind when somebody offers some 'real' made in Italy carburetors for sale.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.