Author Topic: What is driving a gt40 like?  (Read 10110 times)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
Re: What is driving a gt40 like?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »
What’s driving a GT40. Like?
In my mind it’s one word, “Heaven”
I’m taller and weigh too much but I’d squeeze my big old butt into the seat, twist my head to the side, stuff it in that “Gurney Bubble” and just enjoy life 
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »
I’m taller and weigh too much but I’d squeeze my big old butt into the seat, twist my head to the side, stuff it in that “Gurney Bubble” and just enjoy life

Have you considered surgical alteration?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 07:30:59 PM »
The seats are fastened to the floor and more closely resemble something like the current 4c Alfa Romeo where the seats are part of the molded platform and you adjust the pedals, not the seats.

Or like the current FGT.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 09:42:20 PM »

Yeah, for a while, and then it'll get old, your back will hurt trying to get out of the thing, and you'll quit driving it, just like everybody else.       ;)

It can be interesting, at times, watching the uninitiated to the GT's in their first attempts at ingress and egress, quite a number of different contortions may be witnessed depending on the physique and imagination at hand in the moment.         :o

Scott.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 11:34:05 PM »
I was able to stuff myself in a 1966 Austin Healy Sprite for years, I’d make the sacrifice to do it in a GT40. I was driving my 66 GT350H today, noisy,  yes, full of squeaks and rattles, yes, steers and brakes hard, yep, but even after 240,000 miles it still brings a smile to my face. Makes me feel 21 again. A GT40 might make me feel 18
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
I think it was the C5 Corvette where the "Press" thought they coined the phrase, "climbing the fence" because of the wide rockers and deep seat location. Those folks OBVIOUSLY never reviewed the GT40. Those aren't even rockers, those are pontoons.

Probably still not he first for such, but the Mercedes 300SL Gullwing (1955-57) deserves mention.    ;)

Scott.

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »
So I had a 1972 Pantera many years ago and and although a cool car you when seat you were slightly turned to the right. I have a CAV GT40 currently and love it. 60 performance car with A/C/Heat and they are a blast to drive. I do have to wear driving shoes as my wide feet normal shoes don't work well but the rest is awesome. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FerJA-Pe9hQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYUF6pPRMiw

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »
I think buying/getting a replica GT40 might be the rage at the moment (RE- movie) but that will pass I’m sure based on the comfort issues etc.
I’d keep ur 67 Shelby unless you can get a trade on an 05/06 GT which is a pretty comfortable car and faster than anyone needs.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 02:20:40 PM »
... an 05/06 GT which is a pretty comfortable car and faster than anyone needs.

Not going to disagree, but I can't believe that I read that on here  :o ::) ???
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 02:38:22 PM »
I think buying/getting a replica GT40 might be the rage at the moment (RE- movie) but that will pass I’m sure based on the comfort issues etc.
I’d keep ur 67 Shelby unless you can get a trade on an 05/06 GT which is a pretty comfortable car and faster than anyone needs.

Size comparison;

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 02:04:09 PM »

Size comparison;

That's a great photo to show the top side to side comparison. Big difference.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 07:41:52 PM »

To pick up upon 2112’s pic showing just how small a GT40 is:

6972boss

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 12:04:12 AM »
Great pics! I've seen a few real Gt40s at the palm springs races. They are compact! So to be honest I've been fighting the gt40 bug for 30+ years. It has been growing in intensity for some years.  The movie really didn't spark anything more in me. I don't think the movie really made these more popular lately. This is an agonizing decision, I tell ya! I have been a car guy since I was a young kid with my matchbox cars. Now in my 5th decade I still like the noise, smell, vibrations and sensations of old, big block shelbys and mustangs, hasn't grown old yet. To me the gt40 had always been the ultimate.  My gt500 has always been 2nd on the list but more within reach,  except for now,  thanks to the recreations.
The owner of the red gt40 and I are still talking and taking our time with the deal. He is good to go but I am still not 100% with this yet. Always good to have outside opinions to think about. Thank you, keep em  coming they are very useful.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 01:10:48 AM »
A issue to consider is the fuel tanks in the wide rocker on the GT40. Most have a rubber fuel badder which have a short life span relatively speaking of 6-8 years. They start to break down and material plugs up fuel filter in the short term and in long term the tank starts to leak. It is not a easy fix. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 01:41:23 AM »
An SPF40, with an accurate tub and roof, especially in the RH drive, full mechanical shift linkage variant is .... faithful. They are no hokie kit car to be sure.
Its faults are the accurately reproduced faults of a GT40. It is my understanding that you have to want to like it and it won’t disappoint. It is not a 2020 M series BMW.
The hypocenter of the SPF40 world is http://www.olthoffracing.com and Rick at https://www.timemachineauto.com/

Regarding the fuel tanks: the SPF40 is equipped w tanks. Bladders are a $6800 upcharge.

Good Luck