Author Topic: What is driving a gt40 like?  (Read 10116 times)

6972boss

• View Profile
What is driving a gt40 like?
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:13:03 AM »
Had a interesting event happen recently.  Guy pulled up next to me at the gas station in a red superformance gt40, i was in my 67 gt500. He was probably in his late 60s and kinda struggled getting out. We exchanged greetings and talked for a long time. Really great guy. Beautiful gt40! Long story short, he asked if I would be interested in a trade as he has been thinking about selling. We exchanged info and went on our ways. 
2 things, I have never driven one of these so I don't know if I would like it.  The other is my 67 is my dream car and I am not sure I want to part with it,  however I would seriously consider a gt40!
What are SP cars worth? Are they uncomfortable like panteras? What are the pros and cons?
Just looking for some insight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: What is driving a gt40 like?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 12:25:36 AM »
Had a interesting event happen recently.  Guy pulled up next to me at the gas station in a red superformance gt40, i was in my 67 gt500. He was probably in his late 60s and kinda struggled getting out. We exchanged greetings and talked for a long time. Really great guy. Beautiful gt40! Long story short, he asked if I would be interested in a trade as he has been thinking about selling. We exchanged info and went on our ways. 
2 things, I have never driven one of these so I don't know if I would like it.  The other is my 67 is my dream car and I am not sure I want to part with it,  however I would seriously consider a gt40!
What are SP cars worth? Are they uncomfortable like panteras? What are the pros and cons?
Just looking for some insight.
A Pantera is much easier to get into compared to a vintage GT40. The doors make you have to be concerned with where you park . You need about half a parking space on ether side given the GT40 door. It is probably as comfortable as a Pantera. You have to beat off lookers with a stick where ever you stop. :) 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 03:19:20 AM »
Consider a Ford GT. Much more comfortable,but still have the parking concerns and the onlookers. I sold my dream car for one, and couldn’t be happier with it. However, the parts are extremely expensive if something happens, but I guess that’s what insurance is for.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 10:26:48 AM »
Consider a Ford GT. Much more comfortable,but still have the parking concerns and the onlookers. I sold my dream car for one, and couldn’t be happier with it. However, the parts are extremely expensive if something happens, but I guess that’s what insurance is for.
Not to confuse the OP I think he was asking about a vintage GT40 and not a more modern 05 and up Ford GT version.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 11:02:58 AM »
     One of my concerns when driving the Ford GT (or any of the exotic sport machines) on the public roadway with other vehicles is that your GT is shorter than most rear view mirrors, so even if the other driver is only somewhat attentive (versus completely oblivious), they may not be able to see you!  If your provided the opportunity to operate one, you'll notice how truly short they are and how low in comparison to others you seating position is, perhaps to the point of unnerving safety concerns.    :o   This issue is particularly prevalent being that the S.U.V. is so popular on the roads today. 

And yes, be sure to insure it, as for the 2004-06 Ford GT's if the aluminum-honeycomb-chassis is damaged, your out-of-luck!

Scott.   

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 02:32:46 PM »
having driven a  gt 40 on the street i will tell you it is the best and most frighting at same time .... you can look under the cars in front of you at the traffic light!
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

6972boss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »
Sounds like a blast to drive if you are on your toes. Now,  if you had a 67 gt500 would you trade for a "continuation/kit"?
Or am I loosing my mind?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:12:03 PM by 6972boss »

Rex Myers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 11:41:01 PM »
I have a 1967 GT500 and an Original Alan Mann Ford GT40 Ford team race car now. I did have a Pantera. The Pantera is a lot easier to get in than the GT40. Almost Zero rear visibility in my GT40. The 67 GT500 is a more usable car. But nothing will ever compare to the feel of the GT40 and the rumble of the exhaust beats all! The height of my 40 is just below my belt line.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 11:55:39 PM »
And as rex told me at MCACN show a gt40 is 40'' to top of windshield glass NOT total height of the car like most people would think!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 06:39:44 AM »
And as rex told me at MCACN show a gt40 is 40'' to top of windshield glass NOT total height of the car like most people would think!

My Pantera is 42" at the roof. You climb out head first because of the footwells. Floorpans are lowered 2". It's down there.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »
      In the Pantera the driver foot wells and pedal locations are to narrow for my size 12-1/2 to 13W shoes to operate the pedals comfortably.       :(

Scott.

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 11:44:46 AM »
To my mind trading a historical vehicle for a replica of a historical vehicle doesn’t make too much sense....That being said $$$$$ has an amazing analgesic function....LOL 8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »
+ 1 trent muy buena comparativa

To my mind trading a historical vehicle for a replica of a historical vehicle doesn’t make too much sense....That being said $$$$$ has an amazing analgesic function....LOL 8)
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 12:22:12 PM »
Rex, you DROVE your GT 40!!!!!!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 01:57:45 PM »
      In the Pantera the driver foot wells and pedal locations are to narrow for my size 12-1/2 to 13W shoes to operate the pedals comfortably.       :(

Scott.

Well why do you think the vast majority of race car drivers of the era are the size and weights of jockeys? For Gurney, who was 6-1 and a slight build they had to extend the roof with a bubble for his head.

There aren't ANY gorillas that I can think of that will fit in these cars.

It's just the nature of the beast for GT's to be tight. If you can't fit a Pantera, forget about a GT40 and even though they may have two "seats", they are really only intended to be for the driver.

They derived from the Lola GT and I don't think that car was ever seriously intended to be a street car?

I think it was the C5 Corvette where the "Press" thought they coined the phrase, "climbing the fence" because of the wide rockers and deep seat location. Those folks OBVIOUSLY never reviewed the GT40. Those aren't even rockers, those are pontoons.

They must be in the 15 to 20 inch wide vicinity?

The seats are fastened to the floor and more closely resemble something like the current 4c Alfa Romeo where the seats are part of the molded platform and you adjust the pedals, not the seats.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!