News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ammeter at +30... all the time

Started by Grouper Trooper, December 01, 2019, 10:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouper Trooper

The Ammeter stays at +30 all the time and I can hear the alternator whining. Same with replacement alt. Car is running fine. Any ideas???
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
2 X 4 Holley's sittin' on all SCAT 331
www.mpaenforcement.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Grouper Trooper on December 01, 2019, 10:22:59 AM
The Ammeter stays at +30 all the time and I can hear the alternator whining. Same with replacement alt. Car is running fine. Any ideas???
Have you had the regulator checked?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Grouper Trooper

After seeing your reply, I just replaced it with a new Motorcraft I had in the garage, sadly, no change...  :(
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
www.mpaenforcement.com

1967 eight barrel

Is it a solid-state or mechanical regulator? I had an issue with two mechanical units. I purchased a Napa solid-state unit, a Concours reproduction cover and ground down the resin until the cover fit. Not an issue since. I was bouncing back and forth from zero to 30 amps.
                                                                                       -Keith

Grouper Trooper

Both are solid state. The first an Autolite blue top repo and the second a Motorcraft. I just don't know what else could be causing this. This one starts and stays at 30. I can even hear the alternator wine...
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
www.mpaenforcement.com

Coralsnake

How do you have the alternator wires connected under the hood?

Grouper Trooper

using the junction block and diagram on the Branda website and of course the factory plug in.
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
www.mpaenforcement.com