Author Topic: Correct trunk seal for 68 convertible?  (Read 1882 times)

Rukiddin

• View Profile
Correct trunk seal for 68 convertible?
« on: December 02, 2019, 12:37:23 PM »
Who sells the correct type seal for the convert? The one I got is “C” shaped . Is that correct?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Correct trunk seal for 68 convertible?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 05:38:45 PM »
Yes, that is correct. Folds over on itself for convertible

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 05:43:37 PM »
Thanks! Now I can enjoy the yellow 3M experience.... ;D

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »

You'd be best served using neoprene adhesive instead of the 3M junk.  Search ebay for "neoprene rubber contact adhesive"

The small container is good for 1-2 time use.  I've found the one with the brush has a steel shaft and will rust, causing the glue to turn dark brown.  I usually buy it by the quart and use a small paint brush to apply.  Apply to the entire trunk lid, then apply to the rubber in about 12" sections at a time and stick it.  If using a repro weather-strip, clean the contact surface well with solvent to remove any release mold residue.  I usually will rough up the contact surface with some 80 grit also to give it some more bite with the glue.

The color is perfect on this product, an amber color and will hold very tight, much better than the 3M stuff.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 09:50:04 PM »

You'd be best served using neoprene adhesive instead of the 3M junk.  Search ebay for "neoprene rubber contact adhesive"

The small container is good for 1-2 time use.  I've found the one with the brush has a steel shaft and will rust, causing the glue to turn dark brown.  I usually buy it by the quart and use a small paint brush to apply.  Apply to the entire trunk lid, then apply to the rubber in about 12" sections at a time and stick it.  If using a repro weather-strip, clean the contact surface well with solvent to remove any release mold residue.  I usually will rough up the contact surface with some 80 grit also to give it some more bite with the glue.

The color is perfect on this product, an amber color and will hold very tight, much better than the 3M stuff.
+1 on it will not store well. 1 or 2 time use only if you use it again within a week.At least that is all that it lasts for me. If it wasn't so much better it wouldn't be worth it IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 10:02:06 PM »
+1 on it will not store well. 1 or 2 time use only if you use it again within a week.At least that is all that it lasts for me. If it wasn't so much better it wouldn't be worth it IMO.

The best thing is to just buy the quart container.  Costs a bit more upfront, but lasts forever and won't turn dark brown. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 08:17:16 AM »
Sounds like I will be getting a Christmas present of glue...... :-*
Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:24:33 AM by Rukiddin »

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 03:38:23 PM »
I know most people use HERCO.  I see that 3M also makes a neoprene adhesive #1300.  Has anyone tried it?