Author Topic: What is driving a gt40 like?  (Read 10119 times)

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is driving a gt40 like?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »
Replica's are all well and good but the thing I hate the most is this question "Is it a real one?" which is a legitimate question.   That is why I wouldn't buy or even consider trading my original Shelby for a replica, continuation etc....  Anyone can buy a new replica, no one can buy your original Shelby unless you sale it to them :-).

Some will say "Yeah but who has the $millions to buy the real deal", okay I understand that, but unless your racing it, invest your money in a real one of what you can afford IMHO. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »
I respectfully disagree.

Most of these cars were obtainable by those with less than Uber large bank accounts at some point, either at time of first sale or shortly after. Now, due to their successes and rarity, they are mostly museum pieces or blue chip investments.

That's life. I get it.

The replicas are a chance for someone with significantly less wherewithal to own and more than likely, drive as intended. They are still far out of reach for the 99%ers.

It is the sincerest form of flattery, not a cheapening of the originals.

As long as owners aren't trying to pass them as originals (foolish) I sure think there is room enough for every one.

like being accepting of Day 2 cars (I am a huge fan of these as well).

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 12:29:17 PM »
A issue to consider is the fuel tanks in the wide rocker on the GT40. Most have a rubber fuel badder which have a short life span relatively speaking of 6-8 years. They start to break down and material plugs up fuel filter in the short term and in long term the tank starts to leak. It is not a easy fix.

The main issue with any fuel cell isn't the rubber bladder. The required cell foam inserts can break down over time and lead to fuel issues. The bladders can be re-certified by the manufacturer, the foam inserts are replaced per the sanctioning body. I just went through this very situation with my Shelby.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2020, 12:39:48 PM »
An SPF40, with an accurate tub and roof, especially in the RH drive, full mechanical shift linkage variant is .... faithful. They are no hokie kit car to be sure.
Its faults are the accurately reproduced faults of a GT40. It is my understanding that you have to want to like it and it won’t disappoint. It is not a 2020 M series BMW.
The hypocenter of the SPF40 world is http://www.olthoffracing.com and Rick at https://www.timemachineauto.com/

Regarding the fuel tanks: the SPF40 is equipped w tanks. Bladders are a $6800 upcharge.

Good Luck

Dennis Olthoff turns out some amazing SPF40's both for the street and the track. It's a great shop to visit with a lot of racing history here in the U.S. and South Africa.   :)

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »
The main issue with any fuel cell isn't the rubber bladder.

Do be aware that the bladders do fail in time, as we have had to replace several over the years, in vehicles which developed leaks, and upon removal observed obvious deterioration of the material.     ;)

Scott.

mark iv

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2020, 08:45:27 AM »
The Superformance cars use stainless steel tanks of 11 gallons each rather than the bladders.

I tell customers "the best thing about the Superformance GT40 is it is like the original; the worst thing about it is that it is like the original!"

My other standard line is "do you understand the difference between 'waterproof' and 'water resistant'?"  You must keep in mind these were race cars in the 60's and if the driver got dripped on, well that is part of what he was being paid for.

However the GT40 is way more user friendly that people expect, the SPF GT40 rides pretty well for a no rubber bushing suspension, the HVAC system works well in non-extreme conditions (I wouldn't drive across Death Valley) and the interior is a fairly comfortable place to be.

Long distance? See this post: https://www.gt40s.com/threads/1085-miles-with-wife-and-dog-in-two-days.28979/

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »
The Superformance cars use stainless steel tanks of 11 gallons each rather than the bladders.

I tell customers "the best thing about the Superformance GT40 is it is like the original; the worst thing about it is that it is like the original!"

My other standard line is "do you understand the difference between 'waterproof' and 'water resistant'?"  You must keep in mind these were race cars in the 60's and if the driver got dripped on, well that is part of what he was being paid for.

However the GT40 is way more user friendly that people expect, the SPF GT40 rides pretty well for a no rubber bushing suspension, the HVAC system works well in non-extreme conditions (I wouldn't drive across Death Valley) and the interior is a fairly comfortable place to be.

Long distance? See this post: https://www.gt40s.com/threads/1085-miles-with-wife-and-dog-in-two-days.28979/

I am certainly jealous. I think I'll take my 66 GT350H out today, just because you have inspired me ;D
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Bwarren

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2020, 12:44:53 PM »
Sold my 67 GT 500.  Miss it all the time.  Just saying.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2020, 05:51:38 PM »
Sold my 67 GT 500.  Miss it all the time.  Just saying.
Welcome. And sorry to hear it. Any way to get it back? Do you know the current whereabouts? Any good stories related to said G.T. 500?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

kram350

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2024, 10:54:45 AM »
Late to this post, but a GT40 is extremely spacious . Try getting into an original Lotus Europa.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2024, 02:53:33 PM »
Had a interesting event happen recently.  Guy pulled up next to me at the gas station in a red superformance gt40, i was in my 67 gt500. He was probably in his late 60s and kinda struggled getting out. We exchanged greetings and talked for a long time. Really great guy. Beautiful gt40! Long story short, he asked if I would be interested in a trade as he has been thinking about selling. We exchanged info and went on our ways. 
2 things, I have never driven one of these so I don't know if I would like it.  The other is my 67 is my dream car and I am not sure I want to part with it,  however I would seriously consider a gt40!
What are SP cars worth? Are they uncomfortable like panteras? What are the pros and cons?
Just looking for some insight.

If I had a historical vehicle 1967 GT500,  I would never trade for a replica of a GT40

Keep the real deal or maybe a 2005 / 06 GT

As you mentioned the person getting out struggled. Then more than likely so will you.

Keep "the real one"
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2024, 07:05:26 AM »
Replica's are all well and good but the thing I hate the most is this question "Is it a real one?" which is a legitimate question.   That is why I wouldn't buy or even consider trading my original Shelby for a replica, continuation etc....  Anyone can buy a new replica, no one can buy your original Shelby unless you sale it to them :-).

Some will say "Yeah but who has the $millions to buy the real deal", okay I understand that, but unless your racing it, invest your money in a real one of what you can afford IMHO.

The Flaw here is: By the time I save up enough to buy a REAL one, I will be on my Deathbed and THEN, I couldn't afford the Insurance, and then, I'd be too afraid to drive it for fear of getting even a single Ding on it and then there is the Parts issues, need a Master Cylinder? Good luck finding one.  Soooo, a  Replica or Continuation could be MORE valuable then the "Real Deal" to some people. 

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2024, 07:17:26 AM »
gotcha, you want to enjoy the ride

Muy Bueno !
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy