News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Interesting prize winner 1967 Shelby

Started by 67 GT350, December 01, 2019, 08:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

Came across this on youtube vintage pictures of cool dads. Read the caption.
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Shelby_r_b

I've seen this picture before - cool story!

Also, is it me, or is fender emblem placement off?  Just curious...
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

I think Brian G posted some on this image and tried to determine which car it was.

Was part of a PF Flyer shoe promotion.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

BGlover67

Quote from: JD on December 01, 2019, 10:13:00 PM
I think Brian G posted some on this image and tried to determine which car it was.

Was part of a PF Flyer shoe promotion.

Yes!  I spoke with the PF Flyer's Historian, but they have zero records.  Who ever posted that image with the associated text posted it originally on Reddit.  The wise guy comments were endless.", "You'll shoot your eye out kid", as the young boy on the hood has a striking resemblance to Ralphie Parker (Peter Billingsley) from 'A Christmas Story'.  He deleted his account on Reddit and the trail goes cold from there.

Dave M tried to research it before the last  '67 Registry was published, but he only had so much time and resources.  Still, it would be cool to be able to tell a '67 GT500 owner that their car was first prize in a sneaker contest!
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

67 GT350

Yes very cool, and thanks to the above for uprighting that picture for me, I am not sure how to do  that on here.....Apple?!?!?!
RARE  Signature Delete

BGlover67

Here are better pictures including an ad for the contest itself.

Here is the original Reddit thread.  Any ideas how to contact the long deleted author of this thread?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/3030c7/when_my_dad_was_16_he_entered_his_name_in_a/

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

67 GT350

WOW! Very cool! Did he actually think he won a jacket?
RARE  Signature Delete

BGlover67

You are all exceptional observant, can we limit the potential cars it could have been?  It's obviously a '67, hubcap car, not white or black (probably not Nightmist either.  The red colorization is just a guess).  Also, the contest details say it ended May 23, 1967.  Does that tell us anything?  How many cars could that be?  A lot, probably.

Oh, ad says it's an automatic!
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Special Ed

67 GT350

The picture in the ad shows lights in the upper scoups. Do we know the region of the country? National or Local?
RARE  Signature Delete

BGlover67

Quote from: 67 GT350 on December 02, 2019, 12:36:36 PM
The picture in the ad shows lights in the upper scoups. Do we know the region of the country? National or Local?

I think that's a generic pic of car 176, when it was badged as a GT500.  Ok, ready for something bizarre?  I just read online where someone thinks the guy handing the winner the keys is Ray Bolger aka the Scarecrow from the Wizard of OZ.  What do you think?  He does have the correct nose profile, double chin.  Born in 1904, he would have been 63 at that time.  Here he is from sometime in the '60s. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5dubR5YNGU

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

BGlover67

Quote from: Special Ed on December 02, 2019, 12:33:54 PM
What about the white stripe tires?

Ed, PF Flyers was owned by BF Goodrich at that time, so delivering a car with GoodYear Speedways would have made for an advertising faux pas.  I'm guessing the tires are BFG's.  `
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Richstang

I believe the B&W photos in the ad are from the brochure car photo shoot and not the same car as in the contest winner photo.
In the rear view, the license plate on the rear view and the larger prototype upper scoop light are the hints to that prototype lime gold GT350 (modified to a GT500 later on for the R&T issue).
The front view car shows black walls and no grille emblem (early car) that would suggest it was the prototype red GT500.

There were approximately 672 GT500s with Automatics.

The wide white wall tire on the contest photo is odd. (edit; BFGs tires would explain that...nice catch Brian)
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

BGlover67

Quote from: Richstang on December 02, 2019, 12:58:23 PM
I believe the B&W photos in the ad are from the brochure car photo shoot and not the same car as in the contest winner photo.
In the rear view, the license plate on the rear view and the larger prototype upper scoop light are the hints to that prototype lime gold GT350 (modified to a GT500 later on for the R&T issue).
The front view car shows black walls and no grille emblem (early car) that would suggest it was the prototype red GT500.

There were approximately 672 GT500s with Automatics.

The wide white wall tire on the contest photo is odd. (edit; BFGs tires would explain that...nice catch Brian)

How many of 672 were hubcap cars, not white, black or NM Blue?  here is a pic of a stock Camaro.  They came with BFG's white lines.  Look close?

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover