Author Topic: Ford v Ferrari zero impact to our Shelbys  (Read 7582 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Re: Ford v Ferrari zero impact to our Shelbys
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 01:09:28 PM »
I guess you have to give an old man a lot of room for embellishment, especially one who was known to stretch the truth pretty regularly. 

I apologize that I was spitting back the typical fabrications, but to be honest, we don’t get a lot of Cobra facts and details on this forum.  They made almost an equal number of small block Cobras to ‘65GT350’s (roughly), yet we hear 95:5 more details about the GT350’s.  Why is that? Don’t shoot the messenger, but I think the Cobra owners are not interested in speaking with us non owners.  I imagine they must have another private forum they go on.  Folks like Dan Case, Ned Scudder and others do go out of their way, and I for one really appreciate that. But that’s about it.  Ok, enough venting. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 03:00:18 PM »
They made almost an equal number of small block Cobras to ‘65GT350’s (roughly), yet we hear 95:5 more details about the GT350’s.  Why is that?

I agree with you, while not to the extent you mention of 95:5 ;) There are 71 topics and 638 posts under CSX2000 while there are 130 topics and 1637 posts under 1965 GT350/R Model

What would you like to hear about or learn about on 260/289 Cobras?

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 03:31:49 PM »
Just an observation of mine regarding my AFFLUANT friends. Most don't repair, race, restore, or show their Cobras, GT- 40S. As the price tag goes up, the concern is more how to safeguard them with state of the art security systems, concrete and steel vaults, cameras, armed guards, you name it they have it.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 03:34:10 PM »
It’s not any one specific topic, it’s more just the day to day questions people ask about their cars.  I learn when a GT350 owner asks about details specific to his battery for instance.  We just don’t see the same traffic coming from the Cobra community, and that’s a shame.  They are such interesting cars, I’d love to learn more about them from this forum.  My point was that it can’t be because of their low quantity, there are technically less ‘65 GT350’s, yet there is way more topics dealing with them. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 03:53:25 PM »
Just an observation of mine regarding my AFFLUANT friends. Most don't repair, race, restore, or show their Cobras, GT- 40S. As the price tag goes up, the concern is more how to safeguard them with state of the art security systems, concrete and steel vaults, cameras, armed guards, you name it they have it.

Interestingly, these 26 original Cobras did not have concrete and steel vaults around them. Any mechanical issues during the tour were handled by the owners. In fact, just before the day in the snow, a front wheel bearing was replaced in the driveway of the hotel. BTW, tops are not used. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFhHvqdK6D4

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »

Interestingly, these 26 original Cobras did not have concrete and steel vaults around them. Any mechanical issues during the tour were handled by the owners. In fact, just before the day in the snow, a front wheel bearing was replaced in the driveway of the hotel. BTW, tops are not used. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFhHvqdK6D4

I can't imagine a worse car in a snow storm than a Cobra.

Lynn Park and the rest of those guys/gals are hardcore Cobra people.  And to do that 1000 mile event not just once, but year after year after year, is super-hero worthy. 

BTW: Most of those people are well into their senior-citizen years. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 05:15:23 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 05:42:08 PM »

I can't imagine a worse car in a snow storm than a Cobra.

Lynn Park and the rest of those guys/gals are hardcore Cobra people.  And to do that 1000 mile event not just once, but year after year after year, is super-hero worthy. 

BTW: Most of those people are well into their senior-citizen years.

Actually the cars did well in the snow, unless they were running Avon race tires. The more narrow tired 289's led the way for the 427's.

Easy on the senior-citizen remarks ;)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 05:50:11 PM »
That's why I said "most"... ;D

Smooth clutch application would be the key in that weather.   Did you encounter much ice on the roads?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 05:51:52 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 05:52:25 PM »
That's why I said "most"... ;D

Oh, I wasn't speaking for myself. ;)

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 06:19:22 PM »
The serious cobra guys have the '' COBRA COUNSEL" members only that they discuss cobra issues on.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 06:30:52 PM »
The secret society has been exposed.-   ;D

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 08:41:21 PM »
The serious cobra guys have the '' COBRA COUNSEL" members only that they discuss cobra issues on.

