News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ford v Ferrari zero impact to our Shelbys

Started by FL SAAC, December 03, 2019, 10:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Ladies and gentlemen looking at this weeks box office totals, it looks like Ford v Ferrari is a financial success and has been well received by the great majority of movie enthusiasts.

The original cost of $97.6 million has been surpassed with world wide receipts of almost $144 million.

We loved it for what it was, pure entertainment and applaud its financial success.

But having said that unlike the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds" the Nicholas Cage version (grossed $237 ) this film Ford v Ferrari did not bring any attention or has generated any interest towards our Mustang / Shelbys.

What are your thought on this?

Have you seen a sudden interest in our cars like when Gone in 60 Seconds (Nicholas Cage) version played?

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

kjspeed

I'm glad that the movie was a commercial success but I'm not certain that it will bring much attention to the Mustang-based cars. The Cobras and GT-40s were the cars featured in the movie. There may be some bump in GT-40 replicas but those are relatively high dollar investments, not something the average guy can afford.

Maybe the Shelby name will be a little more recognizable. Or maybe the audience is primarily made up of people who already know a little about Shelby and the cars he had a hand in. Everyone in the theater when I saw it was a gray beard.

One result I would hope for is that Ken Miles gets the recognition that he deserves. But that won't translate into higher prices for Shelby automobiles in my opinion.

Then there's this: "Everyone I know under 25 isn't the slightest bit interested in cars — Greta Thunberg has killed the car show." - Jeremy Clarkson
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Shelby_r_b

+1^.  There was little to no screen time / mention of the Ford-based Shelbys (GT350s and GT500s). The movie was more about the GT40s and the Cobras; which is good by me, given the story / plot.

I didn't / don't expect there to be much uptick in the GT350s and GT500s.
Nothing beats a classic!

BGlover67

I wouldn't expect this movie to do much in terms of raising values of Mustang based Shelby's.  It was really about a friendship first and foremost, and an attempt to beat an established competitor second.  Since it was a success, perhaps it will spark the creation of a movie about Shelby's life.  That would be interesting, including all his 'Snake Oil Salesman' techniques. 

For instance, I kinda expected to see Mat Damon bring a potential Cobra customer out for a ride and have him slap a $100 bill on the dash while saying, "Son it's yours if you can reach it!", as he pulls a couple G's.  That's the stuff that was missing in the movie.  What about Brock creating the Daytona's?  Or painting CSX 2000 multiple times to fool reporters?  There is still definitely a movie to be made here, perhaps the Shelby family will see it, and step up and make it happen.  Then we can finally see Tom Cruise as Shelby.  :o
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

A-Snake

Quote from: BGlover67 on December 03, 2019, 05:39:16 PM
Or painting CSX 2000 multiple times to fool reporters?
It's so hard for urban legends to die :( CSX2000 was bare aluminum, then yellow where it was displayed at car shows and articles and finally blue. Only two colors in its life.

CharlesTurner

Wait until the Scottsdale auctions next month.   ::) ::) ::)
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: CharlesTurner on December 03, 2019, 07:34:16 PM
Wait until the Scottsdale auctions next month.   ::) ::) ::)

That's actually a good point. It'll be interesting to see what the market looks like after the January auction season.
Nothing beats a classic!

Bigfoot

The movie won't hurt. Put an 05/06 GT up there and it should do well.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Scott b

If your looking for the movie to raise the value of your cars you shouldn't  be in this hobby.

FL SAAC

+ 1 drive them !

Quote from: Scott b on December 03, 2019, 10:08:59 PM
If your looking for the movie to raise the value of your cars you shouldn't  be in this hobby.

I have all UNGOLD cars

BGlover67

Quote from: A-Snake on December 03, 2019, 06:56:31 PM
Quote from: BGlover67 on December 03, 2019, 05:39:16 PM
Or painting CSX 2000 multiple times to fool reporters?
It's so hard for urban legends to die :( CSX2000 was bare aluminum, then yellow where it was displayed at car shows and articles and finally blue. Only two colors in its life.

I'm only going by the documentary on Netflix produced by Shelby American, Shelby's son and grandchildren.  So you can't  blame 'Urban Legends' if the info is coming straight from the company and family itself. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

A-Snake

Quote from: BGlover67 on December 04, 2019, 08:21:24 AM

I'm only going by the documentary on Netflix produced by Shelby American, Shelby's son and grandchildren.  So you can't  blame 'Urban Legends' if the info is coming straight from the company and family itself.

Ok, so we'll call them 'tall-tales'. Like the tale told in this video about the first 100 Cobras being built using beer cans by the biggest teller. ;)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xXTeQ-vsQI&t=10s

427heaven

Quote from: A-Snake on December 04, 2019, 09:26:33 AM

Ok, so we'll call them 'tall-tales'. Like the tale told in this video about the first 100 Cobras being built using beer cans by the biggest teller. ;)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xXTeQ-vsQI&t=10s
When the leader of the pack is a TALL- TALE -TELLER and tells a lie, and all those around him swear to it as well, that's how these things get started. It gets to the point when truth and fiction get blurred and takes someone to read thru those statements to form a conclusion.  :-[

FL SAAC

All I have to say is, I dont remember what I had for breakfast this morning .... thats all I have to say about that

Quote from: 427heaven on December 04, 2019, 09:48:38 AM
Quote from: A-Snake on December 04, 2019, 09:26:33 AM

When the leader of the pack is a TALL- TALE -TELLER and tells a lie, and all those around him swear to it as well, that's how these things get started. It gets to the point when truth and fiction get blurred and takes someone to read thru those statements to form a conclusion.  :-[

I have all UNGOLD cars