In part Cobras are tough to answer questions on because chassis contracts and finished car details got revised multiple times for each batch of cars. With AC Cars, Continental Cars, and Shelby American all doing final assembly in their own facilities, with different local hardware supplied by different suppliers with different people lots of  variations tiny to large were mixed into the finished cars.  The long time frame was also part of the equation as Cobra production was spread over several years.   In some way or another “today’s” sports car had to be better that “yesterday’s”.  If one has a grasp of how many parts and practices changed in let us say “1966 MUSTANG GT350s” made in a relatively brief time period in one place and how confusing all the variants can be to first time fans or buyers, multiply those changes by X where X might be a factor between 20 and who knows how many times to cover all of CSX2xxx cars 1961 through 1965.  How about COB/COX60xx chassis? Those cars are very different in many ways than CSX2xxx chassis built at the same time side by side. Most owners and restorers that I interact with often don’t even know where to begin asking questions about how day one might have been for their car(s).  Just asking what fuel pump and or fuel filtration did a Cobra use sounds simple but it is not and gets more complicated if final out the door installation details are included. More below.

The Cobra Council group of owners and former owners help each other in person, via broadcast message threads, or one on one correspondences.  The Club Cobra® Originality Forum has been a technical gathering place for fans, original Cobra owners, and replicar owners / builders. The AC Owner’s Club Cobra (Thames Ditton) Forum is also a technical meeting place but it is not widely used.  A very common scenario is somebody asks a question in public and then further correspondence is done one on one if I join in. I have collected a tremendous amount of material and most of it does not lend itself to posting in tiny text boxes in forum threads. Example: I am finishing up my research project on original mechanical fuel pumps and their installations including fuel filtration. My current draft slide show is more than 30 slides. I expect the total number of slides might get up to as many as 50 slides. The digital file is already too large to post on any forum I visit and that is just one of dozens of technical files.

Confining commentary and pictures to just typical STREET car fuel pumps. The subject became more complicated the further I got into it. I created a display stand so I could do side by side comparisons of pumps as Ford supplied them and how engine installers dealt with them. To cover all the possibilities lots of side by side comparisons are required. Here a a preview of one comparison made quickly with a cell phone. It covers most (highest number of cars) known Shelby American installations of just Shelby works modified pumps.

XHP-260 engines in early chassis:  There is a pump and its date code and then how three different shops accomplished the final installation including fasteners, fuel filter and its fasteners, lines, and hose clamps.  Include some information and pictures on similar pumps that might get one off track. You could also cover stock 4V induction system installations and optional 4V induction system installations with regards to fuel supply lines.

Chassis by number through CSX2125 with HP260 or 1963½ HP289 engines:  Almost the same as above including three different finally assembly shops.

Chassis by number CSX2126 onward with 1963½, 1964, post production 1964, and a few 1965 HP289 engines:  Pump model, date codes, fuel fittings, fuel lines, hose clamps, and fasteners by three shops. Include some information and pictures on similar pumps that might get one off track. You could also cover stock 4V induction system installations, optional 4V induction system, optional 2-4V induction system January 1964 onward, and the single 4-2V induction system during late summer 1964.

One reason you don't see many Cobra technical questions posted in public by owners is that most don't do much wrenching on their own cars.  The shop owners that have been working on these cars since as far back as 1963 have their own networks of contacts for information, materials, and parts.  Another is most Cobra owners don’t seem to have concerns about originality. Details one would not pass over on a typical 1966 MUSTANG GT350, even something like model of engine air cleaner, might be totally ignored in a Cobra.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:11:04 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »
Thanks for posting that Dan.  You are truly the exception to what I stated.  You are always more than generous with your knowledge and time, and it doesn't go unnoticed by all on this forum, thank you!

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »
What was everyone hoping would be the impact?
RARE  Signature Delete

68cobra427

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »
Impact is nothing will change.  I will take my 68 GT500 out with it's (69) match feb block/heads 427 so motor and drive it not trailer it. The only impact will be with the smile on my face.  8)

Just want to drive like I stole it.  ;D  Having the motor and not the GT40 is fine with me.

Time to enjoy what you have and don't look back.

Troy